Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reproduction project for an early ancestor of a Schiavona Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mattia Perroco

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reproduction project for an early ancestor of a Schiavona         Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm Mattia from Noale near Venice (Veneto) and I my new project is to reproduce an early ancestor of the Schiavona that could be used during the War of Chioggia (1378-1381).
In details i need some reference for a "S" shape crossguard and a shield shape pommel during this period. I find that this shape could be originated from Serbia and Hungary, but I'm not able to find any museum/effigy source.
Could you be so kind to help me please?

PS: sorry if my english is not good.

Have a nice day,

Mattia
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

never mind Confused

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Sun 23 Mar, 2014 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think you will find any such sword earlier than 15th century...
Mattia Perroco

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

quoted from "The Schiavona and its Influences" article from Nathan Robinson:
"The "cat's head" pommel, called katzenkopfknauf in German, can be found on surviving examples of cross-hilted swords of the 14th century. Many of said examples can be traced into the hands of Slavonic soldiers stationed in southern Europe and in the employ of the armies of Spain and Venice.

These swords have hilts with a square or rectangular pommel and feature a raised circular boss within its center and a horizontally recurved cross-guard, often so curved as to form circles. Guards of this same type can be traced to 14th and 15th century Hungarian swords, having similar pommels with less squared and more shield-like shapes.
"

I'ts been a month that I'm searcing for these swords, but I don't find anything yet.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mattia Perroco wrote:
quoted from "The Schiavona and its Influences" article from Nathan Robinson:
"The "cat's head" pommel, called katzenkopfknauf in German, can be found on surviving examples of cross-hilted swords of the 14th century. Many of said examples can be traced into the hands of Slavonic soldiers stationed in southern Europe and in the employ of the armies of Spain and Venice.

These swords have hilts with a square or rectangular pommel and feature a raised circular boss within its center and a horizontally recurved cross-guard, often so curved as to form circles. Guards of this same type can be traced to 14th and 15th century Hungarian swords, having similar pommels with less squared and more shield-like shapes.
"

I'ts been a month that I'm searcing for these swords, but I don't find anything yet.

I'll try to find some from Croatia. Cat head pommels maybe, but S-curved cross in 14th century, I seriously doubt it...
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one, I found it on Viktor Berbekucz's site, he says it is from a museum in Berlin...

Mattia Perroco

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Any other info about it?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oakeshott says in Records it was probably a type XII sword, 1200-1250, it was found in Rhine and is now supposedly in Museum für Deutsche Geschichte, Berlin. I can't find it in their database.

Here is one possible proto schiavona from around 1400:
http://dhm.de/datenbank/dhm.php?seite=5&fld_0=AK004334
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just found an Elgur sword inspired by it: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=294730377346204&set=a.294730204012888.1073741836.100004277317910&type=1&theater
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction project for an early ancestor of a Schiavon         Reply with quote

Mattia Perroco wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm Mattia from Noale near Venice (Veneto) and I my new project is to reproduce an early ancestor of the Schiavona that could be used during the War of Chioggia (1378-1381).
In details i need some reference for a "S" shape crossguard and a shield shape pommel during this period. I find that this shape could be originated from Serbia and Hungary, but I'm not able to find any museum/effigy source.
Could you be so kind to help me please?

PS: sorry if my english is not good.

Have a nice day,

Mattia

Marko Alexksic describes Schiavonesch swords in 'Medieval Swords from Southeastern Europe'. His 'O family' of swords are 1 hand or 1.5 hand, have a cat's head Z3 pommel (although more squarish than shield shaped) and S shaped cross and XIXa blades. Most are from 15th century but he says there are several that can be dated firmly (for example by Arabic inscriptions) to your desired time period. I would reccommend getting hold of this book (see sections on Z pommels and type O family, as well as some of the catalog listings and pictures at end of book).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reproduction project for an early ancestor of a Schiavona
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic