Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoromachus Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Len Parker wrote:
Here's good evidence for standalone quilted armour: https://books.google.com/books?id=uqe2CYsDEEcC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=julius+caesar+made+tunics+of+felt+quilts+and+hides&source=bl&ots=sp4Zmcc87C&sig=ACfU3U325jv1cQuOcaZ-1lyExcMyX-7LGQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV8a-6ifPiAhVyT98KHQgEDEoQ6AEwCnoECAkQAQ

Notice he says almost ALL the soldiers had made tunics or coverings out of felt, quilts or hides.

Thanks to Graham Sumner for pointing this out on RAT.

Yeah, if anything, this argues *against* the things shown in later formal portraits as being quilted armor. If it had been common, they would not have had to improvise it. And you certainly aren't going to have your improvised arrow-protection immortalized in stone!

Matthew
Len Parker

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have the original, but all the translations online either use tunics, coats or jerkins. Obviously he's describing makeshift protection, but isn't makeshift armour still armour? And why would Pliny tell us of the effectiveness of felt against swords if it wasn't used for that purpose?
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Len Parker wrote:
I don't have the original, but all the translations online either use tunics, coats or jerkins. Obviously he's describing makeshift protection, but isn't makeshift armour still armour?

Sure, but it doesn't tell us what is being shown in 2nd-century carvings. It even implies that quilted armor was *not* a common thing for the Romans.

Quote:
And why would Pliny tell us of the effectiveness of felt against swords if it wasn't used for that purpose?

Well, ancient writers were wrong about a lot of stuff they wrote about! I don't think Pliny was actually *wrong* about this, mind you, but I'm not sure he is good evidence for the widespread use of felt armor by Roman soldiers.

Matthew
Len Parker

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the latin "atque omnes fere milites aut ex coactis aut ex centonibus aut ex coriis tunicas aut tegimenta fecerant, quibus tela vitarent." I couldn't figure this out. Something about mattresses. WTF?!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
And why would Pliny tell us of the effectiveness of felt against swords if it wasn't used for that purpose?

You don't need armour to protect you from a sword cut; a winter tunic will stop a sword cut. Proper armour was designed to stop spears and arrows, which were the most common threat on every battlefield for thousands of years.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Len Parker

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had another go at translating Caesar. It does sound like they made some sort of protective tunic. The key word here is centonibus, which translates to mattress or tarpaulin. So maybe they just made a poncho out of some thick material. This reminds me of that saga where Thorstein makes some protection out of an ox-hide, and is nick-named leatherneck.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well a pancho-like garment is what came into my mind when I read that passage. At least that's what I'd do if I were trying to come up with a makeshift protection against missile weapons. No need for sewing or tailoring, just cut a hole in some reasonably thick material and pop it over your head, done.
Éirinn go Brách

Last edited by Stephen Curtin on Sat 22 Jun, 2019 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Len Parker wrote:
Here's good evidence for standalone quilted armour
Yeah, that bit from Caesar's Civil Wars about the soldiers making "tunics or coverings" from felts, patchworks, or leathers comes up again and again, I have it on Armour in Texts! The three important things to note are that its specifically in the context of a war of entrenchments, that they are overgarments to stop projectiles (not underarmour padding), and that there are very few other sources for improvised armour anywhere before the 20th century. Most quilted armour was made by teams of professionals with special tools and materials in cities, not by 'soldiers' mothers and sisters.'

I don't see anything about quilting in that passage, other than that centones are some kind of patchwork made from worn-out textiles.

Edit: Linked to the exact passage rather than the whole 'classical' section

www.bookandsword.com
Len Parker

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Possible shoulder padding from vindonissa: https://silo.tips/download/ein-experimentell-archologisches-projekt-zur-ausrstung-und-mobilitt-des-exercitu
Len Parker

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another reconstruction: http://www.populares-vindelicenses.de/pages/a...zerung.php

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoromachus
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: