Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your dream sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A custom designed zveihander, based off of an iconographic representation of the sword of St. Michael (the archangel).
Silver (or platinum) and ivory hilt. There's only a handfull of bladesmiths in the world who could pull it off. I might have to have the blade made to spec, have the hilt pieces made by a silversmith and get it assembled by a bladesmith.
If it was ever done, it would be a museum piece the day it was made.
Estimated cost? I figure somewhere around $15,000. Worried

Oh well, what's the point of dreaming if you don't dream big?
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HI there Taylor         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Taylor Ellis wrote:
The XIIa Kevin Cashen is doing for me later this year. 35" inch cut & thrust blade, straight crossbar and wheel pommel, dark green sharkskin wrap with silver accent rings, latin prayer engraved down the fuller. Hopefully an Albion 13th century scabbard almost identical the that of their "Tritonia".

Nice to see you again Taylor. Did you ever sale that Type XIIa Kevin made for you a few years ago? Man that was a nice sword. I can't wait to see the new one. Please post some pics and, by all means, don't be a stranger.

Joel

Hi Joel,
Yeah I sold it to Alan K over on SFI. I really liked it too, but in the end my tastes changed to more historically correct pieces. The new one is going to be awesome though mate. I'll see if I can get the drawing up. Happy
S. Bjelke

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Late Viking style........like the Shifford. Just love thouse lines Big Grin But I can go for anything european ca800-1600, its the craftmanship that makes the "touch"
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a really hard choice....got a list a mile long..so here's the top 5

Phoenix Metal --
Barvarian Bastard
Schiavona

Vladimir Cervenka
Hand & a half #200012
Schiavona

Lutel
#14018 German Rapier

Honorable mention

Albion-Movie Sword - Hessian Sword
Templ - Schiavona
Del-Tin - Schiavona

I'll stop there.

William
aka Bill
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Thieme wrote:
A big (54" OA), fully two-handed type XIIa with a tapering fuller and slight hollow grind, a pommel somewhere between the one on the A&A 15th century Two-Hander and the one on Anduril, a slightly down-turned cross with spatulate ends, and a nice, big grip. The fittings (cross, pommel, ferrules, and mid-ring in the grip) would be pattern-welded cable-damascus. The blade would be L6, as close to the 'indestructable' heat treatment as possible. Overall weight would be between 3.5 and 4.5 pounds, with beefy edges that could take some armor contact. You know, a true Grete Swerde for a guy my size.
That sounds very close to my dream sword. The XIIa is nice but I would also like a diamond shaped blade. I'd like more of a fig shaped pommel and the weight at or below 4 pounds.
Alex Reitor

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: OK, my dream sword         Reply with quote

More than anything, I'd like to have a nicely tempered MiddleEastern sabre reproduction. Something based on the shamshir/kilij of the 17th/18th century models. About 33" blade, 2" curve, back edged for about 15", mamluke style handle and guard assy, thick bladed but well fullered, wootz (damascus) steel blade, tempered and hardened by a master. If you are unfamiliar with the blade type, picture a US Marine saber with a slightly wider and more curved blade. But to tell you the truth, I'd rather have the practical knowlege on how to use it than the actual blade. There is value for me in learning to use one well than in having the actual thing. Knowlege is irreplaceable, but a blade can be had if one desired it enough to make the sacrifices it takes to actually obtain one. I have for example sacrificed owning a fair baseline reproduction of any saber in exchange for owning several fencing weight curved schlagers that I "fight" with.

Jalid

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your dream sword.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: