Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Please teach me about a "codpiece"... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you for teaching it in detail.
(By the fight that used a sword or polaxe... I thought that the "projection" more easily hit than the "flat".)

Remember that a lot of codpieces found on armour made for the field (i.e. for war) would not stick-out as far as that one. And even in the case of the suit of armour that you included, remember that you're talking about specifically hitting something roughly the size of an apple (the codpiece) versus hitting the rest of the hip or leg. Even although the codpiece portrudes quite a bit, the rest of the leg and hip around it are far larger targets, and far easier to hit.
Erik R.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My current rig uses an "exaggerated" codpiece and aside from modern descency complaints I've had no problems with it. I've been fighting "live steel" for 10+ yrs with it on, and its never hindered my movement. In fact, it works well to distract my opponent.

The supposition that they were only for parade suits is incorrect. King Henry VIII, essentially, started the trend in England of the enlarged codpiece. Which over time came to display a knight's (warriors) prowess both in the bedroom and on the field. Of course, not to be outdone the codpiece grew both is size and elaborate design.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Please teach me about a "codpiece"...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: