Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glennan Carnie wrote:
So what's happened with the Albion Europe site? That seems to have been down since 21 Aug. Is it the same problems?

It's strange because although http://www.albion-europe.com/ only displays the maintenance note, you can still browse the site at http://www.albion-europe.com/shop/. I don't know if it is really safe or fully functional though...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you read the warnings closely, it could also have been that one of the sites hosted by this server has been infected, might not even be albion's. I disregarded it anyways, I run Firefox on Linux, no paltry malware will deter me...
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Albionswords.com and Firefox 3         Reply with quote

After nearly 2 years the girls finally talked lazy me into using FF.
I've probably been to Albions site hundreds of times drooling over the offerings and reading articles without a hitch.
Now I decide to see if anything new is going on there and FF gives me this warning.

"" Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.albion-swords.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners. ""

""Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for albion-swords.com/swords/

What is the current listing status for albion-swords.com/swords/?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 10 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 4 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 09/23/2008, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 09/01/2008.

Malicious software includes 6 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 12 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including madway.net.

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, albion-swords.com/swords/ did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
* If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center. """

I want to stress that I have never before while using IE7 had any reason to doubt my PC security when visiting Albion.
As I said before FF3 is brand new to me and I imagine more than a few of the forumites here use FF.
For the most part I am just curious if any other members here receive the same message. On a usual day I visit at least 1/2 dozen sites dealing with sharp pointy weapons & armour and so far with the new install Albion.com is the only site generating this warning.
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi JDC. Have a look at this topic:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14186

This may explain the problem you've encountered.
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the link D. Austin.

After posting I revisited Albion with IE7 and let both Norton Internet Securities and Ad-Aware have a go at detecting anything amiss and both came up with nada.

I've been using the default settings with Firefox. I don't imagine they could make the claim of safest browser available if they didn't err on the side of caution.

Hate to see that their site was attacked but it looks as if it's been since the 1st of the month since any suspicious occurences. . All hackers must be hung by their thumbs and forced to practice with inferior blades.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I merged the topics. Please do a search before posting a new topic, especially this type of stuff. No big deal, it's just easier that way
Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just thought I would point out that it is still possible to browse Albion's site if you really want to. I trust that the malicious software has been removed, as Howy stated, and I am on a Linux system (I have to put in the root password to change things like my screen resolution; software being installed without my permission is very unlikely). I simply went to the security tab on my Firefox preferences and unchecked the "warn me of suspected attack sites" option. This means I was taking a risk, and you may not want to do this, if you are concerned. I can tell you, however, that I did not encounter any software attempting to install itself on my system while I was in any portion of the site (because I'm using Linux, a program trying to install itself would have asked me for my root password in order to approve the installation).

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Søren Niedziella

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: The state of Albion Europe         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted before. The last month has been really bad :-( As Howy stated earlier in this thread the Albion Europe (AE) site was hacked back in August. I found this out when I returned from a medieval market late August - and had the site down fairly fast . For a while the site, email etc. was down and getting "cleaned".

That wasn't the end of the problems as I soon found out. I originally ordered my webshop through a friends company. They handled all the contact with the guys offering and hosting the shop. In the last two years my friends company was bought by a different company, changed name, staff etc.

Nothing of this affected me until the shop was hacked. No I sudden found myself with an "old, unsupported" version of their shop that had to be "upgraded" to work. This upgrade has removed most of the tweaks that made the AE what is was - and there were huge problems getting credit card payment going again ..as well as lots of small text bits missing ...and many designs that now have changed (and not for the better). All of this causing no end of frustrations at my end (aand bout a month of lost sales)...and has caused my customer service level/response time to drop to a low were it hopefully never will be again Sad Big appologies to all affected customers - I am working hard to catch up now!

The site will however have to stay in this "unfinished" version for a month or so .. as the new AE site (planned long, long ago ...and very late) will launch soon-ish. So time and money is going into that one instead.

Best wishes,

Søren

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: