Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Recommendations for a First Purchase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Percival Koehl

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for a First Purchase         Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. I’m a newcomer.

I’m a burgeoning spathophile and I’m wondering if anyone has got any good recommendations for a first purchase. I’d say, from what I’ve seen thus far, Oakeshott Types XVIIIa-c and XXa appeal to me the most. I’ve taken a general look at most of the content displayed on this site as well as the article on assessment of replicas, and a few have caught my eye, in particular the Albion Viceroy, Regent, Count and Steward (I've read the reviews on these, too). However, if anyone has any particular recommendations or other advice, I’m at all ears.

At the moment, I’m somewhat short for funds (not surprising, considering the economy these days), so I’m not planning on purchasing anything soon; rather, my plan is just to get a sense of what’s out there now.

'A knight indifferent to a lady's honour has lost his own.'
-Chrétien de Troyes (fl. 1180), Percival or the Tale of the Grail
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whatever you purchase, the used market is phenominal right now. I have seen a good number of quality swords sold at more than reasonable prices by members here. Be sure to keep your eyes on the Marketplace, chances are that something to your liking will pop up that will fit your funding situation. Big Grin
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, you have named 4 excellent swords, although very different ones. I own a Regent and it is a fabulous sword for later-period longsword fighting styles. It is also an interesting and beautiful sword to look at and has a feel in the hand that is hard to capture in words. The first time I picked it up I was struck by the very solid and powerful feel of it. More than any other sword I own, when I pick up the Regent I am aware that I am holding a weapon designed with lethal intent.
I have not handled any of the others you mentioned so I can't make any useful comparisons. You have a very tough decision ahead of you!
Percival Koehl

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right. Thanks for the advice; the used market does sound like a good place to begin.
'A knight indifferent to a lady's honour has lost his own.'
-Chrétien de Troyes (fl. 1180), Percival or the Tale of the Grail

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Recommendations for a First Purchase
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic