Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Zorro Rides Again... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Zorro Rides Again...         Reply with quote

...to Wisconsin!

Albion Swords Ltd., LLC, signed a six-year licensing deal this week with Zorro Productions, Inc. to become the official swordmaker for the legendary franchise.

Zorro, a fictional character created in 1919 by pulp writer Johnston McCulley, is the secret identity of Don Diego de la Vega, a nobleman and master swordsman living in the Spanish colonial era of California. Zorro is credited with being the inspirational model for later comic book superheroes such as Batman. The black-clad masked outlaw, who defends the people of the land against tyrannical officials and other villains, has been featured in numerous books, films, television series and other media.

Zorro Productions Inc. (ZPI), incorporated in 1986, controls the worldwide trademarks and copyrights in the name, visual likeness and the character of Zorro. The brand is represented worldwide by over thirty-five licensing agents for all media and ancillary products. The license was negotiated by ZPI's exclusive U.S./Canadian licensing and merchandising agent, Licensing Works, LLC.

John Gertz, president of ZPI, has been guiding the brand for over thirty years through major films, television, stage productions, publishing projects and promotions in addition to hundreds of licensed products.

"We're delighted with our new association with Albion Swords. The exceptional quality of their craftsmanship and design reflect the kind of precision and excellence that have come to represent the Zorro brand," noted John Gertz, President of Zorro Productions.

"We are very excited to play a small part in the Zorro legend," says Amy Waddell, President and CEO of Albion Swords Ltd. "We've always been big fans of Zorro here at Albion, so this is much more than just a business deal for us - it will be fun to be involved with this legendary character."

Under the license, Albion will be creating a new sword celebrating the 90th Anniversary of Zorro; another new sword design by Jody Samson (creator of the Conan swords); as well as recreating other swords connected with the legendary character.

The Zorro swords will be offered through Albion's http://filmswords.com website.

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howie, will this sword(s) be patterned after some of the movie zorro swords or after one of the 18th century New World Spanish antiques like the Espada Ancha shown below?

Attachment: 4.34 KB
ancha3.jpg

Attachment: 10.91 KB
ancha2.jpg

Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Howie, will this sword(s) be patterned after some of the movie zorro swords or after one of the 18th century New World Spanish antiques like the Espada Ancha shown below?

Hey Roger!

I guess the best answer is "a mix" - we have not finalized the design work or even a complete list of what we will produce, but we are going to be doing several swords associated with the Zorro time period and Zorro films as well. The Espada Ancha is one of the types we have been looking at - especially the specific examples from the Spanish Colonies of California.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Marc Pengryffyn

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too cool! I loved Zorro as a kid, and still retain a fondness for the character and the stories. When I was a sports fencer, I even spent a lot of time with the saber trying to perfect the Z-cut- It's hard!

I can't wait to see the designs Albion comes up with, not that I'm ever likely to be able to afford one.... Sad

Tradition is the illusion of permanence.
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Howard!!! That is awesome news. I can't wait to see what comes out of it.
"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Jonathan Atkin

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very happy to see albion expanding their herizons and perhaps bring more people into this hobby with what we can all assume will be superb pieces of art!
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe you should include a Bilbo in the mix. I can't think of a single production model of this type. Attached is an early 18th century Portuguese bilbo from Hessink.nl

Attachment: 115.72 KB
[ Download ]
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Howard & Crew!

Six year contract, yep that's good for all of us!
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great...........

Albion found ANOTHER way to take my money!!!

You know Howard, Im buddies with the whipmaker who made the hero whips for the Banderas zorro movies....
and Ive always wanted a functional zorro sword..........

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt Jody have something to do with the creation of the Banderas zorro sword too?

I cant wait to see what you guys come up with on this front!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Zorro Rides Again...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic