Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Newbie questions - attn Basket Hilt experts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions - attn Basket Hilt experts         Reply with quote

Angus McLarty wrote:
Good morning everyone! I've been watching the fourm for a month or so now, and figured it was time to post a few questions.

I've had a keen interest in all things Scottish for as long as I can remember. I have almost entirely Scottish ancestory, and born and raised in an area where almost everyone else is of Scottish descent. I have been taking a deeper interest in my own geneology, as well as Scottish history in general lately. I began taking Gaelic lessons two years ago, bought a kilt this winter, and recently acquired a targe from an uncle after he moved into a home. With the kilt, targe, and increasing ability to holler Gaelic battle cries, I think it's about time I had a blade to feel complete!!

I'm looking for a Basket Hilt to (hopefully) start a collection. As with most newbies, I'm on a budget. I'm in the neighbourhood of $300-350 (cdn - $230-270 USD). I have been looking mostly at Paul Chen's and Cold Steel's on Ebay.

What advice/cautions can anyone offer? I know the old adage holds true - you get what you pay for, but I've got to start out within a limited budget.

Thanks,

Angus

Hello , Angus.

My apologies for not seeing your post regarding Hanwei/ColdSteel baskets before, but I just came across it in a search.

If you haven't purchased yet, the following pages (all linked from the first) may be of some help regarding dimensions, etc:

http://home.att.net/~sabrechamp/stats.htm

Please excuse the pics, as most were simply what I had on hand; with the only exceptions being a few disassembled shots.

I did this for a friend, and didn't bother to include my personal comments as they were exchanged in email. Anyway, I prefer the Hanwei 2002 broadsword, but it does have some issues. Most notably, the grip is both too small (with or without gauntlets/gloves) and too close to being spherical in cross-section. In this respect, the ColdSteel is much better. Between the sheaths there is little comparison with the ColdSteel winning the argument hands down.

As for actual handling, I would choose the Hanwei. Handling is subjective to some degree, but without a full blown review, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions regarding these two production pieces.

Pax,

Michael

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."

Last edited by Michael G. Myers on Thu 27 May, 2004 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

'Just like seeing this one again.

M.

Last edited by Michael G. Myers on Fri 28 May, 2004 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Zach Stambaugh

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: a modest suggestion         Reply with quote

rather than buying the low end stuff, i would reccommend you just win the contest and get that Atrim sword.

'course that woould mean i wouldn't get it.

It is better to be over careful a hundred times than dead once. --- Mark Twain (give or take a slight misquote)
Angus McLarty

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Michael. That's a great comparison. I still haven't made a final decision/purchase yet - wedding coming up - she says no excess spending unless it's wedding related Worried ! Probably by the fall though.

Unless I win the Atrim like Zach suggests - I'll see what I can do Big Grin !

Angus
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, Angus!

Yeah, the Erickson/Trim baskethilt would be a great wedding present. Wink

Mike

Zach Stambaugh

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: wait         Reply with quote

You NEED to get married under crossed swords. you will probably have to buy at leas a duzen.

what does she mean 'excess spending'?!

It is better to be over careful a hundred times than dead once. --- Mark Twain (give or take a slight misquote)
Angus McLarty

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Excess spending" - right now that means anything not related to the wedding ceremony/reception, or basic survival is considered excess Big Grin ! It's not quite that bad, but you get the idea! Just have to bide my time!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Newbie questions - attn Basket Hilt experts
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: