Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Del Tin quality Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Jerry Knox

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Del Tin quality         Reply with quote

Hi all.

I noticed that Kult Of Athena has some new Del Tin swords in, at a price I feel like I could maybe afford, but I have never handled a Del Tin. Could someone possibly give me a description of the qualities of a del tin relative to both better and lower quality swords (i.e. atrim, windlass, hanwei) that I HAVE handled so i can try to make a good decision?

I am looking for all of the usual metrics; fit, finish, handling, construction, historicity, etc...

Thanks!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have reviews of quite a number of Del Tins on our reviews page.

Del Tin was, for a number of years, the standard bearer of affordable production swords. They can be a mixed bag in terms of handling. Some are great; some are okay; some send are not good. In terms of weight, a number of overweight, some are spot-on, and a couple are under-weight.

They aren't sharpened, but can be. The lack of sharpening is partially due to Italian law restrictions and partially due to them being designed to be used as blunts or sharpened into acceptable cutters. They can cut fine but won't cut quite as well as a sword designed to be sharp.

Some Del Tins loosen in the hilt and require re-peening.

I still consider them better than many swords in the range. They look better than, and are more visually accurate than many Windlass swords and Atrim swords. They can be more durable than some Windlass swords.

But you kind of have to know the model well as the particular sword you're looking at could be anywhere from really good to less than good.

They are often a good value for the price.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a few Del Tins, but haven't bought any for awhile. In general, they are a step up from companies like Windlass and Hanwei, but a step down from the Big 3 (Albion, A&A, ATrim). As Chad said, they are usually a pound or so heavier than the originals they are modelled after. Some handle fairly well, others feel a bit dead in the hand. Any ATrim will feel significantly livelier. Sometimes there are some flaws in cast portions of the hilt like the pommel. All have been given a gray finish, so if you want the blade to shine, you'll have to remove it. Many use them for sparring and stage combat, but as Chad says, the hilts tend to get loose and you must repeen the pommel.

It depends what you want to use this sword for.

For costume and stage combat, they are fine, though they may get loose and nicked up from the latter.
If you want a demon cutter, get an ATrim.
If you want a sturdy sparring sword, get one of the Tinker/Hanwei blunts (though they haven't yet been proven), an Albion Maestro, or a Darkwood rapier blunt.

If you do want to get one, KOA has them at a significant discount.

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Tue 16 Dec, 2008 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll chime in my two cents. I have several Del Tins on my wall, and the main reason I like them over lesser swords (and over some of the "Big Three"), is that they have a certain look to them that really says authentic sword to me. It's just a visual thing, and has nothing to do with their performance in cutting, sparring, or handling. I agree with all the comments made thus far by others. It's just that to a collector (such as myself) who wants a great visual display, Del Tins are hard to beat, for the money or for looks.

I DO own a couple of Windlass swords, several A & A, and an Albion, too. I just can't afford to cover my wall with as many of these, nor would I want my collection to be of only one or two makers. Variety can make a sword collection much more interesting and inspiring! Happy

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in and say, wow, those prices at Kult of Athena are quite good on the Del Tin items. At that price point, they're quite the value in my opinion. I'm surprised, frankly, expecting them to come in a big higher.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still have several Del Tins in my collection and enjoy most of them. A couple of them rank among my absolute favorites. A couple others, well....

I haven't done much cutting with mine. That being said, I've had two DT's that I've had hilt loosening with -- their two-hand Claymore and the Mainz Gladius (although, with the Gladius, it may be a function of the expansion and contraction of the wood used for the grip. I'm not sure...). Perhaps If I did more cutting with DT swords, I'd experience more loosening.

And the weights do vary a lot. Some are spot on, others are overweight for what they are (that two-handed Claymore, for instance, is a pound, maybe more, heavier than it should be. Most of their Viking swords are quite overweight, with the possible exceptions of the 2104 and 2105).

Like Roger, I feel Del Tin swords are good "mid-range" swords. Better than Hanwei or Windlass; not so much compared to Albion/Atrim/A&A. And there are a few swords DT makes that can't be beat -- for instance, DT's Falcata is the best production Falcata currently available, IMHO (how I wish someone would make a Falcata or Kopis of better quality and accuracy on a production or semi-production basis!).

Del Tin used to be the standard. They aren't anymore, but Fulvio still puts out a decent product, still worthy of consideration.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Last edited by David Wilson on Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
James Barker

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I just wanted to chime in and say, wow, those prices at Kult of Athena are quite good on the Del Tin items. At that price point, they're quite the value in my opinion. I'm surprised, frankly, expecting them to come in a big higher.

I know several people who have picked up Del Tins at these prices though Jim at Viking shield; I am not shocked KoA is selling them at those prices.

I own a couple of Del Tins I picked up at good prices; I agree with what is said above. They have the right look and are much better than the cheap swords and not as nice as the so called big 3. I think of them as the lowest quality sword that is expectable for living history; they have the right look and feel but tend to be a bit heavy.

My only concern with my own are that the cast cross guards and pommels tend to rust and pit much faster that the blades because they are not as well made as the blades.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:
I know several people who have picked up Del Tins at these prices though Jim at Viking shield; I am not shocked KoA is selling them at those prices.

That's excellent. I had thought they'd be about 20-25% higher. I've wanted to get a DT5131 falchion that I could keep. I had one at one time but traded it away. Always did like that model.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jerry Knox

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for all of the great info. I do have a question though; where are the ID numbers coming from that several of you are referencing? (e.g. DT 1531)

As a side note, I have always loved sinclair hilted swords. That dussack definitely caught my eye...
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jerry Knox wrote:
thanks for all of the great info. I do have a question though; where are the ID numbers coming from that several of you are referencing? (e.g. DT 1531)

If you want to see all the ID numbers, look here - http://www.deltin.net/elenco1.htm -

At KOA, the number is at the top of the inside description for the part. - the opposite end of the line that starts with Battle Ready (sic) It doesn't jump out at you, but it is there

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Tue 16 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my hope is that KOA eventually expands the line to include the 5155 GBS....always coveted that one greatly.

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, those are some nice prices !

I've been considering purchasing a Del Tin, but I'm leary due to their reputation as "beefy".

But I keep going back to them, because they offer swords that the "big three" just don't offer.

I'm partial to late 15th to 16th century complex hilted swords (especially backswords and schiavonas), and you just don't see them offered elsewhwere. The closest I find is from A&A in their selection such the #192 Town Guard Sword, or their #164 Cavalier Rapier, which are both beautiful swords. But they both use the same old same old diamond cross section blades, which I'm just not partial too. Give me something with fullers ! The more the better ! Wink

Albion can't seem to offer anything along those lines (maybe I'm incorrect).

Three Del Tin models I love:

http://www.deltin.net/2159.htm

BACKSWORD. Venice, late Fifteenth Century. Steel hilt with horizontal recurved ends, nuckle
guard and ring protections for the hand. Round steel pommel. Wooden grip wrapped with leather.
Single edge steel blade. Overall length 109cm. Weight 1480gr.

http://www.deltin.net/6150.htm

Infantriman sword. Venice, late 15th Century.
overall lenght cm 95, weight 1280 gr.

http://www.deltin.net/5173.htm

SCHIAVONA SWORD. Veneto, 1630. Overall lenght cm 98, blade cm 83. Weight 1450 gr
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris-

It's been quite some time since I've handed these two models, but my memory tells me that both the DT2159 and the DT6150 have good dynamic properties. I once owned the DT2159 backsword and liked it very much. Its handling properties are better than the DT6150.

I own the DT5173 schiavona and it's quite nice for the price with good dynamic properties.

Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sad news, KOA just hiked the price of each model they carry up about $50 accross the range.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
I'll chime in my two cents. I have several Del Tins on my wall, and the main reason I like them over lesser swords (and over some of the "Big Three"), is that they have a certain look to them that really says authentic sword to me.

Same here.

Wink

They're really nice for what they are.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i remember when del tin was like the top dog. then i remember seeing a lil shop at the VA ren faire with swords that i just couldn't afford Wink (ala A&A)
Eric Edelmann

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When it comes to the weights of these swords. Can comparing a sword of similar design tell you whether a Del tin is going to be one of the good ones.

For an example, the Albion Baron War Sword is similar length and weight of the Del Tin Medieval Hand and a Half Sword (DT2142). I know this is surly comparing apples to grapes in quality, but does this indicate handling characteristics at all?

Eric E.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Edelmann wrote:
When it comes to the weights of these swords. Can comparing a sword of similar design tell you whether a Del tin is going to be one of the good ones.

For an example, the Albion Baron War Sword is similar length and weight of the Del Tin Medieval Hand and a Half Sword (DT2142). I know this is surly comparing apples to grapes in quality, but does this indicate handling characteristics at all?

Eric E.

Not really. I've owned both of those swords. They don't handle anything alike. While weight and overall length are similar, the Baron's blade is about 1/2 an inch wider at the base. The fuller on the Baron is more broad, though, and the mass distribution totally different. The PoB is an inch and a half different between the two swords. Happy

The 2142 is a nice sword, though. If there were no Albion Baron, I'd probably still own mine.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Del Tin 5155         Reply with quote

Bill,
A Work Of Art has the 5155 at a decent price:

http://www.arts-swords.com/item/DT-DT5155.asp

Good luck!
Bill

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was really excited about the Kult of Athena prices and was going to put in an order for a couple, but in one day since I checked it out ,the prices jacked up significantly. Very disappointing. I am now rethinking my order.

With that being said, I still think they are a decent value, and as stated by others here, have many offering you just don't see elsewhere and aethestically have some really nice looking pieces.

If I never saw the lower prices, I probably would have been happy and just welcomed the opportunity to be able to purchase del tins through this vendor, but seeing the rapid price hike has taken the excitement away for me. I would hope it was not a teaser and just reflects the falling dollar, or an initial mistake in pricing. But it took the wind out of my sails....

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Del Tin quality
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: