Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reading List/Bibliography Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reading List/Bibliography         Reply with quote

A question from a newbie here

Read trhough the reading list and bibliography, realized I have read 2 on the list and 10+ from the Bibliography.

I realized there were 3 of Heath's books, from the Osprey series in the Bibliography.

What I find interesting is that while these all get fairly good reviews, none of his "Arms and Armour of the ____ (Dark Ages, Middle ages part I and II, Crusades, etc. etc.) are referenced.

While the Menat Arms Osprey Series are interesting, I find the Arms and Armour series to be much more detailed and to me give a lot more information.

The only negative I see is they are not illustrated as well as the Osprey series. They are mostly black and white drawings, not the nice color templates the Osprey series uses.

Perhaps another issue is that about the first 1/5 of the book goes into detailed information regarding army composition/recruiting/structure/organization, even some information of logisitics. The second fifth or so is a listing and recounts of the major battles of the period, or at least battles whcih there is info on.

The last 3/5 are illustrations of different troops types and a brief duscussion of their equipment.

Just curious why these books are no part of the bibliography.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gary!

Thank you for the note. Our bibliography is certainly not without many things missing. I have faith it's one of the best book references on the subject of arms and armour found on the Internet (both in terms of content and functionality), but it's certainly got a heck of a lot of holes in it and has shown itself neglected due to my own time constraints as of late.

If you have specific suggestions for titles to add to The Bibliography, I'm more than happy to hear them. You'll have to reference them specifically (preferably with an ISBN number) so I don't have to search for them myself.

-----

I believe you're referencing author Ian Heath. If that's the case, I'm unable to find any titles with "Arms and Armor of the...." in the title anywhere. Maybe you're referring to the titles he's written entitled "Armies of the..." which are already in our bibliography?

These are the Ian Heath titles already contained in The Bibliography:

1. Vikings (Elite Series), The, by Ian Heath
Paperback, 64 pages, Osprey Publishing (UK), Published: 1985-08-01, ISBN: 0850455650

2. Byzantine Armies 886-1118 (Men-at-Arms, No 89), by Ian Heath
Paperback, 48 pages, Osprey Publishing (UK), Published: 1979-02-01, ISBN: 0850453062

3. Armies of the Middle Ages, Volumes 1 and 2, by Ian Heath
Paperback, Wargames Research Group, Published: 1982

4. Armies and Enemies of the Crusades, 1096-1291, by Ian Heath
Paperback, 120 pages, Wargames Research Gp., Published: 1978-02, ISBN: 0904417085

5. Armies of the Dark Ages, 600-1066: Organisation, tactics, dress and weapons, by Ian Heath
Paperback, 131 pages, Wargames Research Group, Published: 1976

6. Armies of the Middle Ages - Volume 2 The Ottoman Empire, Eastern Europe and the Near East, 1300-1500, by Ian Heath
Paperback, Wargames Research, Published: 1984

7. Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 1: The Hundred years' War, the War of the Roses and the Burgundian Wars, 1300-1487, by Ian Heath
Hardcover, Wargames research Group, Published: 1982

8. Byzantine Armies Ad 1118-1461 (Osprey Men-at-Arms Series, No 287), by Ian Heath
Paperback, 48 pages, Osprey Publishing (UK), Published: 1995-11-01, ISBN: 1855323478

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually I find now they are in the Bibliography, I was looking under the wrong title Blush

It's funny though, I searched under Heath and only pulled up the Osprey ones Confused

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reading List/Bibliography
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic