Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Argentine Military Bayonet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T. Michael Self

PostPosted: Tue 11 May, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Argentine Military Bayonet         Reply with quote

I recently purchased an Argentine military bayonet that was purported to be foraged in 1896. As with most surplus Argentine military items on the open market, the Argentine Crest has been obliterated by a grinder. There is no date on the bayonet, however, there is a serial number - K2495. Can anyone suggest how I might verify the foraging date?
T. Michael Self
George Doby

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

go to gunboards.com and get on the edged weapons/bayonet forum or
ebayonets.com- Dennis Otobre site, he sells bayos but has a lot of info on them in his discriptions.
also there are some links at gunboards and also you might try parallax's curio and relic forums. they also have a bayo forum.
both parallax and gunboards are a wealth of firearms info and link to many other sites nd dealers also caryibng bayo and swords.
does yours have brass or alloy grips? the brass were used by the navy and are rarer than alloy.
Janzens Notebook is a very good reference for bayos.

don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things
T. Michael Self

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips . . . I'll definitely check them out. Also, the grips are alloy.
T. Michael Self
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No offense, but why? The value has been almost entirely obliterated by the grinding work. Only in original condition would such a piece be of any value; as it is, it's a sharp pointy thing that fits on the end of an Argentine 7.62x65 rifle. The rifles and ammunition are also available on the surplus market right now, cheap.

Regards,
Brian M
T. Michael Self

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is just the satisfaction of knowing . . . that's all. I gave the bayonet to my son who is really into swords (but due to his age, is without the funds to get serious into collecting) and he was extremely happy to have it. So, in a sense, it is priceless.

The grinding of the Argentine military emblem is now a part of the blade's history and there are other markings on the weapon that are basically unblemished. Overall, it is a neat, interesting piece.

T. Michael Self
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: argentine bayonet         Reply with quote

I have seen several of these bayonets and have one myself. On my bayonet the date is 1891. As for the grinding on the blade, most seem to have this feature and was probably a deliberate action done during its working life. But, take all of this with a grain of salt, my knowledge and my collection is of swords made between the 9th and 17th century. This is one of the few bayonets I own, otherwise nothing in my collection is younger than 350 years.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Argentine Military Bayonet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic