Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eastern Europe Knights XIII century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the battle of Muhi it came from the placement of the Hungarian camp, the River Sajó and the bridge on it. I'll tel this tomorrow.
The same was by the hill of Regéc in 1285 (second big mongolian raids into hung), , and in the time of Holy Ladislaus in the 11. Century.

In the 14. cent. the szeklers with the troups of the trans. voivid. Lackfy smashed the Golden Horde regim and troups in the terr. of Moldavia, but they were using mixed heavy and light cavalry tactics.

Zoltán
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bartek Strojek wrote:
"The word "scimitar", known in English since 1548, according to Wikipedia. And all curved swords that are hiding behind that meaning weren't really used anywhere in XIII century, and certainly not in Poland.

Probably not by the men-at-arms. But I wouldn't rule out its potential use by the lighter horsemen recruited from Lithuanian and Central European (principally Serbian and Hungarian) sources.

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
http://www.ourdecay.com/Medieval/Pics/crusaders_great_helm_400.jpg

Do you think that this helm could be used during that time, or it is very advanced for XIII century?

The basic shape looks about right, though the details are too modern and "fancy." Such helms were just beginning to appear in the last quarter of the 13th century and some Polish men-at-arms would probably have worn it, though I think it would still have been far from universal. For more historical examples you can check this page:

http://home.scarlet.be/~klauwaer/helm/

Bartek Strojek wrote:
Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Maybe this will sound stupid, but do you know if in 1526 Pal Tomori, wore armour, and lance, like the French Men-at-arms? It is really weird to see a Bishop wearing armour and fighting.

As far as I know, fighting bishops weren't really anything weird in medieval. They were often man of wealth and power, with their own forces on battlefield, so if they were able, they often fought too.

Must agree with that--militant bishops was a very common medieval phenomenon, including in the Catholic parts of Eastern Europe. The Orthodox realms were a bit less enthusiastic about letting their bishops take up weapons, but then they don't really seem to be inside the scope of the discussion. Moreover, the Hungarian royalty had dynastic ties with the French house of Anjou, and this connection facilitated the transfer of military ideas and technologies (including armor) from Western Europe to Hungary--probably faster than it would have been without the dynastic link, at least if we're talking about the arms, armor, and tactics of the military aristocracy.

There's a site that summarizes a great deal of information about Eastern European armies in a highly readable form, mostly intended for wargamers but also useful for general historical interests. Here are its Polish and Hungarian sections:

http://www.warfareeast.co.uk/main/Poland.htm

http://www.warfareeast.co.uk/main/Medieval_Hungary.htm
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gordon. Those Helms are really awesome, very nice indeed. Thats the shape that i like in great helms.

Do you think then that the crosses in the great helms in Zoltan´s beltplate could be painted, instead of attached enforcements to the helm?
Guys:
Thanks for all your help i really appreciate you.

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Do you think then that the crosses in the great helms in Zoltan´s beltplate could be painted, instead of attached enforcements to the helm?

Check the Klauwaerts page again--one of the last helmets depicted on the page (from 1350) seems to have had the cross painted instead of being metal flanges or reinforcements, but it's worth noting that this example comes from the end of the great helm's "Golden Age," well outside the period you're asking for, and I'm not sure whether the idea would be applicable for a 13th-century (as opposed to 14th-century) helmet.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eastern Europe Knights XIII century
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: