Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about the Arms and Armor "Nordland Axe" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Questions about the Arms and Armor "Nordland Axe"         Reply with quote

I am considering buying the axe seen here: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole213.html (Why does Firefox consider the word axe to be spelled incorrectly?). I've read the review on the prototype, and the only discernible difference I can find visually (from the pictures) is in the handle; the Nordland production type has a slightly modified shaft that better engages the hand when fully extended. The only other difference is the price, the original being targeted at 50USD or less, with the final piece being over 50USD.

Just how a-historical is this axe? It was, according to the review, historically plausible, but I know little of axes, unfortunately (axes is a correct spelling, but axe is not?). I am hoping to create a kit for a foot soldier (I own no horse) that can be adjusted to fit in from the 7th century up to the later middle ages. This means an axe is an economic choice as a side arm to the spear I will be making for it (maybe I'll make two and post the other up here on the cheap for the fine members seeking one), but I don't want to waste even 90USD on something that just isn't going to work. Location wise the kit is generic.

Also, what is the black coating made of? If the head is cast (which is a-historical), I assumed some sort of spray-on epoxy.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nobody has insight on this topic?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Petersen's Type C is described as: asymmetrical with level top side, deep sharp curve to lower side and bearded edge.

Arms and Armor is pretty darned faithful to the profile of a type C; even including the slight lip on the bottom rear edge of the socket. As far as distal taper it's tough to say from the picture but it doesn't look overly thick and clunky like most "viking" axes on the market.

The coating is another matter. That's not just the oxide from tempering; it's some kind of paint and not accurate that I know of. Steel that is blackened from tempering is black but has hints of other colors in it, almost but not quite like an oil spill. The Nordland axe looks like it's got a powder coat on it. I'd buy it anyway (if I didn't already have half a doze axes Big Grin ) and just remove the paint. It's really very nice IMO.

Hope the picture below helps.

Attachment: 18.01 KB
Petersen Axes A thru F.JPG

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Nordland         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Yes the piece does have a black painted surface. This is to reduce maintenance and give a decent look to the piece. It can be taken off or one could order it without paint as well. It is a historical but our objective with this piece was to make a nice axe from the early nordic period and make it as affordable as possible. We did go with a custom shaped haft as this is so integral to the axes of the period we did not want to leave it off. It did increase the price a bit but we felt it was worth it.

The head, if ordered with out paint, would be with an as cast finish. We can polish the head for an additional fee. If interested drop us an email aa@armor.com

Best
Craig

A&A Inc.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about the Arms and Armor "Nordland Axe"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic