Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bronze Age pieces from Neil Burridge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Bronze Age pieces from Neil Burridge         Reply with quote

Hi all,

A couple of pieces from Neil Burridge of Bronze Age Craft.

The first piece is one of Neil Burridge’s Ewart Park swords, finished by Neil himself. The pommel and plates are fashioned from Yew and are patterned after one of the Scottish Ewart Parks (in style rather than materials). The blade edges bare the hallmark edge-hardening lines of Neil’s work, which sees to reflect the practices of the original BA sword-makers.

It is a remarkably light blade, yet has the blade presence you would expect from a leaf-shaped blade. It is comfortable in-hand, especially lending itself to the handshake grip (although hammer grip is also comfortable).

I don’t know what to add beyond that this is a beautifully done piece. Neil, if you see this, thank you again.

The second piece is Neil’s basal-looped spearhead, also late Bronze Age, and representative of a number of finds across the British Isles (especially Ireland). I’ve yet to give it its final polish… but the pictures should speak for themselves as to the quality of Neil’s craftsmanship, especially given he complexity of the spearhead itself.

There is some uncertainty as to how these spearheads were attached to their shafts as they have both basal loops and rivet holes. I chose to rely on rivets alone, interpreting the basal loops as an attractive nod to earlier stages in the development of socketed spears. The shaft is ash and the wool binding is purely decorative, (although it also makes for a smooth gradation between socket and shaft.

Neil is one of the most gracious and helpful sword-makers I have dealt with and I heartily recommend both the man and the products to anyone who is not already familiar with his work (which is near legendary amongst Bronze Age enthusiasts).

You can see some of his work here:

http://www.bronze-age-craft.com/swords_for_sale.htm

David

Attachment: 137.67 KB
Picture 001c.jpg

Attachment: 140.12 KB
Picture 002.jpg

Attachment: 101.05 KB
Picture 003.jpg

Attachment: 104.14 KB
Picture 004.jpg

Attachment: 142.72 KB
Picture 005.jpg

Attachment: 139.18 KB
Picture 006.jpg

Attachment: 148.27 KB
Picture 007.jpg

Attachment: 149.97 KB
Picture 008.jpg

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always been an admirer of Neil's work, and this is no exception. I only wish I had the funds for a fully finished Ewart Park!

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
David McElrea

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi M,

Picking these up is a part of my longstanding goal to build a collection ranging from the Paleolithic to late Medieval periods. The thing is, there are an awful lot of attractive BA pieces out there, and it's always easier to justify spending the money on them because they are so much less expensive than the other periods (don't know why they are, but am thankful that this is the case).

It's a rough economy, but Neil's prices are exceptionally good value, especially given the quality of his work. It could be worth giving him a call, still.

David
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Hi M,

Picking these up is a part of my longstanding goal to build a collection ranging from the Paleolithic to late Medieval periods. The thing is, there are an awful lot of attractive BA pieces out there, and it's always easier to justify spending the money on them because they are so much less expensive than the other periods (don't know why they are, but am thankful that this is the case).

It's a rough economy, but Neil's prices are exceptionally good value, especially given the quality of his work. It could be worth giving him a call, still.

David

I suspect that prices are such as they are mainly due to the fact that later weapons are far more popular, and, hence, more demanded. Have to admit that this sword looks fantastic, I really wish I could justify purchasing one in current ecconomic situation, especially seeing that my primary period of interest is Late Iron Age. They just look so awesome you can't stop from wanting to get one into your hands, see how it handles, go through some fighting moves....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bronze Age pieces from Neil Burridge
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic