Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A work in progress... M1860 Cav Sabre into Shashqa Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: A work in progress... M1860 Cav Sabre into Shashqa         Reply with quote

Gentlemen (and Ladies if present),

Seeing as how this seems to be a bit more serious forum... I thought I'd release this a bit early. This is a work in progress, in which I've finally started to actually make a bit of progress. Manoucher asked me to post it after I'd shown it to him, and I initially hesitated, as it's simply not finished yet.

After much consideration, I've decided to go ahead and post.. The link below represents the current status of the project.

Briefly, what I've got, is a webpage somewhat chronicling the rebuild of a M1860 US Light Cav sabre blade, purchased in M1904 Hungarian fittings, as part of the Hollywood Costume buyout, which I in turn purchased on Ebay.

I was looking for an ambidextrous sabre, with an antique blade, so as to have something that my sabre students could learn to cut with, as well as to be able to let those in the kenjutsu dojo I am a part of, have the opportunity to cut with an authentic western weapon.

I knew that to get something I would be happy with, and that would meet my criteria, I'd either have to spring for a nice, Caucasian shashqa, or modify something existing. I did not want to destroy a historical piece, so I decided that a bare blade was the way to go.

About this time, the hollywood costume selloff was going on on ebay, and I purchased this sabre, which was apparently used in "Charge of the Light Brigade" Finally, over the last two years I've worked on it a bit between other projects, and have finally started to make real progress.

Now i need to find someone to do some simple lost wax casting for me, to create hilt fittings, and to assemble them onto the sword.

As it stands, the sword is solid, properly weighted and balanced, and is quite sharp. I have cut up to 2 inch green bamboo with it, and have been amazed at how well it performs. Oh.. yeah. reference that... It cuts better than my PK or Golden Oriole, and is lighter, faster, and far more alive feeling than either of them.

Please take a look at the following: http://www.geocities.com/moniteur12/myshashqapage.html

Comments of course, are welcome.

Thanks all
Chris

Edit: I cleaned up the webpage a bit to more correctly illustrate my thoughts, and to make sure that it matched what I said here. sigh. I have brain cells.. really... Confused

Attachment: 91.54 KB
[ Download ]

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Hmm... no interest. sigh. ok.         Reply with quote

Hrm....ok.. maybe a video from last year... Just trying to generate a little interest. This was taken by a friend during the dojo's annual tameshigiri day (which explains the hakama and gi) but by the end of the day we're cutting with anything sharp we can get ahold of... thus my shashqa. http://members.cox.net/moniteur/chris_01.avi

Seems that shashqa just aren't a lot of peoples cup of tea....

anyway, thanks for looking.

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, might as well make a comment out from the midst of the peanut gallery... Wink It looks nice to me. While shasqua are not my prime interest, I've had a bit of hankering for a good one, maybe a bit into the fantasy field with a 2 hand grip. Ofcourse, I've also got a desire to own a nice karabela, yataghan, shamshir, kilic, etc... Yep....

Anyway, the changeover you've made is quite a huge improvement and seems like a fine blade.

I used to look over some of those auctions on eBay with the old film swords and really should have got in on some of them. I saw a couple that were very nice, to say the least. As always, having no spare money plagues me and I missed out...
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: A comment...cool         Reply with quote

Now I dont feel like a total loser... thanks!

Seriously though, there were some good deals to be found in amongst that buyout... especially since it was really a pretty limited range of swords, it would have been pretty easy to pick up 4 or 5, disassemble, reassemble and have 1 or 2 returned to their original configurations.

I paid $80.00 for the sword I purchased... it had a M1872 Lt. Cav Scabbard (blade is m1860, because it lacks the deep (2 to 3 mm) m1872 marking... but they're the same blade... I traded that scabbard to Mike McWatters for an old 10"
drawknife.. The guard that came on my blade has been reused on a bare blade owned by my fencing coach. I built a poplar core, same wrapped handle for it.. The blade was an Alex Coppel (Solingen) cavalry troopers blade... and the guard looks GREAT on it, where it looked really bad on my blade.

So, for 80$ I got a vintage blade, a big drawknife, and parts to use on another blade. not bad.

I wish I had picked up one of the Taras Bulba shashqa that were for sale... sigh. oh well..

Whats fun with this shashqa, is that it totally discredits the idea that the M1860 was an inferior design, couldn't cut, etc etc.. everyone in my dojo who's cut with it... loved it..

The blade has held its edge very well... and I've cut LOTS of cardboard fencing equipment shipping cartons with it, plus probably about 100 bamboo cuts.... It seems to be well heat treated, nice flex, returns to true nicely.. its perhaps a little softer than we might want today - but that kind of seems to have been the rule with those blades, as I understand it...

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally think we suffer a fair number of misconceptions about what would and wouldn't 'work' since we view with the modern eyes of our culture and often can't relate to other views. Just my opinion, ofcourse, but there it is...
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
I personally think we suffer a fair number of misconceptions about what would and wouldn't 'work' since we view with the modern eyes of our culture and often can't relate to other views. Just my opinion, ofcourse, but there it is...

eh....yeah.. as an example... some of the people running around with new repro katana - some of these things are over engineered to the point of absurdity.. we see it all the time on various fora, "I want a katana that is razor sharp, super tough, and that I can chop dumpsters with, and I want it sextuple pinned because 1 isn't good enough!' erm.. ok. whatever.

I think we get some weird ideas of how strong something has to be to be workable, or how heavy/thick/beefy...

just as a thought, I pulled my Golden Oriole and my stripped down PK project sword apart... and really looked at them closely... other than the pk having a bit more curve, and less distal taper, they're so close to the same that it really doesn't bear notice... aesthetically the GO is better looking, and feels a little better in the hand, its less point heavy... but to call them vastly different....nahh... they're so similar its not even funny...

Somehow I doubt the guys back in the 15-1700's really sweated it too much if their sword was a millimeter less thick than their buddies, or if it tapered 52.4523% from hilt to tip in thickness, vs, their friend whose sword was 53.254% taper, but a millimeter thicker at the base.. Sometimes I think we analyze things to death. Probably we're doing it because its hard to convey handling in words - but maybe, just maybe, its because we're on the computer too much, browsing the forums, and not training enough... Happy

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A work in progress... M1860 Cav Sabre into Shashqa
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic