Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Discriminating General (Military Heritage) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryce W

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: The Discriminating General (Military Heritage)         Reply with quote

Hello all, I have been coming across references to the discriminating general, and wondered if any of you had any dealings with them in the past. If so, would you recommend their products? In particular i am interested in their flintlocks as would like to get into reenacting. So once more, any information would be appreciated
Thanks
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bryce-

Welcome to myArmoury.com!

I have moved this topic to the off-topic forum. It was in the Historic Arms Talk forum which is described as "Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods". Since you're asking about a vendor, and not actually discussing historical arms and armour, the off-topic forum is the right place.

I wish I had some input about the discriminating general. I've never heard of them. Do you happen to be referring to Military Heritage by any chance?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bryce W

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey there

Yeah, sorry about that, I just found/joined the forum, so I'm not entirely sure of everything there is. And yes, apparently i was referring to Military Heritage.
Ken Berry

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to do a lot of RevWar reenacting and have heard of discriminating general. I saw one of the flintlocks a few years back, an acquaintance had bought it, his impression was that it was not bad. When i looked at it I agreed but it was a cursory look and I don't know how it functioned in the field.

You might take a look at loyalist arms website. Another canadian outfit with a large line of black powder weapons, flint, percussion, and some matchlocks even. I have yet to purchase anything from them but they have heard some good feedback about them through the grapevine.
Todd Webber

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would recommend The Discriminating General for purchasing a musket, two years ago I purchased a Brown Bess from them and have no major problems with their product.

I recommend having a gunsmith check the products as their site recommends, however their products are used by many people in the War of 1812 community. There are fairly inexpenive and good for people getting into re-enactments.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've purchased swords from them in the past and have had no trouble with the transaction. The quality of the product was commensurate with the price. Certain items such as their 1796 sabre are made in India by the same source that manufactures them for Cold Steel, and can be had for less from DG.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Discriminating General (Military Heritage)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic