Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sneak Preview - The Vigil Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Why is the spiral grip the default standard grip for this model? Is this an option that Albion will be looking at for other models, and will the standard grip of other models ever be available for the Vigil?

I agree it would be nice to have the standard option available as the jury is still out for me on the new grip.
Personally I think it would look killer with a grip like my squire's.
Dan
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Why is the spiral grip the default standard grip for this model? Is this an option that Albion will be looking at for other models, and will the standard grip of other models ever be available for the Vigil?

On that note I wish Albion would offer the small option of grip choice. That being a choice of riser(s), cord wrapped grip, spiral grip, etc. It would go a long way in my opinion.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Stephan Johansson

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll find the spiral cord grip having a bit to large thread diameter making the spiral look to coarse.
But if its historically correct I'll can live with that Happy

Best Regards
Stephan Johansson

IN NOMINE DOMINI
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
A non-black grip? What is this world coming to? Happy Razz

Hey, I have layers! Big Grin
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
A non-black grip? What is this world coming to? Happy Razz

Hey, I have layers! Big Grin

So you're and ogre?

On a serious note I am still trying to justify getting one with the one still employed only part time as a substitute teacher. Though I guess I could pony up the down payment and see about setting up payments. Or keep saving and have a custom XIIIb made. Decisions decisions. Confused
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am with Dan in that the spiral cord grip is yet to grow on me from a purely aesthetic point of view, although I am certain for my tastes it would look fine in a dark colour. This is because the spiral grip gives such bold visual contrast to the grip surface it almost looks too overwhelming in the lighter colour shown, whereas in a dark colour the contrast would be mitigated and the overall effect more subtle.

I would imagine however that ergonomically this spiral grip is better than the standard one due to the material directly under the leather being cord not wood.

As for grip options on swords you always have too keep in mind that Peter always carefully considers what he thinks is appropriate for each sword and the effect of the grip configuration to the swords overall aesthetics and ergonomics. I initially thought a riser at each end may be a solution but on reflection any riser that was thicker than the spiral wrap would probably be too bulky in appearance.

Regardless it is a great sword and I hope to have one sometime. If I did I would probably go for a blue spiral grip and blued fittings.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
On a serious note I am still trying to justify getting one with the one still employed only part time as a substitute teacher.

I know what you mean. If this one hadn't been on my "must have" list for years I doubt I would have made the plunge. As it was I had to sell off several lesser pieces to justify it, as well as working a big chunk of voluntary but unwanted overtime. The Kelly family hasn't been hit financially by current events, with both of our jobs being pretty secure. However, with the current climate I just don't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on non-essentials like this. This one's likely to be the last sword added to my collection for quite a while.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I am with Dan in that the spiral cord grip is yet to grow on me from a purely aesthetic point of view, although I am certain for my tastes it would look fine in a dark colour. This is because the spiral grip gives such bold visual contrast to the grip surface it almost looks too overwhelming in the lighter colour shown, whereas in a dark colour the contrast would be mitigated and the overall effect more subtle.

I don't like the lighter brown color choice and never have, regardless of the model it's used on. I like the cord wrap under the leather covering as it adds strength to the grip structure, but I have to admit it was a bit of a surprise for me on this particular model. I was expecting a grip similar to that in the concept drawing. In the end it's no big deal to me and will add another level of variation in my collection. Although it's a far different sword this is the same treatment used on my Svantes grip and it's one of my favorite things about that design.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Well, it looks pretty close to me compared to another shot. However, I can see a little bit of what you're saying on the right arm.

I think you're seeing an optical illusion caused by the photography and lighting.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I applaud Albion for adding more grip variety to their lineup. I understand perhaps not offering different options per model, as I can see it adding strain to the production stream and odd product variety in the marketplace, but still am glad to see them pursing variety within their offerings.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I don't like the lighter brown color choice and never have, regardless of the model it's used on.

I'm not a huge fan of the light brown either, but I love how Howy's personal Next Generation Knight sword looks. It has a "campaign worn" grip and "worn and pattinated" fittings. A really nice effect. I think it could work on other models, too, but not every one.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Paul wrote:

I don't like the lighter brown color choice and never have, regardless of the model it's used on. I like the cord wrap under the leather covering as it adds strength to the grip structure, but I have to admit it was a bit of a surprise for me on this particular model. I was expecting a grip similar to that in the concept drawing. In the end it's no big deal to me and will add another level of variation in my collection. Although it's a far different sword this is the same treatment used on my Svantes grip and it's one of my favorite things about that design.

I agree with Paul and Patrick about the color perhaps ruining the effect for me. I do not personally find most campaign worn grips attractive. In fact ,with the squire, since both the pics in the myArmoury review and on Albion's website were a campaign brown that i found unattractive, i somewhat overlooked the model. However, after seeing a forum member's in oxblood it began to grow on me and is now one of my favorites in the lineup. I think something similar might be going on here as after Patrick mentioned that the grip was the same style as the Svante's I went back and looked at Patrick's pictures....and I found that style growing on me. I'm still a little undecided....but it definately looks better (to me at least) in a darker color....now to see in in oxblood Wink
Dan
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about this to ponder:

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
On a serious note I am still trying to justify getting one with the one still employed only part time as a substitute teacher.

I know what you mean. If this one hadn't been on my "must have" list for years I doubt I would have made the plunge. As it was I had to sell off several lesser pieces to justify it, as well as working a big chunk of voluntary but unwanted overtime. The Kelly family hasn't been hit financially by current events, with both of our jobs being pretty secure. However, with the current climate I just don't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on non-essentials like this. This one's likely to be the last sword added to my collection for quite a while.

Luckily for me it has not been on my "must have" list. Until now that is. Luckily I have 10 days still to decide, though 3 of those days are weekends leaving only 7! Aargh. Though all the pics that are being posted with the different color grips are really making it tough on me not to go ahead with it. I would just rather maintain peace here in the household though.

Scott
Stephan Johansson

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This grip definitiely looks best in a dark color, even if the Svante looks really good in its lighter color. It would be interesting to see the Svante sword in Oxblood.
Best Regards
Stephan Johansson

IN NOMINE DOMINI
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any chance Brian or Dan you could whip up an image of the Vigil with a dark blue grip and blued fittings?

The grip on this must be even shorter than the Knight, because even though the Vigil has no rivet block the overall sword is shorter but its blade is longer than the Knight. Therefore I am glad it has the pommel it does (similar to the Oakeshott pommel I have said is so fantastic) because this will be so comfortable against the heel of the hand especially when doing cuts with the wrist.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, i heard back from the guys at Albion today. The typical grip will not be available (and a bare wood grip so I could do my own wasn't an option either) so it looks like I'm getting the spiral. I hope I'm right and it grows on me.
Dan
Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blue looks really nice. But I like light brown also. Double fullered blade draws looks to it so the grip can also be a bit distinguished without taking the glory away from the blade.
Eric SC

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Uh oh,

First time I'm seeing this and it's within the special ordering period barely...and I love the double fullers. My Sovereign is among my favorite pieces too and this looks a beaut......

Decisions decisions....

Eric
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got mine!

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15953
Eric SC

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ARRGH,

Didn't...need...to see...your...review....!

Very nice write up and images.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sneak Preview - The Vigil
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: