Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion grip options: A question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Albion grip options: A question         Reply with quote

It was my original intention to ask this question in a private e-mail to Albion's customer service, but it occured to me that it might be of some interest to the rest of the forum as well, so I thought a public posting was not uncalled for. I apologize in advance if this is not the case.
Some time ago, early last year to be precise, Mr. Waddell had made mention in this thread that Albion might consider offering wire wrap grips on the NG swords at some point in the future for an additional charge. An e-mail to customer service confirms that this is not yet an option. The question I'd like to ask the kind folks from Albion is whether this option is still being considered for some point in the future or whether it has been discarded altogether? If so, why? Is there simply not enough demand, is it considered historically questionable or is it just too difficult/time consuming to implement in a production environment? For the rest of you, I'd be curious to know if there's anyone besides myself who would have an interest in such a thing.
I am aware that that Christian Fletcher currently does work on Albion swords, and offers a wire-wrap option at a very reasonable price, I'm just curious as to Albion's own plans on the matter.
Thanks!
-C.L.Miller
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the medieval and early rennaissance swords a wire wrap is not yet an option.
On Medieval swords in generalit is a very very unusual thing (and also something that has little in the way of surviving examples). In some cases a wire wrap might have been added on swords in later periods as part of restoration works.

Since the grips are mounted after guard and cross in the NG line, it is impossible to mount proper turks head knots.
This makes a wire wrap less than ideal for the present set up.
The turks head knots are made as complete circles braided to fit the grip perfectly. These are mounted on the grip before it is secured on the tang.

On those models that require a wire wrap, like later C&T swords there will be turks head knots or ferrules. Also the whole grip will be mounted as a completed unit before the riveting of the tang.
This is impossible on the present NG sword without a complete reestablishment of the assembly methos.
Therefore it is not offered as an option at present.

Hope this helps
Thanks
Peter
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That makes perfect sense. I was aware that wire-wrap was rare on earlier (viking/medieval) swords, but I didn't think that it was shockingly so... ah well. I suppose I'll have to pursue other options.
It's great to hear about the assembly method for future C&T swords however, I can't wait to see how they'll turn out!
Thanks Peter!

-C.L.Miller
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: A further thought...         Reply with quote

What is the thinking behind the assumption that most wire-wrap grips, such as that on the Vienna "Sword of St. Maurice" are the result of restoration efforts, rather than being native to the sword? I am not disputing that this is the case, I am merely wondering what the evidence is. Is the wire of an identifiably later manufacture? Is there a stylistic element which is inconsistent with an early date?
I am aware of several viking-era finds with wire-wrapped grips, and a few more with ferrules possibly suggesting a wire-wrap now lost, but none to speak of from the early medieval period, though I had assumed their existence until now. Is there some reason that the practice may have died out? A changing emphasis from form to function perhaps? Or is this one of those areas where there simply isn't enough surviving evidence to form much of an opinion?

-C.L.Miller
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear if Mr. Johnsson believes the wire grip on the Sword of St. Maurice to be a later additon as well. It certainly seems plausible we know that the sword was dressed up a bit from its original creation.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about XIX.7 from Records? Oakeshott makes no mention of the grip so I assumed the wire was original.Was this one of the very very rare examples or was this too a restoration? I had intended to get a Condottierre or Doge when they're available and have Christian Fletcher wire wrap it for me, now I'm not so sure.....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion grip options: A question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic