Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Swordless Custom Scabbard Orders Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Well, I've decided against the idea of collecting with the intent of template purposes. But I'm seriously considering the "hey I've got a (XX) sword, who wants a wood core scabbard for one" thread.

If you're talking about items from your own collection, I don't see a problem with that. If you're talking about making multiples off a customer's sword, I'd think you'd need their okay for that since you're essentially keeping their sword longer to make more cores off it.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Brian K. wrote:
Well, I've decided against the idea of collecting with the intent of template purposes. But I'm seriously considering the "hey I've got a (XX) sword, who wants a wood core scabbard for one" thread.

If you're talking about items from your own collection, I don't see a problem with that. If you're talking about making multiples off a customer's sword, I'd think you'd need their okay for that since you're essentially keeping their sword longer to make more cores off it.

You have a point, but considering my turn-around times are usually 1 to 2 weeks once I start, I'm not sure an extra 3 to 5 days would not be a problem. I'm considering all of the pro's & con's to this, and I merely brought it up for discussional purposes because I knew I could count on the community here to supply me with other points of view. Once again, something to consider though, Chad.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far. So thank you, thank you very much.

Edited: I had to correct my typo as I originally said 3 to 5 days would be a problem. I meant I don't think it would.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Last edited by Brian K. on Tue 10 Feb, 2009 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When this thread arose I was already thinking about the possibility of having a scabbard for my Yeoman made without having to ship it. If the Yeoman is a model for which that option becomes available I will likely take the chance.

JSA
Jim J

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Leather Scabbare         Reply with quote

Brian;
Hi I just bought the Albion Crecy sword from you but could not afford at this time to have you make a scabbard for it. Also I am too attached to my swords to ship them off for custom work. just a quirk of mine.

Have you ever considered making an all leather basic sheath like Christian Fletcher does? Inner core oak tanned leather non corrosive, outer core chrome tanned leather. It seems to me that this kind of scabbard could be made to measurements from the buyer with a little looseness built in to be safe. I would be interested in this type of scabbard as I only use the scabbard for moving the sword from room to room and for light transport so a custom period scabbard would not be cost effective for me.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Leather Scabbare         Reply with quote

Jim J wrote:
Brian;
Hi I just bought the Albion Crecy sword from you but could not afford at this time to have you make a scabbard for it. Also I am too attached to my swords to ship them off for custom work. just a quirk of mine.

Have you ever considered making an all leather basic sheath like Christian Fletcher does? Inner core oak tanned leather non corrosive, outer core chrome tanned leather. It seems to me that this kind of scabbard could be made to measurements from the buyer with a little looseness built in to be safe. I would be interested in this type of scabbard as I only use the scabbard for moving the sword from room to room and for light transport so a custom period scabbard would not be cost effective for me.

Yeah, a relatively inexpensive storage/safety scabbard at least ? I know that often I won't buy a sword because it doesn't come with a scabbard and waiting for one to be made is something like a year and sending it to somebody to make a scabbard can also be a long and risky proposition. As well being in Canada it makes shipping back and forth even more expensive and annoying having to deal with customs clearance and taxes.

Actually, an all leather scabbard could be minimalistically functional or could still be a full artistic effort.

With the simple all leather scabbards I have gotten with a few A & A swords and dagger I have found that I can glue extra leather narrow strips at the throat to make the fit snugger if they are too loose initially or if they get loose over time: If you supplied some " non-corrosive " leather strips with the leather scabbard almost anyone could do this kind of DIY fitting, or at least any of us who are confident that they could do this fitting could order a leather scabbard.

Would have to be shipped in a rigid tube, maybe a PVC tube to protect it from being bents in half in shipping. Wink Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Oh, many brands of swords or daggers don't come with a scabbard because they are not sharpened, but since I can and will sharpen them after I get them I need a scabbard as I don't think a sharp should be just lying around " naked " for safety reasons as well as wanting to be able to wear them on occasion.

Or, some scabbards supplied by the maker are either ugly or badly designed ! I do have a Windlass falcata but the scabbard is hopelessly " wrong " in every way and only better than nothing: Open for most of the back with the falcata held in place by a strap with a snap in a mostly insecure way ! WTF?!

Anyway, just one example where a leather scabbard that need not be a precise fit would still do the job with or without a little DIY work.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jim J

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well said Jean; I heartily second this suggestion.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my wish:

I make the poplar core because I have the blade and the woodworking skills. Then I send you the core for expert covering. Shipping would be reasonable because the core will fit in a packing tube.

That way I don't have to invest in large amounts of leather I probably won't use, and I won't have a nice core hidden under a botched DIY leather cover.

What would you estimate for that service?

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim J wrote:
Well said Jean; I heartily second this suggestion.

Another consideration I've been pondering actually. I just need to come up with a professional solution to a profitable seam up the backside without hand-stitching it together. I've seen a well done seam that was stitchless, but I'm not sure how it was done.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Here's my wish:

I make the poplar core because I have the blade and the woodworking skills. Then I send you the core for expert covering. Shipping would be reasonable because the core will fit in a packing tube.

That way I don't have to invest in large amounts of leather I probably won't use, and I won't have a nice core hidden under a botched DIY leather cover.

If it were sent ready to go i.e. sanded & varnished I would subtract $125.

Now here is the problem with that, unless you're ok with a leather chape. If you're looking for a metal chape, I have pre-made bucks I use to pound out my chapes, and your wooden core's tip may not match my buck. Therefore the chape wouldn't fit properly.

Another problem would be if someone sent me a wood core that didn't meet 'expectations'.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:

Sean Flynt wrote:
Here's my wish:

Now here is the problem with that, unless you're ok with a leather chape. If you're looking for a metal chape, I have pre-made bucks I use to pound out my chapes, and your wooden core's tip may not match my buck. Therefore the chape wouldn't fit properly.

Another problem would be if someone sent me a wood core that didn't meet 'expectations'.

Yes, I can see that you'd probably get everything from perfect cores to 2x4s joined with lag bolts Laughing Out Loud But your estimate seems quite reasonable. Shipping would probably add another $25.

Not everyone who chooses this option would need a chape. I'd make my own, and I'm sure others would as well.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would be willing to do this on a case by case basis, with small print of course referring to no 2x4s & lag bolts Laughing Out Loud . But this method would also require a deposit beforehand. Something else to consider is how the rain guard fits the guard of the sword, which I cannot anticipate without the sword. That is another custom element I do that makes 'em look good.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Brian K. wrote:

Sean Flynt wrote:
Here's my wish:

Yes, I can see that you'd probably get everything from perfect cores to 2x4s joined with lag bolts Laughing Out Loud But your estimate seems quite reasonable. Shipping would probably add another $25.

Not everyone who chooses this option would need a chape. I'd make my own, and I'm sure others would as well.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Brian-

In my humble opinion, this topic is full of bad ideas.

I would suggest stepping back and looking at this not from the perspective of the final solution, but as per the problem that you're wishing to solve. From there, you can find a solution to that problem (or problems) and make compromises when difficulties arise. It's difficult to assess such things when you look at the end-goal and muddy it up with all these opinions. Look at the source problem instead.

For example, if the source problem is:

"I want more sales and I feel that the point of entry to my products may be too large for many customers because they do not want to add so much money via shipping charges on top of the sword and scabbard price. This creates a final price that is prohibitive to many customers. Further, customers feel there is a risk to adding additional time in transit that may lead to loss or damage."

One solution may be:

Offer to new sword buyers the option of having the sword shipped from the manufacturer directly to you. From there, you can make the scabbard and ship the completed ensemble to the customer. This saves two rounds of shipping, perhaps averaging $40-$50. Determine if this constitutes enough savings to settle the problem, and if it does not, consider additional incentives such as offering up free shipping to the customer, saving them an addition $20-25. This would total an average of $60-$75 but would only cost you $20-25 to do so. One additional upside would be that the full ensemble would be completed and in the customer's hands quicker then doing it in stages. Your turn-around seems fast, and so this might be a reasonable solution for you whereas it isn't for people with large backlogs and long project completion times.

Regardless, this addresses both issues described in the source problem: final cost and shipping risk.

Then consider the downsides to this solution:

This would only attract customers of "new" swords and not allow them to handle the sword prior to purchasing. Would this turn away too many customers? Is the savings enough to balance these problems? If it is not, is there a way to add additional incentives to sweeten the deal?

That's just one example, but it shows the process of thought that often goes into these types of decisions. The key in business is not to get muddled up with solving problems related to "solutions", rather to solve problems related to customer needs.

If I were to run the same process on the "swordless scabbard" idea, I'd come up with far more issues that benefits. I'm not sure if that would be a good balance point for me, personally. I'd also consider if I actually had a real interest in being a "core maker" and just how many customers would be interested in this. If the number isn't great, then what is the benefit of doing so? It might be more harmful in terms of marketing than helpful and the earnings wouldn't offset such harm.

This is a version/subset of the standard business practice of "SWOT Analysis". In this process, one looks at an issue by considering: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunies, and Threats.

I don't know. Food for thought...

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I knew I opened a can of worms a few posts into this thread. You have pretty much addressed my consensus to the whole situation, but it was nice to receive the feedback that I did. I've already eliminated the idea of taking swordless scabbard orders. The discussion may or may not bring up alternative ideas or solutions. In any event, I applaud the reception.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Hi Brian-

I would suggest stepping back and looking at this not from the perspective of the final solution, but as per the problem that you're wishing to solve. From there, you can find a solution to that problem (or problems) and make compromises when difficulties arise. It's difficult to assess such things when you look at the end-goal and muddy it up with all these opinions. Look at the source problem instead.

For example, if the source problem is:

"I want more sales and I feel that the point of entry to my products may be too large for many customers because they do not want to add so much money via shipping charges on top of the sword and scabbard price. This creates a final price that is prohibitive to many customers. Further, customers feel there is a risk to adding additional time in transit that may lead to loss or damage."

One solution may be:

Offer to new sword buyers the option of having the sword shipped from the manufacturer directly to you. From there, you can make the scabbard and ship the completed ensemble to the customer. This saves two rounds of shipping, perhaps averaging $40-$50. Determine if this constitutes enough savings to settle the problem, and if it does not, consider additional incentives such as offering up free shipping to the customer, saving them an addition $20-25. This would total an average of $60-$75 but would only cost you $20-25 to do so. One additional upside would be that the full ensemble would be completed and in the customer's hands quicker then doing it in stages. Your turn-around seems fast, and so this might be a reasonable solution for you whereas it isn't for people with large backlogs and long project completion times.

Regardless, this addresses both issues described in the source problem: final cost and shipping risk.

Then consider the downsides to this solution:

This would only attract customers of "new" swords and not allow them to handle the sword prior to purchasing. Would this turn away too many customers? Is the savings enough to balance these problems? If it is not, is there a way to add additional incentives to sweeten the deal?

That's just one example, but it shows the process of thought that often goes into these types of decisions. The key in business is not to get muddled up with solving problems related to "solutions", rather to solve problems related to customer needs.

If I were to run the same process on the "swordless scabbard" idea, I'd come up with far more issues that benefits. I'm not sure if that would be a good balance point for me, personally. I'd also consider if I actually had a real interest in being a "core maker" and just how many customers would be interested in this. If the number isn't great, then what is the benefit of doing so? It might be more harmful in terms of marketing than helpful and the earnings wouldn't offset such harm.

I don't know. Food for thought...

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jim J

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian; I'm sorry to hear that you've decided against making swordless scabbards. I can well understand the pitfalls that you have to consider as a business man and entrepeneur. However, remember we're talking of a basic utility sheath and not a custom fit period scabbard to proudly display a sword in. I know that there's a good sized segment out there of which I am one, who would benefit from such a service.

I have several "high end" swords in my collection that I would purchase such a sheath for since they did not come with a scabbard and I am not willing to ship my swords off to have custom work done. I realize that is my own personal problem but I am not alone in feeling this way. If you have definitely decided not to pursue this venture, perhaps there is someone out there reading this thread who might be interested in providing this service to a segment of the sword collecting public. Here's a suggestion; why not do a simple voting survey on this or any forum as to who would be interested in this service. that way you would not have to be inundated with suggestions on how to do it. Simply spell out what would be offered, with all the caveats, and ask for a simple yes or no vote.

I know that in today's economy things are tight for both the vendor and the buyer.....I wish I had the skills to offer this service as I know I would not be able to keep up with the demand. I sincerely hope you will reconsider your decision on this matter.
Best of Luck, Jim
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Here's my wish:

That is an interesting angle.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily opposed to making what you discussed earlier. I just need to figure out a way to seam up the leather without hand-stitching. Because oak-tanned is too thick for a machine to stitch.

Jim J wrote:
Brian; I'm sorry to hear that you've decided against making swordless scabbards. I can well understand the pitfalls that you have to consider as a business man and entrepeneur. However, remember we're talking of a basic utility sheath and not a custom fit period scabbard to proudly display a sword in. I know that there's a good sized segment out there of which I am one, who would benefit from such a service.

I have several "high end" swords in my collection that I would purchase such a sheath for since they did not come with a scabbard and I am not willing to ship my swords off to have custom work done. I realize that is my own personal problem but I am not alone in feeling this way. If you have definitely decided not to pursue this venture, perhaps there is someone out there reading this thread who might be interested in providing this service to a segment of the sword collecting public. Here's a suggestion; why not do a simple voting survey on this or any forum as to who would be interested in this service. that way you would not have to be inundated with suggestions on how to do it. Simply spell out what would be offered, with all the caveats, and ask for a simple yes or no vote.

I know that in today's economy things are tight for both the vendor and the buyer.....I wish I had the skills to offer this service as I know I would not be able to keep up with the demand. I sincerely hope you will reconsider your decision on this matter.
Best of Luck, Jim

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some sword designs might be easier to make a scabbard for if they have a strait guard and the top of the scabbard need not follow some curves ?

The customer might be able to draw a close tracing of the sword's outline and send that to you ? Better than going from just numbers, maybe ?

Nathan did bring up a lot of negatives at least as far as getting into this to deeply before being sure that customer satisfaction and expectations can be met with a minimum of " failed " attempts that don't work out !

The standards of fit would have to be very different than the standards one would expect from a scabbard made in optimum conditions but for " utility " scabbards the requirements should be lower.

You might try doing a few one-offs with selected clients who understand and accept the risks just to see if it works before committing to offering this as a standard service.

A good example is that I may be buying a Del Tin Cinquedea from Kult of Athena when they have one in stock and since there are no scabbards available for Del Tins at the moment I would have to make my own or get someone to make one.

Sending it to the scabbard maker is an option but I much prefer to not do so.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also be interested in the swordless scabbard, like others I am loathe to send a sword away for a period of time, but would like the protection of a GOOD LOOKING leather scabbard for safety and aesthetics

Randy W

Randy Westgate
Adam O'Byrne

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, this post has finally got me to try to contribute to the discussion =)

I'd first like to say Brian K. that your fine craftsmanship has made me gain a deep appreciation of sword in general. It might seem backwards but to me I always preferred other weapons because the sword was always lacking something to me, but seeing a fine sword resting in a fine scabbard seemed to amplify the craftsmanship of both pieces and completes the picture. So Thank you, to you and all who make swords and scabbards an art form. =)

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Hi Brian-

I'm Going to have to respectfully disagree with your first point Mr. Robinson, I think this topic is full of good ideas and opinions from a segment of Brian K. 's ( possible future ) customer base, I hope that these ideas and opinions might reveal a new path or two to explore, at very least offering some encouragement for such good work.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Here's my wish:

Mr. Flynt, in my opinion has an excellent Idea, as you say though it would need to be on a case by case basis , but I can see allot of potential in this line of thinking. If you gave instructions ( not revealing your trade secrets of course ) on how to measure and make a basic wooden core, I believe there are those that would jump at the opportunity to be a part of the creation of their scabbard. If you also had your client take pictures of their home made core and E-mailed it to you, you might be able to save on shipping if it obviously isn't up to spec.

I know I feel a greater connection with things that I have had a hand in making or modifying, maybe with scabbards its the same thing Wink

Thanks to everyone on My armory for your fine work, your time, and passion for history, weapons, and Art - Adam
Beau Salsman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also like to throw in my support for swordless scabbard idea. I'm firmly in the camp that won't send a blade off to have it custom fit. If it comes down to waiting to purchase both a new sword and scabbard at once, or get the new sword that much sooner, let's just say I have several blades that don't have scabbards. Happy

That being said, I'm well aware that semi-custom or worse, generic, scabbards aren't going to be of the same fit as a custom. I'm fine with that idea. I very rarely recreate or portray anyone above a common soldier, so I don't feel the need for a lot of what goes into a high-end scabbard. *Which isn't to say I don't appreciate the craftsmanship and work that goes into them.*

Just my .02 cents

Cattle die, kinsmen die
the self must also die;
but glory never dies
for the man that wins it.

The Havamal
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those wanting a "swordless scabbard" made:

I'm curious what you guys would pay for such an item. What is your budget?

I'd imagine that the same work will need to go into such a scabbard (as far as the maker is concerned) as one with the sword "in hand". So that means that the cost may be $300-$500, or even more depending on the details.

Is this something you guys would spend? Does it affect your decision to know that the scabbard might not have the best fit to your particular sword?

If the scabbard arrives and does not fit, how is that to be remedied? Who flips the bill for the shipping costs associated with the original shipping, the shipping back to the maker, and the re-shipping to the customer? Would the maker need to have the sword "in hand" on the second time around to fit the scabbard to it? Who flips the bill for the work required to take apart and re-engineer the already-completed piece?

Does this risk affect your decision to purchase such a product?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Swordless Custom Scabbard Orders
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: