Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Henry VIII's 1520 foot combat armour in the R.A. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Henry VIII's 1520 foot combat armour in the R.A.         Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have had a couple of pet projects that I have been wanting to make for some time now, but have never been able to get round to it. However, now I am hoping to get started on one of them shortly; the foot combat harness of King Henry VIII in the Royal Armouries, ca. 1520, II.6.
I am trying to amass as many images of this harness as possible. I have some, and hope to get some more from the R.A. But I wondered if any of you by any chance, have been to the Royal Armouries at Leeds and have taken any close up, detailed and perhaps unusual pictures of this harness? And if so, if you might be prepared to share them with me?

I am also on the lookout for images and information of the other foot combat harness , II.8, 1540 ( still at the ' Tower' ).

Many thanks for anything that you might have.....

Regards,

Russ Happy

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Russ,

I have a few pics from strange angles, catches and the like, though I don't think I will be able to download them here, I could send them by email if you are interested, it is a piece I will also be doing in the not too distant future, and I know of a chap in Australia who is also working on it.

There are some interior photos on the web maybe even this forum, but I can't remember where I have seen them?

Catch
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Henry VIII'S 1520 foot combat armour         Reply with quote

Hi Russ,

I think there may be some images in a book I have at home (offshore at the moment) titled 'Treasures from the Tower', published before the move to Leeds, which contains I think images of Henry's foot armour and some other harnesses, swords, pistols, halberds, targes etc.

It's surplus to requirement so if you want me to post it on to you pm me with your address and I'll send it on when I get back home.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This may also be of interest? http://video.aol.com/video-detail/royal-armou...cid=acvsv1

Catch
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Foot combat harness II.6         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

Thankyou for the input so far ! Happy

Lawrence I would indeed be interested in any pictures that you may have of this harness, thankyou! I have already noticed from the video at least one small detail that I had forgotten regarding the construction of the couters. So thankyou for that.

Dave,

PM. sent Happy

It seems that several of us are thinking of making copies of this harness ! I also know of another armourer who is thinking of making one. Happy

Regards,

Russ

Robert MacPherson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,

Have you got Viscount Dillon's 1912 article from Archaeological Journal (volume LXIX, second series, vol XVIII)? It is essential. It shows a couple of pics of the armpit defense. I could photocopy my photocopy if you like, but I'm not so sure it will be very legible.

Mac
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac,

I just missed out on a copy at Trotmans Sad So unfortunately I do not have it. I would certainly love to have a scan of the pictures and any information about them that you might have if possible. Thankyou! Happy
I cannot work out how they fitted, do you have any ideas , what and where ?? I have a picture of one of them, and it is very curious how they are riveted together too. The middle plate on the inside appears to be riveted through three layers of metal, in a rather slapdash manner ?

And please don't tell me that you are going to make a copy as well ....that would be five of us - that I know of ! Laughing Out Loud

Many thanks for the kind offer Mac, it is greatly appreciated Happy

Regards,

Russ

PS. My copy of 'The Armor of Galiot de Genouilhac' arrived, it is mint, with a beautifully signed copperplate inscription by Grancsay, December 1, 1937 !

Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anybody have a photo of the helmet in the open position, I am curious as to how far the crown comes forward, also interior photos?

Catch
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Lawrence,

I have written to the R.A. to try and find out what images they have on file, and hopefully to try and obtain the relevant copies, but so far have had no reply.

It is a long time since I have examined the piece, but as I recall it is fairly normal in proportion. So the best I can do at present is to show you this drawing of the 1527 harness in the Met.

Regards,

Russ

Attachment: 30.18 KB
scan0010.jpg

James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, Russ, if you do a google search with "Viscount Dillon" "Henry VIII" armour you should, on Google book search, be able to access a pdf of the volume in question. I'm afraid the pic's on the pdf aren't any better than a photocopy. If you can paste this monster into your browser, it'll take you right to it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=eqI8AAAAIAAJ...A1-PA78,M1

jamesarlen.com
Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, James,

forgive me for my ignorance, but I don't seem to be able to get beyond a contents page and a few little snippets. What to you click to get the relevant pages?

Catch
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

I was hoping that you might show up on this one Happy

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I seem to have a whacking great problem with pdf files. My computer can't read them! Carlo tried to send me the hardware to open them for the info. on the Lauder harness, and it killed my computer ! Cry I have tried to install it several time but to no avail. I do not know what the problem is, but I do know that I am absolutely no good with any modern technology after about AD.1650 ! Laughing Out Loud I have tried threatening the computer with turning it into a helmet or something but that didn't work either Worried Any suggestions anyone??

Russ

James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ, I have to admit I'm lucky that this computer doesnt' handle them well, but it does handle them. I would have big problems diagnosing and fixing any significant problem.
jamesarlen.com
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Well lets hear a round of applause for Johan S. Moen!!! Laughing Out Loud He kindly sent me a link to a version of Adobe reader that has loaded! And it loaded first time. Computer is still working fine too.......so far! Thankyou very much Johan.
I will try and down load the article a little later on.
Thanks for everybodies help .

Regards,

Russ

Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi Folks,

I am also on the hunt for good images of the other Henry VIII foot combat harness, II.8. 1540. if anybody perchance has some ? Happy
Many thanks to everybody who has kindly responded to the call , so far ! Big Grin

Regards,

Russ

James Barker

PostPosted: Mon 05 May, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have images from my trip to Leeds in 06 http://www.historiclife.com/Events/Museums/LeedsTournament.htm
James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 May, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankyou James, there are a couple of images there that are almost exactly what I was after, namely the codpiece ! Several other images show nice clear details of certain parts of the harness , and will be of great use.
Many thanks for sharing them Happy
Did you by any chance get to the Tower as well ? I just wondered if perchance you had any of the other footcombat harness, Henry's 1540 armour,II.8 ?

Thanks again, they are most helpful.

Regards,

Russ

James Barker

PostPosted: Mon 05 May, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have 2 images of the full suit but no detail images; I will try and my Tower images up this week.
James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Marc G

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all.

I thought I might jump into this conversation as well.

I was in London last week and went to the Tower of London and saw the suit of Henry the VIII's armour there for the foot tourney (II 8 I think it was being refered to earlier) and fell in love with it.

I decided pretty much then and there that is what I wanted my full harness to look like. Unfortunately I have only just graduated from university so buying a suit is out of the question and also I have not had chance to really get any skills in armouring though I am looking to take it up as a hobby and put a more concerted effort into it.

I was wondering if I could get any advise on how to go about aquiring a suit of this sort (not necessarily of the same quality obviously) through either work on it myself and purchasing. Is there a particular area to start and will it function as a partial suit or does the entire suit need to be present to really benefit. Sorry I am rambling a bit. Is it best to start with the breast plate and work outwards?

I know this will definitely be a very advanced suit for someone with as little skill as myself but I intend to practice on other projects and get help for when I work on this armour.

I am currently learning the short sword with my re-enactment club as per the writings of George Silver and as such I want my arms and armour to reflect an English style and I have yet to see a suit of this period I like more.

I would also love some additional photos of the armour (the ones I took I don't think are the best angles or quality).

Thank you for your help and sorry for hijacking your thread Russ

Regards

Marc
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Marc,

And welcome to myArmoury! Happy No problems about hijacking the thread, this is what it is all about ! Laughing Out Loud

The King Henry VIII ( II.8 ) harness that you will have seen at the Tower of London, has always held a special place in my affections. It is a very majestic armour, and so imposing when one stands in front of it....I can only too well imagine what it was like to stand in front of it when he was wearing it! Eek!

Here are a couple of drawings by the late Russell Robinson, showing the different combinations that could be used with the armour. Hopefully, it will give you some ideas.

As regards making armour, I would strongly suggest that you get a copy of 'Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction', (TOMAR), by Brian Price. It is a very good springboard for anyone new to armour making to get some of the basic ideas and techniques. There are also several armourers here on this forum, who I am sure will be happy to help and give advice when asked for Happy certainly if I can help you in anyway, just ask !

Since I was an apprentice and going to the 'Tower' to study every Saturday, I have always had a keen interest in Greenwich armour, and those of Henry VIII in particular. There are two remaining at the 'Tower' now, and two more at Leeds, plus a fifth on the stairs at Windsor castle. There are also two more ( possibly !?) in the Metropolitan Museum in New York. If you are interested in these armours , then I would suggest getting a copy of the Royal Armouries booklet ( if you haven't already ), 'The Armour and Arms of Henry VIII' by Thom Richardson. It is only £5 and well worth the purchase price, like all Thom Richardson's books I should add! Happy

As I said, if I can help you at all, just drop me a line.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Attachment: 38.81 KB
Henry VIII harness.jpg

Attachment: 38.51 KB
Henry VIII.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Henry VIII's 1520 foot combat armour in the R.A.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: