Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Excalibur picture search Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Excalibur picture search         Reply with quote

In the thread about mythical swords alot of people have mentioned Excalibur. I was thinking why don't we see how many pictures or drawing ot images of that sword of swords we could come up with.

What do you all say?

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Hochmann Cyril

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say this link can interess you ^^

http://www.albion-swords.com/Discerner/Discerner_Inspiration.html

"What doesnt Kill you makes you stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Brad Harada

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you'd find as many varieties and styles as there would be respondents. Excalibur is one of those archetypes - everyman's sword, whose form is only limited by the imagination. An interesting anecdote: I was having dinner with a friend who knows about my passion for collecting swords. She has no idea about Oakeshott's typology, really doesn't give a damn about the time period in which a historical Arthur might have existed, and yet, when I asked her if she were to own a sword (in the broadest sense), what would she want? Her response: "Excalibur."

I was intrigued by her answer so I asked her to sketch what she thought Excalibur ought to look like on a napkin (we were sitting in a fast food restaurant). What she drew looked like a longsword version of either the Henry V or Albion's Kingmaker, complete with a proportionally lengthened grip, down-turned cross and wheel pommel (a good candidate for a somewhat modified XVIIIc, I thought). When I noted that the proportions made it look longer than a single handed sword she replied that it ought to be long enough to "swing with either one hand or two - just like in that movie" (I'm guessing Boorman's Excalibur). She described the blade as being engraved and inlaid with gold "with the symbols of the Lady of the Lake" (whatever that means). She then said that she imagined the guard and pommel engraved and inlaid with gold scrollwork (blued as well, though she put it as "black with gold engraving"), and that the pommel ought to have a ruby red jewel in the center (on both sides). She also said that in her mind, the grip would be wire wrapped.

Now, I'm pretty sure she's seen Boorman's "Excalibur" but what she drew and described, aside from the wire wrapped grip, is very different from the sword seen in that film. Her sword sounds rather gaudy to me, but this is what she thought it should look like; her version of Excalibur, uniquely hers. I suspect that if you asked 100 people, you'd get 100 different answers, each one just as unique!
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like she is also pulling from the sword design in Disney's animated Arthur movie.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember reading somewhere that early descriptions of Excaliber gave the impression that it was made of bronze, both hilt and blade, the crossguard (is there a more... majestic name for that bit? Confused ) was two serpents (snakes rather) intertwined, and something about rubys I think.
personally, people who want the sword can take it, just leave me with the scabbard Wink

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if you plan to store your sword under water, bronze is obviously superior to steel! (Sorry, couldn't resist...) All seriousness aside, there are those who suggest that the original concept of the sword in the stone dates back to the Bronze Age, when swords were sometimes cast in stone molds. Now, strictly speaking, the Arthurian Sword in the Stone was *not* Excalibur, but....

Brad, sounds to me like your friend came up with a great sword!

Matthew

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Excalibur picture search
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic