Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need advice/help on new handle and grip for a sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Need advice/help on new handle and grip for a sword         Reply with quote

I would like to make this sword look as close to one from the Late 14th Century - Early 15th Century as possible.

I know the handle and grip need to go for starters. Does anyone have any advice or maybe a link to a site that will help me in deciding how to make a new handle and grip for this sword? Is there anything else I should do to make this sword closer to this period? Is the crossguard okay?

I will try and post some picts of this sword and the handle. The measurements are as follows.

Overall Length 50-1/4"
Blade Length 39-1/8"
Blade Width 1-7/8" tapered to around 1"
Handle Length 9"
Pommel is around 2"
crossguard width 10-1/4"

The Handle is flat and sort of oval. I have no idea what is under the suede leather. I know I should rip into it but I would like some advice first. The small metal rings in between the crossguard and grip and once again between the grip and pommel will have to be taken off I am sure. Should I make two halves of wood then cover with cord or leather. The pommel appears to have been peened onto the blade.

If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction please help me out. I know it will never be an Albion but I would like to make it work to some extent.

Thanks

Nathan Spence

Attachment: 25.07 KB
WarSword 002.JPG

Attachment: 23.39 KB
WarSword 003.JPG

Attachment: 30.72 KB
WarSword 004.JPG

Attachment: 28.28 KB
WarSword 005.JPG

Attachment: 17.76 KB
WarSword 007.JPG

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you might consider doing the project in stages. That is, replace the grip to get used to doing it. From there, you'll learn some skills that you can use to do a more complicated job the second time around.

I wouldn't worry about removing the pommel or replacing the grip material the first time around. Your first step will be to remove the terrible metal ferrules and throw them away. Then remove the suede and take a pattern from it and do your grip as per the many discussions about such things you'll find on this site. One of those topics is right here but there are many others posted on myArmoury.com. Our workbench article discusses some of this as well.. and our Instant Antique article has some discussion about grip wrapping

Getting those ferrules off and that suede replaced will, in itself, do wonders for that sword.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I tried to use the search feature to find some articles, but did not really find any.
Thanks, any further advice would be appreciated.

Spence

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need advice/help on new handle and grip for a sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic