Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > An Interesting Hudson's Bay Knife Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: An Interesting Hudson's Bay Knife         Reply with quote

I was recently browsing through an antique shop and was stopped dead in my tracks by a Hudson's Bay knife in a display case. The proprietor was kind enough to take it out of the case and let me examine it. I, by no means, fancy myself to be an expert on antiques but I'd tend to place a bet on authenticity in this case. the knife appeared to be in or near unused condition and had a Sheffield identification on one side of the blade.

In many ways the knife seemed typical of others that I've seen in museums but this was the first one I've had a chance to actually handle and I was impressed by both its utility as a tool and its potential to be a devastating weapon. The handle was typical of most that I've seen with two large rivets and brass bolsters mounted to the front face of the handle but the blade seemed somewhat unique. It was about 8 1/2" inches long, very wide, probably about 2 1/4 inches and quite thick, about 1/4 inch at the back. What struck me though was that the shape of the knife blade was convex while most of the ones I've seen and most of the reproductions that are being made are straight wedge shaped blades in section. The blade swelled out 1/16" of an inch or more from the back on both sides which gave even more weight and chopping power to the tool. It reminded me of some axe blades in this regard. The other thing about the blade was that it had a much finer clip point than most of the knives of this type that I've seen either originals or reproductions.

It was close to closing time and I didn't have my camera in hand so I didn't take any pictures but the more I think about this knife the more I think I should go back there and take some pictures and measurements.

One of the things that occurred to me is that I haven't come across any mention of knives or swords having this type of convex or teardrop section and wondered if it was, in fact, uncommon.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > An Interesting Hudson's Bay Knife
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic