Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Schools in Wisconsin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Schools in Wisconsin         Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I tried doing a search, but I couldn't find a post, even though I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before (Probably just not searching with the right keywords.)

I'm interested in studying swordsmanship, but I can't seem to find a school near me. Does anyone know of a school or group near Eau Claire Wisconsin?

I would need it to be within a 20-30 minute drive of Eau Claire if possible. I found one in Madison, but I'm hoping that maybe someone here might know of something closer.

If there's not a group or school, then what would be some ideal books and/or videos to get? I'm looking for I.33, German or Italian Longsword, etc. Pretty much anything I can find. Something relevant to 14th Century would be ideal.

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, you might want to give the folks at A&A a call/email; they might be able to point you in the direction of the folks working the Minneapolis area.

Good luck!
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look up Bob Charron of St. Martin's Academy. It looks like his website is down right now, but he's absolutely fantastic. A number of my friends have worked with him, and I've seen many of his demonstrations; really really top notch stuff. He focuses on Fiore (14th-15th century), which covers wrestling, knife work, the longsword, and much more. I'm pretty sure he's based out of Southern Wisconsin.
Joe Loder

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drat, I don't know of any in that area. I was going to suggest our group out of Mukwonago until I remembered where Eau Clair actually is.
He who laughs last, thinks fastest.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Rosen wrote:
Look up Bob Charron of St. Martin's Academy. It looks like his website is down right now, but he's absolutely fantastic. A number of my friends have worked with him, and I've seen many of his demonstrations; really really top notch stuff. He focuses on Fiore (14th-15th century), which covers wrestling, knife work, the longsword, and much more. I'm pretty sure he's based out of Southern Wisconsin.

He's in Stoughton, and runs the Academy out of a renovated barn - nice facility - on his property. It's a bit of a haul from Eau Claire, but he does run seminars once in a while that would be very worthwhile to look at. I used to have his 411 here somewhere and if I find it I'll post it... but yes, he's still very active.

I know Eau Claire is a far piece from Appleton, but there is a very active ARMA group there - Aaron Pynenberg spearheads it - great guy. There is a good ARMA presence in the western part of the state, so even though they are too far to travel, finding a training partner may be easy with their help.

WMAW is in mid-September in Racine - plan now, and DO go, no excuses. Tuition and lodging would go around $400 - $500ish for the 4-day seminar, I'd think, and worth every cent and then some.

If nobody is close by, and if you have another person (or, better yet, a few) interested in the same thing, start with a good seminar with someone, and then work within yourselves to expand. There are good books around, but I'd use them to supplement - get some of the basic understanding down from an experienced practitioner first if possible, and keep occasional contact (if regular, consistent contact isn't possible).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Schools in Wisconsin
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic