Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword vs. Pick / Warhammer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Brian Jensen

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Sword vs. Pick / Warhammer         Reply with quote

Sword vs. Pick / Warhammer

ok, i have been thinking, about something i read, that a Pick or warhammer is a superior weapon then a sword.
is this right? and how does these weapons differ when used with a shield?

-Brian Bergh
brianbbj@hotmail.com
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is my opinion neither is superior to the other. The warhammer is more effective when assaulting heavy armor, but the sword is a very versatile weapon.

What say the rest of you?
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword vs. Pick / Warhammer         Reply with quote

Brian Jensen wrote:
Sword vs. Pick / Warhammer

ok, i have been thinking, about something i read, that a Pick or warhammer is a superior weapon then a sword.
is this right? and how does these weapons differ when used with a shield?

Hi Brian,

I would be careful when stating that a weapon of one kind is superior to a weapon of another. It is like "apples and oranges" type of comparison. Plus you would tick-off many of us sword lovers Wink joking aside, each kind of weapon could be superior to another in a particular circumstance. There is probably no perfect all around weapon, even though some could be more versatile than others. Example: long pole weapons might be more effective against mounted foes, but are virtually useless in close quarter combat.

So depending on the situation, the most appropriate weapon might be different.

I have to say that with time, weapons evolved that combined the characteristics of earlier weapons. Think pole axes, halberds, and the like. These could cut, thrust, had a long reach, and were effective against armour (even plate armour). So against well armoured enemies (knights after 1300 will be wearing some kind of plate armour, and after 1400 full plate was fairly popular to reach its peak around 1500) , a pole axe, pole hammer , or a halberd may give you a better chance of dealing with your foes. I personally will always choose a war sword against largely unarmored opponents.

This is my opinion, and it may very well be wrong. It will be nice to see other opinions as well

Cheers,

Alexi
Brian Jensen

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

another guy on another forum, told me he had seen a program named Conquest on discovery, stating what i have asked about in the first post. that picks / warhammers are better then swords.

Thanks for posts, please write more!

also i was thinking that a pick maybe is deadly on a precise blow, but as we all know not many blows are in a direct angle ie. precise, and there i see that the pick spike may glide of, but the sword may still make some injury, becouse its simply has a larger areal of "sharp edge or striking surface".

generaly i would very much like some people who maybe own a replica or something, tell me how a a "pick" type weapon is like.

-Brian Bergh
brianbbj@hotmail.com
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Worried "Conquest" is an extremely unreliable source of information, like most television. You are right, that the longer edge of a sword does offer more chances of hurting an enemy than the head of a war hammer. As Alexi and Ryan noted, the best weapon depends on circumstances; a sword is a very versatile weapon, and the war hammer more specialized. Swords are generally faster than percussive weapons, and usually have a longer reach, both of which can be great advantages. A hammer is great for dealing with plate metal, though.
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen show on History Channel in which a simple quarter staff was claimed
to be the better weapon when compared to a sword. Supposedly an Englishman in
the 1500's bested two Spanish swordsmen with a simple staff. Maybe so, maybe no.
If a person was untrained, I think a pole arm, like A&A's Knightly Pole Ax would be the
more easily and quickly learned. I know I'd rather have a sword if just for the status
it would imply.
Arthur A. Elwell

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: War Hammer         Reply with quote

Here's a anti-armour weapon ! Very specialized !

Attachment: 47.82 KB
twohandhammer (Medium).JPG

Arthur A. Elwell
A Work Of Art
http://www.a-work-of-art.net
aelwell45@msn.com
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That particular incident has a historical basis (in Silver?); a staff has longer reach, and in two hands is very fast indeed.

However, the staff is a lousy battle weapon. For one thing, no army ever went into battle so armed. To be fully effective, the staff needs a lot of room to maneuver, which means very few men in your line. Against plate armor, it wouldn't be much use - you could knock a foe down, and maybe concuss him, but not kill. Against a shield wall or phalanx, a staff is not a great weapon either - you might well knock over or stun the guy directly in front, but his friend's spears are just as long as your staff, and they are trying to poke holes in you.

Since the staff needs to hands, you have no shield. If you have full body armor, this might be okay - but the agility to use the staff well might suffer. If you aren't well armored and have no shield, you are easy pickings for any archer on the other side (not to mention javelins and thrown spears).
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: War Hammer         Reply with quote

Arthur A. Elwell wrote:
Here's a anti-armour weapon ! Very specialized !

Oooh. That's the one from lutel, isn't it? I've always wanted to see that one "up close".
Brian Jensen

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice weapon! you can proberly answer my question?

is it not had to hit the right angle when using the spike?, im thinking against a metal plate?

-Brian Bergh
brianbbj@hotmail.com
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:
I have seen show on History Channel in which a simple quarter staff was claimed
to be the better weapon when compared to a sword. Supposedly an Englishman in
the 1500's bested two Spanish swordsmen with a simple staff. Maybe so, maybe no.
If a person was untrained, I think a pole arm, like A&A's Knightly Pole Ax would be the
more easily and quickly learned. I know I'd rather have a sword if just for the status
it would imply.

That sounds like the story of the English sailer, Richard Peeke, from his own account, anyway. Terry Brown's English Martial Arts has a good description of the incident, though here's a brief summary:

England and Spain were at war in 1625, and Peeke was in an English naval squadron that was attacking a Spanish stronghold. Sailors ended up onshore to forage for food. Peeke went alone and was caught and captured. At his interrogation he was asked about the prowess of English fighters compared to Spanish ones, and Peeke essentially laughed at the Spaniards. The demanded proof, and Peeke was allowed to fight a Spanish champion in rapier and dagger. Peeke won, so they demanded more proof. Peeke claimed that with a quarterstaff he could take on up to six, so they gave him a staff, and had him face three soldiers present, all armed with rapiers. Peek killed one, and injured and disarmed the other two. The Spanish were so impressed that they released him and granted him safe passage back to England.

It's a great story, though I personally have some skepticism, since the account comes from Three to One, written by who else than Richard Peeke himself. Whether any of the story is true or not, though, it does show the English's faith in the quarterstaff.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds more like Jackie Chan than an Englishman.
Josh S.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A warhammer is superior in terms of dealing with armored opponents, but a sword is generally better for most situations. A warhammer is usually pretty heavy, not only that but the weight is also concentrated at the far end of the bar/stick; as such it requires much more effort to handle than a sword of the same weight. A sword also has more damage-inflicting area(blade edge), which makes it more versatile -you can swing it at full force and range for more reach, tuck your arms in for closer brawling, use thrusts, draw cuts, etc.

However, it's also true that a warhammer is somewhat easier to use than a sword if you're untrained in the use of medieval weapons -at least for me it was. With a sword you have to be much more aware and alert, not to mention there are right and wrong ways of swinging a sword, the need to keep the blade parallel to the line of travel, etc. With a warhammer, all you have to do is swing, technique doesn't really matter.

It's not hard at all to make a direct, right-angle hit(both with the hammer and the spike ends). Most warhammers even have a slight downward curve on the back spike which allows a puncture to happen without a direct right-angle strike, making it even easier to do what it's supposed to do. I have Cold Steel's warhammer, and although it's probably not very historically accurate in terms of its design, it is accurate in terms of its capability -even using the hammer end, it's fairly easy to make centimeter-deep indentions in a dead tree's trunk...

"The accomplishment of man has been to remain fractured, by cause of which we are strong."
-Jerome Santus Perriere
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh S. wrote:
A warhammer is superior in terms of dealing with armored opponents, but a sword is generally better for most situations. A warhammer is usually pretty heavy, not only that but the weight is also concentrated at the far end of the bar/stick; as such it requires much more effort to handle than a sword of the same weight. A sword also has more damage-inflicting area(blade edge), which makes it more versatile -you can swing it at full force and range for more reach, tuck your arms in for closer brawling, use thrusts, draw cuts, etc.

However, it's also true that a warhammer is somewhat easier to use than a sword if you're untrained in the use of medieval weapons -at least for me it was. With a sword you have to be much more aware and alert, not to mention there are right and wrong ways of swinging a sword, the need to keep the blade parallel to the line of travel, etc. With a warhammer, all you have to do is swing, technique doesn't really matter.

It's not hard at all to make a direct, right-angle hit(both with the hammer and the spike ends). Most warhammers even have a slight downward curve on the back spike which allows a puncture to happen without a direct right-angle strike, making it even easier to do what it's supposed to do. I have Cold Steel's warhammer, and although it's probably not very historically accurate in terms of its design, it is accurate in terms of its capability -even using the hammer end, it's fairly easy to make centimeter-deep indentions in a dead tree's trunk...

Do you have a picture of the Cold Steel warhammer? I couldn't find it on their website. Confused
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IMO both are tools that can be applied to multiple tasks although they may both excell at specific ones.

Best is a matter of personal preferance.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Do you have a picture of the Cold Steel warhammer? I couldn't find it on their website. Confused

http://store.yahoo.com/csstoreonline/warhammer.html
Happy
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fredrik Hörnell wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

http://store.yahoo.com/csstoreonline/warhammer.html
Happy

Thanks.
Happy
Allen W

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
However, it's also true that a warhammer is somewhat easier to use than a sword if you're untrained in the use of medieval weapons -at least for me it was. With a sword you have to be much more aware and alert, not to mention there are right and wrong ways of swinging a sword, the need to keep the blade parallel to the line of travel, etc. With a warhammer, all you have to do is swing, technique doesn't really matter

Angle of incidence is easily as important( if not more so) when striking with a hammer's spike as when cutting with an edge.
Walt Ligon

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As has been pointed out, it isn't really weapon superiority, but preference given a sodier's job on the battle field, his training and experience, and other things.

Many soldiers weren't good with a longsword. In formation, a longsword is generally hard to use effectively. For a knight, a warhammer can quickly bash a helm or body armor. Penetrate or not, it can seriously wound an opponent, damage armor, etc. All you have to do is get it going and start bashing. One on one, in the hands of a skilled swordsman, probably a sword is faster and more versatile.

Each weapon has its uses. Each formation lends itself to different weapons. Ranks of spearmen can fend off charging infantry and cavalry, but break them up into smaller groups and they aren't as effective - can't move the spears around as easily. There were certainly knights who preferred to take a hammer and bash skulls until the lines were broken and then switched to a sword or other weapon. Most knights had a variety of weapons they could use, depending on the situation and their own skills. Just because you are a knight doesn't mean you are great with a sword.

The average soldier, probably little more than a peasant, didn't need much training if handed a spear on hammer, or even an axe and taught to line up and work as a team to hold a line so the cavalry and archers could do their job. Swords, on the other hand, could thrust, cut, bash, and parry - worked on horse or on foot.

Walt
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In a plain duel with space for each fighter and no armor, the sword is a vastly superior weapon. Single handed warhammers were rarely more than 2ft long and often shorter, while single handed swords were generally around 3ft. That is a considerable advantage right there, especially when combined with the sword's superior balance. I'd also argue that to an unarmored man, sword blows are considerably more lethal. As we all know, single handed sword blows can take off hands, arms, legs and heads. Sure a strong hammer strike to the forehead would splatter a man's skull, but a sword blow of the same force would probably cut down into his chest if not beyond. And, of course, marginal hits from the edge of sword would be more likely to injure than marginal hits from a hammer.

So that's the reason for favoring the sword - it's superior in ideal conditions. However, clearly those aren't battefield conditions. In the middle of a melee against plate-armored foes clearly the hammer would be better. But if a footman expected to encounter heavy armor, he'd be better served with a 2-handed hammer, bill, halberd or pollaxe. When fighting on foot with a shield, a spear would often be prefered (according to The King's Mirror, for example). Even with a shield, reach is a major factor. In general, neither single handed hammer nor single handed sword were primary weapons on the field. The sword might well have the advantage in ambushes and skirmishes, which would be likely to lack of heavy armor (skirmishing footmen aren't likely to be wearing much armor and surprise or haste might preclude armor entirely).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword vs. Pick / Warhammer
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: