Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > lee enfield restoration Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: lee enfield restoration         Reply with quote

Hi all, i have a lee enfield no1 mk3 modified for sport that i would like to restore to military shape. i would like to know where could i find some pieces in good condition in canada or near? i need the forestock, rear and front handguard, nosecap etc...

all help is appreciated.
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There used to be an outfit called Victoria Trading Company that had just about everything you would need to restore your SMLE. I don't know if they are still in business, but if not, you might try try John Spangler. He knows quite a bit about surplus rifles and can be reached through the Utah Gun Collectors Association website (www.ugca.org).

With the SMLE, you have a really sweet piece of ordnance regardless of its current condition. There is an old trick to pulling oil out of surplus stocks, and I'm guessing if you find one it will be plenty oily. If you want, email me and I'll tell you what I did to save the original stock on my Lithgow Mk III.

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne,

I have had good luck with Sarco, Inc. They have a parts listing for "Lee-Enfield No 1 Mk 3" but that's just small parts. They also show front and rear handguards under "Misc -> Military Rifle Handguards ".

This is a bit pricey IMO, but here is a complete set up for auction at:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113536486
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also try Numrich Gun Parts Corporation. They have tons of parts, literally.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: lee enfield restoration         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
Hi all, i have a lee enfield no1 mk3 modified for sport that i would like to restore to military shape. i would like to know where could i find some pieces in good condition in canada or near? i need the forestock, rear and front handguard, nosecap etc...

all help is appreciated.

What year is it? Have any of the metal parts been modified, or just the wood?

I'm doing a few restoration projects of my own, including a Patt. 14 Enfield. Took awhile, but I eventually found an unmodified stock and got a unit marker disc and some restoration volley sights for it. Need to get back to work on that and finish it, preferably before the end of the year.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: lee enfield restoration         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:

all help is appreciated.

Numrich Arms, AKA Gun Parts Corporation, is a good choice. You can check the availability of what you need on their web site. Since your rifle has been "sporterized" it may well need more than just replacement parts. Some times sporterizing included shortening the barrel among other things.

We discussed this in another thread some time ago. Have you had the rifle checked by a gunsmith? You will remember that I suggested you do that before you shoot it. Also, if you could post a photo of the rifle it would go a long way toward enabling us to advise you on what you need to do or if it is even feasible to restore the gun to its original configuration.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For C. Gadda: the stock is original so the brass butt plate, its a 1918 no1 mk3.

the barrel have its original lenght too.
And i did not go to a gunsmith i have to get my gun licence or permit (i dont know what word to say...) and i dont know how much it would cost to have it.

and thanks for the link its really good.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
For C. Gadda: the stock is original so the brass butt plate, its a 1918 no1 mk3.

the barrel have its original lenght too.
And i did not go to a gunsmith i have to get my gun licence or permit (i dont know what word to say...) and i dont know how much it would cost to have it.

and thanks for the link its really good.

Well don't shoot it until you do have it checked.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: lee enfield restoration         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:

all help is appreciated.

Hi Etienne.

Can you tell me the make of your Lee Enfield? near the date there will be a crown, and makers name. If its a SSA rifle then there wont be any name near the kings crown.

Some of the names may be - BSA.co, Enfield, LSA, Lithgow. If its SSA the SSA stamp will be located where you insert the bolt
at the back of the action.

Photos would really help, can you supply some? We can match the maker parts to your rifle.

Im a absolute 303 nut....

Nick

Attachment: 145.14 KB
[ Download ]
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: lee enfield restoration         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman wrote:
Etienne Hamel wrote:

all help is appreciated.

Hi Etienne.

Can you tell me the make of your Lee Enfield? near the date there will be a crown, and makers name. If its a SSA rifle then there wont be any name near the kings crown.

Some of the names may be - BSA.co, Enfield, LSA, Lithgow. If its SSA the SSA stamp will be located where you insert the bolt
at the back of the action.

Photos would really help, can you supply some? We can match the maker parts to your rifle.

Im a absolute 303 nut....

Nick

Attachment: 75.99 KB
[ Download ]
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And just to make you cry....Sorry Wink

My 1916 Lithgow No1 MkIII....Matching serial numbers, original 1916 barrel with good rifling. All parts are early Lithgow A in a star marked.

Cheers

N

Attachment: 97.54 KB
[ Download ]
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely check with Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. (www.e-gunparts.com)

If they don't have it, I doubt anyone will.

I have a No.4 Mk1. Happy

If you can get it, Sellier & Bellot (Czech made) FMJ rounds will shoot to point of aim, or nearly so with the issue iron sights.

Mine was dead on from 80 to 950m (guessing on the last one, it was somewhere from 900-950m), with intermittent stops at 300 and 600 as well. Happy
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-I will make two points given me by a friend who IS a gunsmith. One Never shoot an old weapon untill it has been checked by a gunsmith with expertise in that weapon, and two, remember modern propellents are NOT the same as those of 1918, Find someone,( or look it up on-line in a re-loaders page,) and find the SAMMI rating of the propellent used. You may have to get a special batch and reload your ammo
Ja68ms
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
Sirs-I will make two points given me by a friend who IS a gunsmith. One Never shoot an old weapon untill it has been checked by a gunsmith with expertise in that weapon, and two, remember modern propellents are NOT the same as those of 1918, Find someone,( or look it up on-line in a re-loaders page,) and find the SAMMI rating of the propellent used. You may have to get a special batch and reload your ammo

Very good points James and the first one supports what I told Etienne when he posted comments about this rifle earlier in the year, and recently too. I believe that he has a WWI era rifle that could have an eroded throat and excessive headspace, both of which will create a significant safety problem. Before he goes to the trouble and expense to restore the rifle, if it can even be restored, he needs to have someone competent to advise him evaluate the rifle, i.e. a gunsmith. That will probably involve using a bore scope to check for throat erosion and headspace evaluation; not to mention checking that the firing pin hasn't corroded to the point where closing the bolt will cause an accidental discharge. Without doing this first, I would not undertake to do a restoration, especially since it will add no value to the piece from an antique perspective.

Lin Robinson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > lee enfield restoration
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic