Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > what was in a falchion's off hand? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andy C. Nystrom

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: what was in a falchion's off hand?         Reply with quote

This question is Falchion specific. Falchion's are not typically large blades, so with that in mind what did a soldier use in his off-hand. Shield or buckler, or did he use a poinard type weapon? If they did use a shield what kind, maybe it's just me but I would think using a full sized shield along with a falchion would be somewhat cumbersome. I could be wrong, I don't know and seek clairification.
G.Alan Beck

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Falchion's Offhand         Reply with quote

Greetings Andy.Although not an devotee of the Falchion myself I remembered seeing the following pics while researching sword & buckler use.The first is from Adam Van Breen's"Mars & His Field" written in 1618.The second is from Leonard Fronsperger's 1565 treatise "Book of War".The last pic is from a book if I remember correctly regarding the Battle of Agincourt.Also in this book was a reference to the English Archers being armed with"short,curved bladed swords & small shields"(bucklers?).Although the banner is obscuring the end of the blade(last pic) the slight curve in the blade leads me to believe this IS a Falchion.I seem to remember reading a book on English Longbowmen in the War of the Roses also being armed with "short curved bladed swords & small shields".Although definitive evidence is tough to come by,it is not a giant leap to assume that due to the Falchion's usually short blade length a buckler would have been a constant companion.Hope this helps.

Attachment: 37.15 KB
Falchion pic1.jpg

Attachment: 29.11 KB
Falchion pic2.jpg

Attachment: 29.34 KB
Falchion pic 3.jpg

In Ferro Veritas

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > what was in a falchion's off hand?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic