Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dismountable hilts on Western swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Chad's concern is most valid with high-end swords--those with close tolerances, wedges, keyed pommels, etc.

Anybody can disassemble and reassemble a screw-mounted Windlass sword and it'll still be pretty much as it left the factory, for better or worse, with no damage to the components or fit. Most of those are compression-fit, with lots of play in the components and each component dependent upon the stability of the others. Unscrew the pommel even a little bit and they fall to pieces. The upside of this is that such hilts can be reassembled in a more secure and historicaly accurate manner. If you don't know how to do that, you haven't lost anything.

On the other hand, take down an Albion or A&A and you're either not going to be able to match the quality of the original assembly or you're going to get a crash course in doing it to original specs.

I recently re-gripped and repaired the tang of an A&A. It's not an easy-on, easy-off job, even though the pommel turned out be secured by a threaded nut. The pommel is keyed, so it sits independent of the grip and cross. Likewise, if you take off the grip the cross remains tightly in place. Ditto for the grip if you were to cut off the cross. There are some other historically accurate things going on under there, and somebody without some knowledge of basic metalwork, tools and historical sword construction would have trouble rebuilding the hilt securely.

Addressing Chad's concern more specifically: Doing this work wrong even once with a sword like this would have immediate consequences for the stability of the hilt. You probably wouldn't do much, if any, damage to the tang or major steel components, but wood, thin steel and nonferrous metals are vulnerable to even one misstep--cracking, deformation, misplacement, etc. Long term, even a technically perfect reassembly with a new grip could lead to trouble if the wood of the grip isn't properly stabilized or formed. None of this is irreparable, of course. You learn from mistakes and rebuild.

I'm glad I had practice upgrading Windlass hilts before cracking open the A&A. I'd have been sweating blood, otherwise.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure where my philosophy of routine inspection really lies. I'm including an old horrid scan I did of three tangs of swords with screw on pommels. The widest blade has the slimmest tang, yet it was a sword Patrick Kelly beat the pemmican out of and the grip to tang fit is/was the best of the three (Oscar Kolombatovich).

The narrowest blade has the largest threads and had the most ill fitting grip and guard. I never did take it apart until it started to loosen on its own, hardly right away but I did always wonder what the "crick" was about. Shims a wedge and a spacer for that one. Not quite ten years of random but fairly regular flourishing and impacts. it trucks on (late 1990s Windlass).

The other one is also an older sword with a doorknob pommel that lines up any which way. One of the MRL/Del Tin assemblies. A better grip and guard fit but my overuse has sprouted a couple of small cracks in the grip. This has been an "I think it can" sword for about eight years (in my hands, I bought it used) and I still take it out for back yard cane cutting.

One I don't have a ready apart photo of is the Glen Parrell Conyers. I don't know if Eric McHugh (the Bishop) installed the leather washers. This is a screwed on pommel as well. I've had it apart three times. When first acquired, when I first noticed small cracks in the oak grip (both ends) and a couple of years ago when I wrapped the core in synthetic sinew (blister city) and I have yet to do leather (that is about the pace I move on some projects).

My other readily broken down items are two Gus Trim swords. The old XIIIa never came apart for the first couple of years but it did settle, so I tightened it. The tang was no mystery to me as they were well covered on the boards. The deerskin Howy had glued on did eventually start to peel and it was then I took the grip off, as to more easily stitch the leather up (still going strong). The other ATrim i bought at the end of 2003 and did slip it apart on arrival (because it was winter and it was loose from a snowbank delivery). It has not been apart since and as with the other, needed a minor tighten after a bit of use.

The three in the scan I have had apart pretty regulalry to show folk at an annual exhibition. I've even been tinkering with the idea of putting the old Del Tin blade in different fittings. Other than that, they stay together.

Of my three A&As, it is the two bronze fitted ones that have needed the faux pommel peen nut given a nudge to tight. I may take the bronze BP apart at some point because the guard fit is a bit sloppy and the grip not quite right (a pre update era sword). My German Bastard has remained tight and perhaps used the most harshly. The previous owner didn't understand the nut routine and there was a little scarring of the beautiful crown A&A puts on the tang end.

So, I guess that explains my disparity of approach. Some tangs I look at rarely or never, others frequently but more because I can, and to show others.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 11.96 KB
scanned picture 1.jpg

Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gordon Clark wrote:
Funny - I was thinking of a related thing earlier today. I think this is close enough not to deflect the topic too much.

I was wondering how often medeival swords were "regripped". I'm betting that if a sword hilt or grip became cracked or loose in some way that affected performance, that you would just get a cuttler to replace it. I wonder if this was done regularly, fairly often, or almost never. Labor was cheap, and so was the material needed to regrip a sword - if it was important, I see no reason that you would not get a professional to do it for you. If it were done regularly, any problem with the tang might be noticed in that process...

Gordon

That's a great question, Gordon. And very relevant. Maybe some of our more active swordsmen will chime in:

On a piece seeing a lot of use, how often does the grip (core and all) need to be replaced?

Some will depend on the wood's inherent strength as well as whether cord or wire help reinforce the wood. Use is a big factor, too. How tightly the tang fits the grip is another factor; sloppy fits encourage extra motion and wear.

You wouldn't have to dismount a sword to regrip it. There is evidence that metal and wood shims were used to hold pommels and guards in place. If those pieces were secure, you could just make a new grip sandwich and glue it on.

Maybe grips were more consumable than we think and tang inspection occurred when replacing it.

Well I can only speak from my experience, such as it is. I train in a group about 2x a week, weather permitting. I always do some free play so my practice swords see what would have been considered very heavy use in period as far as I know. Both my swords are Albions. One is a Squire line Great Sword and the other the Leichteuaner. Of the two I've only had to re wrap the Squire line once, and that's with heavy use seeing as the squire has been in service for almost three years now. Neither show any signs of loosening at all, and that's with full contact drills and free play. The guards and pommels are tight as the day I got them and the grips are original, even on the Great sword which is by fay the older of the two and has seen a great deal more use. Like I said I've only had to replace a leather wrap on one sword and they both are used in group 2 x a week and by me about 6 x a week when I practice at home. I don't foresee having to replace the grip cores on either of these swords in the near future but I guess only more time and more usage will tell for sure.

Winter is coming
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, I know you wouldn't purposely not read a post, but I also know it's easy to miss one, or pass over one on accident. By your other response I wasn't sure if you had read it.

No, the rust wasn't eating through the tang yet, but if it had been left alone, it definitely would have. There a few different types of oxides that form on steel depending on environments. If you see red rust (iron oxide)... you don't want it, red (or brownish red) rust will constantly corrode the tang with out protecting it. Plus, there was also some mud and general gunk trapped in the different hilt components that I got out by disassembling the piece. I would not have been able to clean it as well if I could not disassemble it.

One thing people may be forgetting with peened tangs, even compression ones. Is that you can not grind the peen off, change the grip, and expect to replace a new grip with the same handle length. Your handle length will have to get shorter every time you grind off the peen, because there is not as much material on the end the tang anymore. So a simple repeening for a grip change isn't so simple.

Historically, I do not believe that real swords (european) were used as often as we use them today. Trainers or blunts where mostly used for training, and an actual sword was only taken into battle. A swords useful life probably didn't last more than a few, maybe even only one battle, so rehilting or regripping may not have been an issue as it is today. However, with Japanese, this is different, training with the actual sword was done quite often, therefore the hilt needed to be redone quite often, which is why japanese swords are meant to be taken down. Chinese swords, in this respect, are more like european swords, in that they were mostly used only in battle, and trainers and wasters were used for practice, so the Chinese sword saw a useful life of a very few amount of battles, therefore most historical chinese swords can not be taken down either. So to say "because it was not needed back in history, we do not need to do it now" is not really a fair statement because it's not a direct comparrison in terms of useage.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another possible aspect of this is; How likely should it be for breakage to occur at the tang of a well built sword?

To my way of thinking, if the tang's proportions and radius's are well designed, solidly fitted / sealed, and constructed, then neither corrosion nor failure should be of highest frequency at the tang. One can go to other forums, search, and find examples of katanas and such being abusively beaten over an anvil. For the more experienced makers and proven designs, the failures seem to occur in regions of blade impact, not at the tang. On the other hand, if you utilize an actual axe or sledge hammer that has some play and loose fit in the handle to head assembly, you should anticipate a potential accident even though it really is massively heavy and "built like a hammer." As long as the removable hilt advocates do maintain the components so that play and looseness/ corrosion is corrected, I figure it just comes down to the adequacy of the original tang geometry design.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me, it would be not so much customization so much as easy of hot blueing and touch ups would be nice.

As for tang inspection...in japanese swords, your checking the tuska core...not the tang. So the euro counter part is to check the wood in the handle core isn't cracked/broken. Which can be seen and is rather dangerous to use a sword with. So I think this could be valid...but the tang seems kinda silly unless it's REALLY obviously why are you even comtemplating using this sword bad.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
So to say "because it was not needed back in history, we do not need to do it now" is not really a fair statement because it's not a direct comparrison in terms of useage.

For the record, I never made a statement as absolute as yours is. I said:

I wrote:
The evidence seems to say that it wasn't important for them to inspect the tang (or they would have developed a better way to get the sword apart), so I was curious why it's so important to people now.

Maybe it's more important now because of usage, like you said. That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm not saying it's not necessary, I'm just curious why people are so into it when our ancestors didn't seem to be.

Your point about frequency of use is intriguing. Sometimes we think that knights fought constantly, but the reality is that in some eras/areas it was noteworthy if someone had fought in more than one great battle. For others, warfare and skirmishing was a closer to daily occurence. So perhaps swords then didn't go through the rigors people put them through now. I'm not sure about that, but it's an interesting point to ponder.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regardless of all this, let's not forget that some collectors and users of weapons desire something close to what history has left us in an attempt to learn insights on that historical object. Modern-made items are often better engineered, but this better engineering doesn't necessarily help in unraveling the historical significance of details surrounding these objects. Having said that, the better engineering does help in other areas for other purposes. And I believe this is what Chad is trying to determine: modern use and need vs. those things in a historical context. It's certainly an interesting notion well beyond the issue of dismountable hilts.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just making a general statement, it wasn't directed at you chad. Happy I know your statement wasn't that absolute.

For people searching for historical pieces, I do recommend peened tangs to my customers. However, for stage combat and martial arts use, I recommend a bolted tang (but a large diameter bolted tang) and I just wanted to give that side of sword use.

I know most people into historical swords and swordsmanship just blow off stage combat folks as silly people swinging SLOs around. However, there are alot of people, including myself, trying to better both the weapons and the choreography to make stage shows more historical. Big Grin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
I know most people into historical swords and swordsmanship just blow off stage combat folks as silly people swinging SLOs around. However, there are alot of people, including myself, trying to better both the weapons and the choreography to make stage shows more historical. Big Grin

One purpose of myArmoury.com is to stop people from blowing off other groups and to realize that everything has to be considered within its proper context. As an example, judging a very basic Oakeshott Type XV sword in the context of a hero's sword from a fantasy movie is likely going to be as unfruitful as judging Conan's sword in the context of historical parameters. Everything in its place, with a sprinkle of care to properly couch it, and we're all closer to informed discussion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
-

One thing people may be forgetting with peened tangs, even compression ones. Is that you can not grind the peen off, change the grip, and expect to replace a new grip with the same handle length. Your handle length will have to get shorter every time you grind off the peen, because there is not as much material on the end the tang anymore. So a simple repeening for a grip change isn't so simple.
-

True, but there are other options. In cases of compression fit, breaking off the grip should allow the pommel to drop down the tang enough to expose the full peen. You could then hammer or file the peen from the sides, leaving the length intact. Or, if you just want to inspect the tang and make a new grip you don't need to remove the pommel at all. Just fit the new sandwich-type grip tightly between pommel and cross and strike the peen a few times to make sure everything's tight.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, fitting a new sandwich type grip would be possible.

However, just to be devils advocate, if you remove the grip and slide the pommel down, and then file the peen flat, you are still removing material, and you would keep the peened tang the same lenght. However, when that tang was initially peened over, it was longer, now that is not as long, you would have to shorted up the grip to have enough material to peen over. Big Grin The only way around this is to completely reforge it or cold work it back to it's original size and lenght, which would be an aweful pain, but possible.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
Yes, fitting a new sandwich type grip would be possible.

However, just to be devils advocate, if you remove the grip and slide the pommel down, and then file the peen flat, you are still removing material, and you would keep the peened tang the same lenght. However, when that tang was initially peened over, it was longer, now that is not as long, you would have to shorted up the grip to have enough material to peen over. Big Grin The only way around this is to completely reforge it or cold work it back to it's original size and lenght, which would be an aweful pain, but possible.

The peen would have to be smaller, for sure. If the tang there is soft, it might be possible to strike it lightly with a hammer enough to narrow it sufficiently. Couldn't do much of that, though. Somebody could get away with this once or twice, but would then start paying a price in grip or blade length. Not really a viable method for those who like to regularly strip weapon.

-Sean

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Well I can only speak from my experience, such as it is. I train in a group about 2x a week, weather permitting. I always do some free play so my practice swords see what would have been considered very heavy use in period as far as I know. Both my swords are Albions. One is a Squire line Great Sword and the other the Leichteuaner. Of the two I've only had to re wrap the Squire line once, and that's with heavy use seeing as the squire has been in service for almost three years now. Neither show any signs of loosening at all, and that's with full contact drills and free play.

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I'd love to hear from more people who use their swords frequently about their experiences, too, especially people using brands other than Albion. I'd expect their stabilized wood grips would hold up better than regular old wood.

Happy

ChadA

Chris Fields

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use to use several Deltins quite frequently, and they all would loosen up after a few days of good heavy sword to sword contact. Sometimes they would hold for a few weeks, but that was rare. I always kept my ball peen hammer handy. These were early 90s deltin blades, not sure if the quality of his grips has improved, my guess would be that it has.

on a side note, something horrible happened to one of my favorite deltin's, one of the 2140. (I believe it was bought when museum reps carried alot of deltin's, that should date how old it was). Anyway, it was left at a friends house, and his little brother got a hold of it somehow. Needless to say, his little brother killed the sword. He and his friends played "sword fighting" and banged it edge to edge several times with a few SLOs, hit a couple of trees and few concrete walls, and then left it out in the back yard for over a week. It was found when my friend mowed his yard.... we were vary sad. I'll see if I can dig up the pics we took of it. It definitely looked more authentic after rusting so bad. (I live in Florida, it rained everyday the sword was outside)

I have also used a few blunts from a company called Arms and Armor Europe. I picked these up through the owner of by-the-sword, as he goes over to england and france often to pick up new swords to import into the us market. The swords were on the heavy side, but the tangs and hilts were built like Albions, though much stouter. One other touch they did after pressing the guard in place, was to silver soldier it as well. I don't know if or how that may helped, but the guard has never come loose in the 5 or 6 shows and several months of practice time I have used it for.

Other swords I have used that have a bolted tang are Lutel, triplette, Windlass, Lung Chuan, Huanuo and my own. neither the Lutels or my own have ever come loose during use unless we loose the pommel nut ourselves. I suspect this is because of the much larger diameter tang bolt. Not sure what types of wood Lutel and the others use. I use hickory, ash, teak, or walnut when I use wood. Honestly I use a thin wall stainless steel oval tube wrapped in leather most of the time in stage pieces. It allows me to keep the much tang wider, and the tubes fit very snugly over the tangs. So snug that you can remove the pommel and still use the sword for the most part. The stainless tube will never shrink or be compressed, or crack like wood, so that problem is also gone as well. Surprisingly, it does not carry vibration into the hand much more than the hickory handles, though I thought it would. I believe the leather dampens the vibration out. Contouring the stainless tubes is easy as well. People searching for more historical swords hate it though (if they know it's there, which they don't until I tell them), and thats why I do it both ways.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Del Tin 2142 got loose immediately, during the first bottles cutting, but I fixed it with a hammer and it is still tight after months of cutting.
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How is your 2142? It did seem like the initial peen on ours could of been better.

Cutting water bottles should never put enough stress on a piece to loosen it up, cutting mats shouldn't either. It's the sword to sword stuff thats the most harsh, especially when someone uses incorrect technique.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
How is your 2142? It did seem like the initial peen on ours could of been better.

Cutting water bottles should never put enough stress on a piece to loosen it up, cutting mats shouldn't either. It's the sword to sword stuff thats the most harsh, especially when someone uses incorrect technique.

Not entirely true. I've had Del Tins loosen simply from changes in humidity due to weather. I've also had them be solid until I've swung them through the air a few times, then they needed a light repeen. Any swinging will put stresses on the assembly that aren't there when it's still. The toughness of the target will add more, but just swinging it can be enough in some cases.

Del Tin's loosen for a few reasons: 1) there is sometimes a little extra space between the components that causes shifts and wear; 2) the hilt furniture (guard especially) settle in as the sword sees use; 3) Fulvio uses a wood that I've found to be very sensitive to humidity changes; it's also on the softer side.

Happy

ChadA

Chris Fields

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I know some Deltins do, however, I meant swords in general. A good piece should never loosen on a water bottle or mat. Big Grin

... not saying deltins are bad... because they are not bad at all. Happy
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:

After the repeening, I'm perfectly satisfied with the hilt construction, and the sword in general is in great shape, I'm really amazed with its durability. I'm just contemplating on shortening the grip a bit and putting on a brazil nut pommel to transform it into a big crusade era type sword. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dismountable hilts on Western swords
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: