Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fiore and Ringneck Swords by Albion Armorers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Fiore and Ringneck Swords by Albion Armorers         Reply with quote

Hi All,
I was looking through the various reviews of swords by Albion Armorers on this site. I must say the reviews are very well done, accurate, and provide excellent information. I then visited Albion's website, and I found two swords that I really like, the Fiore and the Ringneck. I noticed there were no reviews of these swords on the Hands-on-Review page, so I just wanted to ask all of you fine people out there, if any of you own either of these swords, could you please tell me the sharpness and handling characteristics of these two swords. I found both really attractive, but before I purchase, I would like to know more about the extent of sharpness and the handling characteristics. Thank you in advance for your time.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Ringeck and Fiore share a blade with the Talhoffer and Agincourt, which we have reviewed. There will be some differences in handling due to the hilt furniture, but it's the same blade.

Albion Armorers Agincourt Sword

A hands-on review by Alexi Goranov

Albion Armorers Talhoffer Sword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own the Ringeck. I bought it primarily for its simple aesthetic appeal (I'm more of a collector than a reenactor/test cutter type). The review of the Albion Talhoffer that Chad has posted should tell you all you need to know about the Ringeck to be honest, since in many ways they are the same sword.

I would say that if you go for the Ringeck you should bear in mind that it is a thrusting type sword and not primarily a cutter - therefore it is not as sharp to the touch as many other swords. That said, a sword does not have to be razor sharp to cut things; in my own limited experience of cutting with it I found that the Ringeck doesn't tend to do well against tougher targets such as small bottles (though my poor technique might have a big part to play) but still cuts relatively easily through larger heavier targets such as 4L water bottes and melons. It's lethality still lies in the thrust though, and it's tip will penetrate any target with ease.

This video shows someone doing significant damage using the Ringeck:

http://www.truveo.com/Some-test-cutting/id/3736716275

Hope all that helps.

Emmet.
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys. I have heard that both of these swords are good for the Liechtenauer swordfighting style, so I have now only to decide which one looks better.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fiore and Ringneck Swords by Albion Armorers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic