Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jan, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have a shield to post, but I just wanted to ask how you liked the Fived Lobed Viking Sword J.D. I have that same sword, though mine is a bit more worn looking, since I like to swing it around and had to sand it a bit when I let it rust. What's your opinion on it?

As for me, I personally like mine, though I have no real experience with anything better than Windlass. Good and solid, cuts water bottles well, fairly light and balanced.

Edit: Forgot to ask how you came to have that shield in your collection. Did you work on the movie?
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
I don't have a shield to post, but I just wanted to ask how you liked the Fived Lobed Viking Sword J.D. I have that same sword, though mine is a bit more worn looking, since I like to swing it around and had to sand it a bit when I let it rust. What's your opinion on it?

As for me, I personally like mine, though I have no real experience with anything better than Windlass. Good and solid, cuts water bottles well, fairly light and balanced.

Edit: Forgot to ask how you came to have that shield in your collection. Did you work on the movie?

Valentine sold off a lot of stuff from the movie two or three years ago - I recall there were about a dozen shields and some helmets etc. It is kind of fun to watch the movie and try to figure out which pieces is yours.

Regarding the Windlass, it is a good buy although I will be selling mine soon. Here is my review: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14442
B.J. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Facundus wrote:
Nice work, but what is the significance of the bell?

I believe the heraldic symbolism of a bell was " one who did not fear to announce their arrival either in peace or war" I remember this from some obscure heraldry study I did awhile back, I like that symbol and the idea myself, courage and confidence. V/R John F.

Yeah, that's exactly right.

http://www.americancollegeofheraldry.org/achsymbols.html

There's a link for quick review. Though...many are missing and not all are 100% accurate, it's a good database anyway.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have been working on this new heater which I bought from Pitbull Armory. Covered in canvas, riveted a veg tanned leather rim, added straps and guige and armpad, paint and some decoration. I am going to baste the rim and leather bits in my special cuir boulli sauce and add some final touches of paint. tr

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good Thom. It looks to me like you applied the leather edge while dry, no? In the future, if you soak it really good then begin to apply it from one side, stretching it over the edge as you go along, by the time it dries a day or so later it'll pull itself very tightly onto the rim and lose some of the fluff material that you've got there.

Cheers!

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Looks good Thom. It looks to me like you applied the leather edge while dry, no? In the future, if you soak it really good then begin to apply it from one side, stretching it over the edge as you go along, by the time it dries a day or so later it'll pull itself very tightly onto the rim and lose some of the fluff material that you've got there.

Cheers!

-Gregory

thanks for the tip! it will tighten up when I hit it with the hot wax. tr
Christopher Ron Covington

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions here (and too help bump this great thread). My girlfriend is a very skilled painter. For my birthday I asked her if she would paint my coat of arms (issued by the Bureau of Heraldry in South Africa http://broadswordleague.ning.com/photo/200610...xt=latest) on a shield for me. She said she'd try her hand at it. Since there are so many nice shield here I thought I'd ask what type of shield is best for this? Metal or wood? What types of paints look best? I was thinking of using either this one: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...gle+Shield and just priming over the charges already there or: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ter+Shield

I'm open to other shields and any ideas about what type of paint to use. While I never intend to use it for anything other than decoration I do like the idea of having it on a realistic shield.

Best regards,

Christopher R. Covington
Michael Kiehn

PostPosted: Fri 09 Apr, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

these are the first two shields i have made. i am currently in the process of making my first heater. will be back with more pictures and updates.

Attachment: 122.52 KB
2sheilds1sword.gif

May my deeds bring honor and fame upon my family name.
Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Fri 09 Apr, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New project. Late 14th century shield for my friend. 100% handwork, no stencils, only medieval techniques. We hate "reconstructions from the assembly line" Wink
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful! Your friend is one lucky knight.
Wayne Kroncke

PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just found this thread. here's mine

with a few extra bits, and the motif inspiration in the foreground...

CAVE CANEM ET SEMPER PARATUS
Dic, hospes Spartae nos te hic vidisse iacentes,
Dum sanctis patriae legibus obsequimur

If they don't want me to eat animals - why do they make them out of MEAT?
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love that picture.

The dog is great!

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
M. Livermore

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a shield that I put together last fall. It consists of glued poplar planks with a nominal thickness of 1/2". The grip is also poplar and was carved by me. It is attached with clinched iron nails. The face of the shield is covered with linen and painted with milk paint mixed to resemble orpiment as closely as possible without subjecting myself to the toxicity of that pigment. The face is tapered starting about six inches from the edge to about 2/3 the thickness of the shield at center, and the rim is rawhide attached with iron tacks. I am not fully satisfied with the boss, but it was the best that I could find at the time. Sadly, my carpaltunnel has brought my dishing days to and end. The diameter is approximately 27.5" and it weighs between 5 and 6 pounds.

Attachment: 77.09 KB
shield face.jpg
shield face

Attachment: 72.37 KB
shield back.jpg
shield back
Bryan Robbins

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this is an idea for a my shield please dog on me as much as possible Big Grin[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Daisy Robbins\Desktop\bryan folder\armor\New Bitmap Image.bmp[/img]
Question with boldness,

Speak without fear,

Hold to the truth.- Thomas Jefferson
Vilkas V.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my second shield that I made for a 3 year old son of some friends.

Poplar planks butted together, covered with canvas, and edged with rawhide. The boss was made out of a small stainless steel bowl that I cold forged into shape.

Art work is Odin vs Fenrir at Ragnarok.

The kid is only 3, so it is a bit smaller than a normal sized shield.

A Viking can't be a Viking with out an axe and a helm, so I made an axe out of some spare foam that I had laying around. The helm I found at the art supply store when I was buying brushes for the detailed work on the shield (yes, I know Viking helms didn't have horns).
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my newest shield. It's the first one I've actually made. Ye Old Gaffers tutorials made it a snap from template to shield press to final product. Pretty fun project!

http://yeoldegaffers.com/default.asp

Attachment: 69.93 KB
shield.jpg

Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And my latest one - actually made the last year

Front

and back

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basic 24" circular shield nothing special cept the boss has a couple of screws to secure it. It's my training shield and loner shield but a good one. Shown is my bearded axe and me posing for a photo.

John Winn

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my targe

Attachment: 137.54 KB
100_1254e.jpg

Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Infantry-Shield around 1250         Reply with quote

Hi,

I just recently completed my first infanftry-shield (60x100cm), which I want to share with you. It resembles roughly some examples seen in the Morgan Picture Bible (Maciejowski Bible / Crusader Bible). It's made of Meranti-Plywood, the rawhide is sewn to the wood. Well, I bought the frame but made all of the leatherwork an artwork by myself. The straps are riveted to the corpus by forged nails and selfmade metalpieces. The front is covered in canvas and painted in oxblood red and white acrylic paint. The artwork is also taken from the Morgan Picture Bible.

Greetings,
Thomas

Attachment: 120.29 KB
Infantrieschild_Morgan_Bible_Folio10v.jpg
These are two of the bigger shields depicted in the Morgan Bible. They are only used bei infantrymen and show adornments, rather than coats of arms.

Attachment: 159.68 KB
The leatherstraps are riveted to the wood. [ Download ]

Attachment: 144.25 KB
I chose these lines instead of a coat of arms, because my kit is made to resemble a footsoldier (1250), not a nobleman. [ Download ]

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields
Page 6 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: