Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords from various Cultures Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Swords from various Cultures         Reply with quote

I was thinking about what type of sword I generally consider buying, and most of them are of a style that has come from an area of Germanic influence. I just love the way these particular swords look. So I was wondering what cultural background do your favorite swords comefrom?

--sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this--
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I happen to be a collector mostly focused on late 15th-15th century pieces, despite the cultural connection.. but the Germanic and Venetian wares almost always stick out above the rest for me, personally.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Bowditch

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin
I'm on a completely different continent (in terms of interest) -- Southeast Asia. My passion is the dha, a sword used throughout continental Southeast Asia, which we care coming to believe has its origins among the Tai people of what is now Yunnan Province in China. Virtually nothing is written about them (for example, the actual name of the sword isn't even known -- "dha" just means "saber," like "dao" in Chinese), but they are really fun to collect because they come in an endless variety of styles and dress. I am collecting photos of examples on a web site devoted to dha study, the Dha Research Index. I hope to expand the site soon with more photos, and articles on the dha, its origins and manufacture.
Douglas Peters

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty torn between Scottish, English, and German. All of these are the places my family come from, and I'm starting to like those big "War Knives" more and more. Then again basket hilts have probably become my favorite type of single hander, and I'm really starting to like dirks and sgian dubhs, so I guess I'll have to go with Scottish. Then again, I have little idea about the subtle differences between them, so maybe someday I'll decide I like the styles from elsewhere.

Last edited by Douglas Peters on Fri 23 Apr, 2004 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

17th-18th century Scottish swords for me ...... w/ German blades of course ;-) Mac
'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Shawn Duncanson

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Germanic of all ages Sabres of all types and Caucus (shashka, kindjal, quaddara, qamas) area weapons seem to float my boat. Currently though I seek the two handed sabres and kreigsmessers
Not all who wander are lost.
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Bowditch wrote:
Big Grin
I'm on a completely different continent (in terms of interest) -- Southeast Asia. My passion is the dha, a sword used throughout continental Southeast Asia, which we care coming to believe has its origins among the Tai people of what is now Yunnan Province in China. Virtually nothing is written about them (for example, the actual name of the sword isn't even known -- "dha" just means "saber," like "dao" in Chinese), but they are really fun to collect because they come in an endless variety of styles and dress. I am collecting photos of examples on a web site devoted to dha study, the Dha Research Index. I hope to expand the site soon with more photos, and articles on the dha, its origins and manufacture.

"I know that dude!"
Sean Penn (Jeff Spicoli), Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Big Grin

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I tend to lack overall focus right now, but mainly 14-17th century.

As for region; I bounce from German, to Scottish, to Italian, to Spanish, to German, to English, to German.

I figure the German interest is because my ancestors are primarily German. Same for the Scottish stuff. The rest are a hodgepodge from NW Europe and the Isles. Oddly fewer Scottish pieces appeal to me than do German itmes even though its about an even ancestral split.

I really like some of the larger German swords and the armour is great. I suppose the Italian and Spanish reflect a mild rapier fascination, so perhaps the civilian side of things there?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 10 May, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Dha Swords         Reply with quote

Mark Bowditch wrote:
Big Grin

Dear Mark,

How close in style do you think the Dha swords you have seen to my Champa swords?

Attachment: 29.88 KB
Champa Swords.JPG

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 May, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I jump around so much in my interests that it's beginning to get annoying for me. For a period of a couple months I'll be totally into 15th European century arms and armor, then, suddenly, I'll be completely into 17th century Euro arms. And then back again. Lately, however, I've been really into 18th century Euro arms (hangers, smallswords, baskethilts, sabers, flintlocks, etc.). Since most of my family comes from northern Europe (Germany and Norway) and the British Isles (Wales and England), most of my weapons are of that type. My new Darkwood rapier is of an English pattern, for instance. I think for the first time I've become very content in the 18th century, so I think that this is where I will stay....
Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Mon 10 May, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dha Swords         Reply with quote

John Piscopo wrote:
[
Dear Mark,

How close in style do you think the Dha swords you have seen to my Champa swords?

Hi John:

I think the "Montagnard" dha of the Vietnam and Laos highlands are markedly similar to your swords.

Andrew

Attachment: 17.27 KB
ATW128.jpg

-Richard Milhous Nixon
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Mon 10 May, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another example:

-Richard Milhous Nixon
Allen W

PostPosted: Tue 11 May, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I run gamut from bronze age Europe to modern East Asia but always return to Northern Europe and Japan from the fifteenth to seventeenth centuries in both cases.
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Dha Research Index         Reply with quote

Mark Bowditch wrote:
Big Grin

Dear Mark,

You have my permission to copy the picture of my Champa Dha swords to your Dha Research Index if you wish to do so.

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm... mostly traditional Japanese (nihonto) and high-quality custom Japanese-styled.

Also like a bunch of Euro designs - renaissance era stuff, Germanic, French, Italian. Also swept hilt rapiers. But I haven't found the motivation to actually spend money on any of them yet...
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like 9th and 14th century swords, specifically Anglo-Saxon migration pieces and 13th century bastard swords.
Jose Albovias

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I focus on mainly on Filipino-Moro bladed weaponry, followed by Indonesian-Malaysian, Middle Eastern, Scottish (and a piece or two from America, Africa, India, and Japan).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords from various Cultures
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic