myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions on heavy cavalry. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
I'd think for poorer knights, a riding horse and warhorse would be one in the same.

I'm not so sure about that. After all, the distinction between the riding horse and the charger is based on the idea that the charger is supposed to be faster and to be able to carry more weight at the cost of endurance while the riding horse ought to have great stamina and a smooth gait that allows comfortable long-distance travel. And would any warrior have been accepted as a man-at-arms if he couldn't provide at least the standard trio of horses?

Of course, the case might have been different in other cultures and other eras where cavalry shock warfare wasn't such a specialized affair.
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

Quote:
I'd think for poorer knights, a riding horse and warhorse would be one in the same.

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. After all, the distinction between the riding horse and the charger is based on the idea that the charger is supposed to be faster and to be able to carry more weight at the cost of endurance while the riding horse ought to have great stamina and a smooth gait that allows comfortable long-distance travel. And would any warrior have been accepted as a man-at-arms if he couldn't provide at least the standard trio of horses?

Difference between Riding horse and charger are mostly training and temperament. A charger could be ridden, though it would be nice to have another horse to ride. But a riding horse not bred and trained for war would be rather useless. I see poorer nkinghts having 1 horse, the charger, and perhaps even 2 chargers as opposed to a riding horse for their "spare". Hav ing your one charger go lame on campaign turns you from a knight to a dismounted man at arms rather quickly!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I admit I know little of horses. I've had limited contact with them throughout my years, only having ridden a really old saddle horse. I figured the charger would be the only horse of a poorer knight, unless a riding horse is "not" expensive.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Knights involved in the Agincourt campaign were required at least three horses for personal use. Knights were rich, much richer than our middle classes, and if we class horses as equivalents of cars its perfectly reasonable to think that knights would have stables full of them. After all archers quite often had their own horses too.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good topic. I don't think we do nearly enough discussion about mounted charges. This is odd because Mounted charges with lance were the primary method of fighting for knights. Fighting from horseback with swords, maces and axes were a backup. Fighting on foot was not preferred.

Today we tend to focus more on the foot combat because we can best relate to it, but this is a very two dimensional view of medieval combat. Mounted horse charges added a third dimension. Missile weapons added yet a fourth dimension.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
The Knights involved in the Agincourt campaign were required at least three horses for personal use. Knights were rich, much richer than our middle classes, and if we class horses as equivalents of cars its perfectly reasonable to think that knights would have stables full of them. After all archers quite often had their own horses too.

On the other hand, by the fourteenth century knights were scarce and humbler men-at-arms made up the balance of a cavalry force. I'm not sure how many of them had a full set of horses (any 14th century experts want to chime in?) The logistical requirements for three horses per man, each eating as much grain as three men and a big load of fodder, add up quickly.

Back to the OP, most ancient cavalry (such as Roman equites) were allowed to bring one servant each on campaign. They presumably did all the menial work which a medieval knight's squires and servants would do for him.
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-The Roman army grouped it's legonaries by 8 man mess groups. These units were provided with a tent and at least enough mules to carry the tent and the bulk of the unit ratons. (The Legionary had to carry a 3-day emergency ration on his person at all times on campaign). The 8 man units often clubbed together and bought a slave too. Given the Roman Army's conservatism and penchant for standardization, I would bet the Ala ( horse and foot auxillaries) were organized the same way, espically after Augustus abolished Legionary calvary. The basic Auxillary horse and foot formations were then commanded by centurians gaining experience to become primi pilani and hopfully equestrian prefects. All Primi Pilani ( first centurian first cohort of a Legion )became equestrian nobles on retirement, and the majority went into military commands, Prefect of legonary castra,(headquarters fort) Tribune of auxillaries,etc, where they would have to handle auxillaries. as well as legionaries I would imagine a hardnosed centurian would arrainge his unit of Ala the way he was used to seeing his men, 8 per tent, pack animal(s), and slaves or servants to assist the men. An extra servant to help with care of horses and armour would hardly be out of line in his experience.I wouldn't think.
Ja68ms
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs I forgot to add that Thucididies in his PEloponesian War discusses the military conracts o number of states made with each other. If calvary was involved there were always specific payments discussed,one for the calvary man, one for his batman and often one for his horse. This is because Mainland greece was never self sudffcient in grain, They bought most fron the Russian Crimea, where the Scythuans had unslaved the inhabitanrs and forced them to traade grain,hides,wax,slaves and gold for pottery,metalwork.fabtics, wine and olive oil(The scyrhians got almost all their metalwork, uaually made with greek themes from the greeksThe greeks seem to have distributed the food in a market sysrem That is the men were expectrd to buy their food from thr market their ally providedwith the funds they had been provider woth at the beginning campaign
Ja68ms
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Manning wrote:
On the other hand, by the fourteenth century knights were scarce and humbler men-at-arms made up the balance of a cavalry force

But that hardly makes a difference; knighthood had become mostly a social title at that time, and the man-at-arms was the highest class of soldiery in the army. So the man-at-arms was hardly "humble" and the equipment standards needed to be included in this category was really that exacting.

It's also worth noting that the highest class of equipment, pay, and privilege for the rank-and-file in the French and Burgundian Ordonnance armies was the homme d'armes--the man-at-arms, not the chevalier (knight) or anything of that sort.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
I admit I know little of horses. I've had limited contact with them throughout my years, only having ridden a really old saddle horse. I figured the charger would be the only horse of a poorer knight, unless a riding horse is "not" expensive.

But was there such a thing as your image of the "poorer knight" at all? As Zac has mentioned, you have to be reasonably rich in the first place to be a mounted man-at-arms, and if you weren't rich then you'd get yourself neck-deep in debt in order to procure the necessary equipment. If you couldn't get enough gear and enough horses, you simply could not be a mounted man-at-arms, period.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point, and well taken.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions on heavy cavalry.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: