Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Apr 13: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 

How interested are you in Italian arms and armour items?
My absolute favorite!
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Very interested
40%
 40%  [ 70 ]
Moderately interested
34%
 34%  [ 60 ]
Only vaguely interested
15%
 15%  [ 26 ]
I have no interest in Italian arms and armour
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 172

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, I think it may have been an error with the " Quote " marks placement were your comments were in the body of the my text and I didn't read the whole thing ? At least this might be it ? The text seems fine now.

Oh, getting back to your reply: Yes the ricasso on the Doge is unsharpened and the ring does seem intended to protect the finger but as Bill mentioned in his review he also liked the handling of the Doge without using the ring in a fingering grip.

The small gap between the ricasso and the ring could let a blade hit or cut the finger if it slid in just right: This may just be a design problem with an early type of complex hilt that doesn't protect the finger as well as it could ?

I was just speculating that this ring could be used to trap an opponent's blade and be another possible use of the ring ? Maybe not a use designed for but it is something that could be used this way.

The Condottiere seems very similar but the gap looks smaller than on my Doge in the pic:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm

The Machiavelli also has finger rings but of a more evolved type that would solve the problem of an opponent's blade sliding in through the gap ! I assume that as hilts got more complex the first things to be improved would be little hazards like this. Wink Laughing Out Loud
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm

Sort of gives a hint that this gap was more a design error than a feature useful in trapping a blade as the later guard of the Machiavelli does away with it.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm surprised by the results of the voting poll.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joseph P. Timperio

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: The voting in the poll         Reply with quote

Ten years ago, I might have been suprised; everything Italian has come into vogue, from coffee to clothes: And now, (happily) Swords. Viva Italia!
"Every war ought to be methodical, because every war ought to be conducted in conformity with the principles and rules of the art and with an object...The favorable opportunity must be siezed, for fortune is female-if you balk her today,you must not expect to meet her tomorrow."
-NAPOLEON-
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted "Very interested", but then I also love Italian design in clothing, shoes, cars, bikes, women, and many other things.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Apr 13: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: