Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your dream sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Johannes S.

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Your dream sword.         Reply with quote

Well What is your dream sword? it can be one of your own imagination or it can be an existent one.
Edited: Mine would be the Arms and Armour Two Ring rapier with the German rapiers leaf engravings

Last edited by Johannes S. on Wed 21 Apr, 2004 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right now, I consider the epitome to be Xa.1 (A.459 in the Wallace Collection).
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: That's tough....         Reply with quote

I would consider any good condition medieval period sword a dream sword. So I quess I would have to say an antique bastard sword of german influence from the 1400's.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The one from Sutton Hoo Big Grin
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no idea what my dream sword would be.

Several recent arrivals came very close to "dream" and have blurred that particular marker. I'm in the redefine zone.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My dream sword would have to be this English rapier from Ewart Oakeshott's collection. I'd love to have a reproduction done by Arms & Armor, of course, it would be even better to own the original. Cool I have to say that it is a dream because I know that I will probably never get around to saving the money or for whatever reason. But it sure would be nice if Craig would make it for free. Big Grin

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/5821.html
Jon C. Webb

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The more I handle it, the Redeemer. It just fits me.
"So I opened my door to my enemies
and I said 'Can we wipe the slate clean?'
They told me to please go @*$% myself:
You know, you just can't win."
Pink Floyd
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine would be a Enomoto Sadayoshi katana, full custom koshirae...or one from his sons, Sadahito and Tatsuyoshi.

IMO they are the Masamune's of the 20th and 21st century Cool

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy Fritz

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not big into fantasy swords, but that "BorderWatch" that Christian Fletcher and Angus Trim are working on, is really appealing to me. The aspect of owning a sword that few others have, or even a one of a kind would be a dream sword. I'll just forgo my next vehicle purchase and get a custom sword instead. I'm sure the wife will understand.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No contest: the Svante Nilsson Sture sword.

http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/johnsson/svante.htm
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Excalibur         Reply with quote

My sword interests are far too broad to have one dream sword. However, the sword I have been dreaming of recently is a design for a believable Excalibur--something along the lines of a long Roman Koln type spatha with Ivory pommel and guard and a bone grip. (I read somewhere about a legendary sword of the time called "white hilt." ) Maybe some celtic designs carved into the bone grip and amber inlays in the ivory. And maybe a simple pattern welded blade. Something that would standout from any other spatha yet still be recognizable as Celto-Roman. Not the rediculous fantasy sword in the upcoming Romanized Arthur movie.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me, for a good while, it has been either something along the lines of a Turin St Maurice or something Albion 'Jarl' like, but with pattern welded fuller and inlaid hilt decoration as with some of the examples that Patrick Barta has up on his site. Don't really dream about swords much though.
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without any doubt at all, I already have my dream sword ... Albion's recreated Discerner.

There are, of course, those impossible dreams that you know deep within will never happen (but are sometimes interesting to consider) ... for me, the impossible dream would be that of having the original sword (if it were ever to be exhumed) on the same display with Albion's two marvelous recreations of it ... the Limited Edition and Special Edition.

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A big (54" OA), fully two-handed type XIIa with a tapering fuller and slight hollow grind, a pommel somewhere between the one on the A&A 15th century Two-Hander and the one on Anduril, a slightly down-turned cross with spatulate ends, and a nice, big grip. The fittings (cross, pommel, ferrules, and mid-ring in the grip) would be pattern-welded cable-damascus. The blade would be L6, as close to the 'indestructable' heat treatment as possible. Overall weight would be between 3.5 and 4.5 pounds, with beefy edges that could take some armor contact. You know, a true Grete Swerde for a guy my size.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Your dream sword.         Reply with quote

Johannes S. wrote:
Well What is your dream sword? it can be one of your own imagination or it can be an existent one.
Edited: Mine would be the Arms and Armour Two Ring rapier with the German rapiers leaf engravings

Hmm...

Something that would work great with the German school of fence. Albion's Regent would serve as sort of a template, but maybe a tad larger (39" or so blade), and 10"-11" hilt, perhaps with a different style of fishtail pommel (something a bit closer to the Lord of Milan sword, I think). The cross would be a longer version of A&A's Lord of Milan sword, complete with the black inlay thingies in the quillons.

But, I gotta say- Albion scored big points with that blade. The profile is absolutely exquisite and well-proportioned. The hollow grind was a nice touch, too...

However, I might make another departure and go with something a little more gothic...

... this is a *really* tough question to answer...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The XIIa Kevin Cashen is doing for me later this year. 35" inch cut & thrust blade, straight crossbar and wheel pommel, dark green sharkskin wrap with silver accent rings, latin prayer engraved down the fuller. Hopefully an Albion 13th century scabbard almost identical the that of their "Tritonia".
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: HI there Taylor         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
The XIIa Kevin Cashen is doing for me later this year. 35" inch cut & thrust blade, straight crossbar and wheel pommel, dark green sharkskin wrap with silver accent rings, latin prayer engraved down the fuller. Hopefully an Albion 13th century scabbard almost identical the that of their "Tritonia".

Nice to see you again Taylor. Did you ever sale that Type XIIa Kevin made for you a few years ago? Man that was a nice sword. I can't wait to see the new one. Please post some pics and, by all means, don't be a stranger.

Joel
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have to go with something from John at Odinblades. I think a nice two-hander with a double fuller and some slick hiltwork (more subtle fantasy styling) would be the ticket for me.

That just happens to be what I want to commission from John, too! Wink

But for now, the Albion Crecy II is a real favorite of mine.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd go for the X 950, described in the features section...
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_alexandria.html

It's long, its light, and it has funny letters on it... What more can you wish for?
Yummy!

Elling
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
I'd go for the X 950, described in the features section...
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_alexandria.html

It's long, its light, and it has funny letters on it... What more can you wish for?
Yummy!

Elling

I had a replica of that sword made for me by ArmArt (minus the Arabic on the ricasso). They now call it the S34 on their website, but because of their really bad reputation in meeting delivery dates, I can't recommend that you order one. The good news is that Albion will be coming out with a sword inspired by the original sometime this Autumn.

Attachment: 79.16 KB
amfullrs.jpg
ArmArt Alexeandria XIX

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your dream sword.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: