Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info on 9 ring Chinese Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
R.M. Henson

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Info on 9 ring Chinese Sword         Reply with quote

Anybody have any info on the 9 Ring chinese broad sword? Not really sure of the true name of the particular sword. I would like to know the purpose of the rings attached to the back of the blade of the sword. Apparently there is also a spear version known if I recall correctly the "guan dao" or "kwan dao", a 9 ring spear.

There isn't much information on the web or even from website of kung fu schools as far as usage other than simple aesthetics. As far as I can gather the rings were used to help trap an opponents sword when blocking, or at the very least help prevent the attacking sword from sliding along the back during a parry or block.

any ideas?

Compagni of Schola St. George
http://www.scholasaintgeorge.org/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This isn't my area of expertise, but I'm fairly certain that these were never used on swords before more modern times. They are used to make noise and to attach fabric onto them for performance arts, not for combat. I've never seen an antique Chinese sword that had them.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
R.M. Henson

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, that's interesting to hear. I would not have guessed as information regarding these kinds of weapons is literally non-existant.

Makes some sense as well since the benefit of the rings is not immediately apparent. Any kung fu practitioners out there with some insight?

Compagni of Schola St. George
http://www.scholasaintgeorge.org/
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R.M. Henson wrote:
I would not have guessed as information regarding these kinds of weapons is literally non-existant.

Although English-language sources on the subject are sparse, I would not go so far as to say non-existant:

Thomas Chen's site
Alex Huangfu's site (author of Iron and Steel Swords of China, currently in Chinese but many are hopeful for an English translation)
Weapons in Ancient China
And not that I'd ever want to steer you away from myArmoury, but in the interest of information:
http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146 (including this post by Thomas Chen, whose site is linked above)
http://www.chineseswordsocietyuk.com/forums/index.php

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info on 9 ring Chinese Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic