Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Next week: Spartan warrior vs. Ninja. I'm not kidding.

Here's how Imagine it:

Spartan Team: "We will defeat you with our superior discipline"
Ninja Team: silence
Spartan Team: "Maintain formation! ...hey, where did they go?"
Ninja Team: silence
Spartan Team: "No fair! Ref, would you tell those Ninjas to stop sneaking up on us?"

It's also funny how the Viking was not allowed to use arrows, and lost his shield before the final battle.

Nevertheless, I found the show pretty entertaining at a Comic book level (i.e., Who would win in a fight, Superman or the Hulk?). This was Spike TV, not PBS.

Some of the weapon tests, e.g., against forensic dummies, were pretty striking. They should donate their 'lab' to myArmoury when the show is done - now that could lead to some great experiments.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about the President of the US (ICBMs) vs. the Neanderthal mammoth hunter?
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find this show very entertaining in a 'wow, this is so dumbed down and hilarious, it makes a great sitcom' sort of way. It's Spike humor, so it's expected to be silly.

I fell off my couch laughing when the Apache was *ho hum* walking along through what appears to be the American Southwest and *boom* out pops the Gladiator roaring at him and charging him down. This was right out of a Star Trek Q episode. It was the funniest thing I have seen on TV in years.

I won't jump on the bandwagon and slam the show; because I knew going in it would have absolutely nil value as an educational resource. It's a Spike show; was it supposed to be different or have any real credability to begin with? I am suprised they don't work out someway to throw in the typical Spike cleavage, flatulance, or beer jokes. It is what it is, and I like it in a sort of campy sort of cheesy way... Laughing Out Loud

While they are at it, I wanna see a three-way cage fight between a ninja, a pirate, and a highlander! Razz

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Army ant versus ant-eater ....... No. but that would be silly. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Minimum value and I hope not too many people base their ideas about real history on this kind of stuff ? No real harm done to " educated people " but kind of scary to think what the clueless make of this kind of stuff ?

I wonder how much knowledge we take for granted that a lot of people currently don't have a bit of ? Talk about Romans to some people and they won't even have a clue what you are talking about ! Are there people out there who think that we had T.V. 500 years ago and that everything we take for granted in the modern World has always been there ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan P

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would suggest the AMAZON WARRIOR WOMEN vs ANDY KAUFMAN, the inter-gender wrestling champion of the world.
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find the hype around the tests on the ballistic gel dummies rather amusing, I mean what do you expect to happen when you hit someone in the back of the head with a tomahawk? I could probably reproduce similar results with a brick or a metal pipe. This sentiment rather stems from my envy of not having such an amazing test-cutting material, however.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon Wolfe wrote:
I find the hype around the tests on the ballistic gel dummies rather amusing, I mean what do you expect to happen when you hit someone in the back of the head with a tomahawk? I could probably reproduce similar results with a brick or a metal pipe. This sentiment rather stems from my envy of not having such an amazing test-cutting material, however.

My sentiments exactly. It's like watching someone use a Porche for demolition derby, because they have the money to do so but don't grasp what the real potential of the tool is.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I can remember, my interest in historical swords started with Star Wars and the old 80's cartoon Masters of the Universe when I was 3 or 4. Not exactly valid sources of historical swordsmanship. Maybe there are a few little fellas who caught this show and now have their interest sparked.....
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
As far as I can remember, my interest in historical swords started with Star Wars and the old 80's cartoon Masters of the Universe when I was 3 or 4. Not exactly valid sources of historical swordsmanship. Maybe there are a few little fellas who caught this show and now have their interest sparked.....

Good point! valuable if it stimulates some people to look up real history out of curiosity.

Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I'm in a minority here, because I actually liked the show, warts and all. A lot of it is total BS and guesswork, but I liked the whole "CSI-With-Historic-Weapons" thing. Massive damage to many many fake dummies, fight scenes, etc, etc. What I found most amusing was when they listed the Apache club as a "special" weapon. I didn't realize clubs were so unique and special. Laughing Out Loud

That said, I can't even begin to list their errors and unrealistic experiments, there were so many. Practically every test had issues. I realize anyone watching knows this, but what was with the "He's-wearing-armor-but-we'll-test-without/You-can-only-hit-the-armor", the compelete "I-guess-we'll-just-say-this-is-X-range-because-we-can", "Wow-when-you-hit-someone-with-X-they-get-hurt", and just the random trash-talking? I mean, come on people, this isn't a playground.

So, my little conclusion is: Amusing, but not really valuable except for the afore-mentioned dummy tests.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Army ant versus ant-eater ....... No. but that would be silly. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Minimum value and I hope not too many people base their ideas about real history on this kind of stuff ? No real harm done to " educated people " but kind of scary to think what the clueless make of this kind of stuff ?

I wonder how much knowledge we take for granted that a lot of people currently don't have a bit of ? Talk about Romans to some people and they won't even have a clue what you are talking about ! Are there people out there who think that we had T.V. 500 years ago and that everything we take for granted in the modern World has always been there ?

I had a year 9 class around 2 years ago, was doing a unit on ww1, got to the bit about conscription in Australia, student asked me if I had been conscripted. I said "Hu? ww1 ended in 1918!" kid said "yeah, but didn't we have conscroption in vietnam?" I looked at him blankly... "Vietnam was done and dusted by 1972..." "yeah" says the kid..."I'm 31" says I. Kid raises 1 eyebrow. I continue, "its 2007..." nothing..."When was I born if I am 31 in 2007?" nothing "subract 32 from 2007"
pause...
"oh" says the kid.

Later on, unit on 11th century england, watched a BBC special about the Harolds (battlefield Brittain? cant recall) and a girl asked wheather the footage was real, coz she tought it was black and white back then, and this was in colour.

We teachers do what we can, but sometimes students start a looooong way back.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Figured I'd give this show another chance. This evening I watched the Viking vs Samurai episode.

I'm going to ignore the historical accuracy mistakes entirely because, frankly, they're not really on-topic in my opinion as these types of shows aren't meant to be about historical accuracy. (This includes ignoring "Viking longsword", "ringmail", "diamond-hard sword edge", no padded armour under the mail, two-handed throwing spears, armour weights, unmounted Samurai, one man carrying every type of weapon at the same time, ninjas, etc. etc.)

I have to say that the last part of the show that shows the combat exhibited some of the absolute worst fight chirography I've ever seen anywhere. It was complete garbage and I mean that mainly from the the point of view of entertainment. Looking further and trying to look only as combat, I cringe even more. To look at it as something that might have been seen by the warriors being portrayed would be absurd. Both actors completely failed.

Who are the experts they get for this show? The Viking experts, in particular, weren't well versed in combat techniques (historical or otherwise), arms and armour (their selection wasn't particularly Viking--anyone else notice the double-headed axe with a top spike? what the hell was that?), and they were terrible at trashtalking.

Now, again, I'm not looking for an academic lesson or even a slightly accurate portrayal of history, but given that this is supposed to "test" the two types of warriors, I'd imagine that they'd at least get some of the variables in the right ballpark. Much of what they were putting together as "data" for their end-of-show simulation was completely off-based--far, far, far more than most television shows of this type by miles.

Let me say that this harsh critique comes from a guy (me!) who generally enjoys a lot of these types of shows found on the History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. I've always argued the point of view that viewers have to let go and enjoy these types of shows for what they are--entertainment. I consider even the ones that are trying to be educational (which this one really isn't attempting to do, in my opinion) only attempting to do it in the most basic, basic ways--and that's fine because television is a medium of entertainment. I'm also a viewer of Spike TV and a huge MMA fan, for what that's worth, and yet this show leaves me completely flat.

I still have to repeat that this show was not at all entertaining to me. The format isn't particularly well done, the fighting technique is terrible, and the idea of running simulations based on the extremely limited amount of data is just an absurd concept to me.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steven McIntyre

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*facepalm* http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1281313/episodes
~PER ARDUA~
Christopher VaughnStrever

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

episode 4.... Pirate vs. Knight... what the>? That has to be the worst match up in the entire season. I have not watched them yet. But come on did these guys smoke crack and then write warrior class names on little pieces of paper and throw them in a hat and pull them out two at a time.

I vote we as a communtiy, put together a true program to historical accuracy and compare the knight vs. samuri!

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven McIntyre wrote:
*facepalm* http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1281313/episodes

I just checked out the list of episodes yet to air Eek!

Is this show for real? I mean I know its on TV, the show exists; what I mean is, is it a spoof? Laughing Out Loud

Lampooning these sort of 'educational' shows on the history channel?

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
episode 4.... Pirate vs. Knight... what the>? That has to be the worst match up in the entire season. I have not watched them yet. But come on did these guys smoke crack and then write warrior class names on little pieces of paper and throw them in a hat and pull them out two at a time.

I vote we as a communtiy, put together a true program to historical accuracy and compare the knight vs. samuri!

Totaly unbalanced, but in whose favor depends on where this battle takes place.

"Yarr, Avast Sir Shiney, watch out for the yardarm!"
:Forssoth, foul seaman, prithy what is a" * CLUNK*"oww
*splash*
blubblubblub....
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This "show" is such ammount of male cow manure I can't even start to place it togeather - they take some more or less fantasy elements out of each culture and then somehow try to weight them against eachother using pseudoscientific talk and pretense. Complete and utter crap, IMO. Sure it is fun to see someone smashing up ballistic gel dummies... but it serve absolutely zero purpose.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I have to say that the last part of the show that shows the combat exhibited some of the absolute worst fight chirography I've ever seen anywhere. It was complete garbage and I mean that mainly from the the point of view of entertainment. Looking further and trying to look only as combat, I cringe even more. To look at it as something that might have been seen by the warriors being portrayed would be absurd. Both actors completely failed.

Who are the experts they get for this show? The Viking experts, in particular, weren't well versed in combat techniques (historical or otherwise), arms and armour (their selection wasn't particularly Viking--anyone else notice the double-headed axe with a top spike? what the hell was that?), and they were terrible at trashtalking.

Well in real life we have random actor #1 versus random actor #2 who are just guys in a costume who have zero expertise in any kind of historical fencing ( or fencing of any kind except maybe stage fighting at best ), now add to that no real expert to stage the action ! So what you do have is a big costume and props bin and two guys who don't know what they are doing playing at being a Viking, Knight or pirate based on all the film and T.V. clichés of the last 100 years making it up as they go !

Some of the simulated cutting tests may have some entertainment value but not much if the arms used are really poor examples of what the real ones would be like.

At the top I would agree with Nathan that much of this can be fun if we refuse to take it too seriously but there is a minimum level of realism needed for it to be entertaining ...... otherwise a Road Runner versus Coyote and ACME weapons is more informative and certainly more fun. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Oh, I don't have cable or satellite T.V. and I haven't seen this show so I'm basing my opinion on what I can imagine this show is like from other people's posts.

Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, I don't have cable or satellite T.V. and I haven't seen this show so I'm basing my opinion on what I can imagine this show is like from other people's posts.

Don't worry Jean... you've basically seen the show just from reading the posts. Laughing Out Loud I've only seen the Apache vs Gladiator. And the only reason I wasn't completely appalled was probably because I knew next to nothing about Apache warriors to begin with. So I really had no idea whether the information was accurate or not. After reading the posts about the other episodes, reading the episode lists and match ups, and seeing the ballistics gel tests once, I don't think I'll be watching anymore episodes. I'd like to avoid getting an aneurysm from screaming at the TV.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only thing that lure me in the show was that jello ballistic man. I wanna try cutting it with my swords. Big Grin Other than that, I looked at it with no expectation and just wanna see how they messed up the data with that conclusion video at the last part. LOL~! How could Viking won almost all the way on data and lost the fight that way? LOL!
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior
Page 2 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: