Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > E.B Erickson forthcoming commission Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Author Message
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin


myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
I will send you a PM with the link that shows the dealer's listing. tr


You can post the link here for all of us should you wish Happy

I will PM you now, regardless, so I can see it!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
J Anstey





Joined: 21 Jul 2007

Posts: 233

PostPosted: Mon 21 Sep, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

THanks fellas,

And that was a great link!

Also interested in correct period scabbard and baldric?

Cheers

Jason
View user's profile Send private message
Thom R.




Location: Tucson
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Reading list: 30 books

Posts: 630

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a period appropriate sheath or scabbard would look something like the one attached (from J. Barrett)- it would have a frog, locket and chape. many of these had no wood, and the ones that did usually used very very thin wood cores. there are also a bunch of illustrations of mid-18th c scabbards in Neumann's book Swords and Blades of the American Revolution.

as for parts and pieces you have to search around but on Ebay I have bought period appropriate brass frogs from the folks at Smiling Fox Forge. You'll have to look around for the chape and locket. Maybe Lin Robinson can chime in with some advice as this is an area of interest for him as well. tr



 Attachment: 14.84 KB
scotsscabbard2.jpg

View user's profile Send private message
Edward Lovatt




Location: UK
Joined: 01 Aug 2009

Posts: 15

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your forth comming commision,

You have stired up quite a response from the community, I have an english basket hilt image from the royal armouries collection in leeds. it is very simple but highly typical of type. You might be intresred to know that a great many scots favoured this type over more traditional scottish arms as they were lighter and more robust.

I have just done some research and found my clan names sake the lovatt f/ frasers favoured this type but exapmpes of actual swords are impossible to locate.

How long have you been waiting for the comission as I have just contacted Ejay for a six year future date and yet to get a reply (but it is early days)

Hope image is of useand attached as itrs my first attempt on this site - let me know.

Ed



 Attachment: 12.45 KB
A5.931.jpg


with hope (spe)
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher Gregg




Location: Louisville, KY
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Reading list: 2 books

Posts: 672

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lovatt wrote:
Congratulations on your forth comming commision,

You have stired up quite a response from the community, I have an english basket hilt image from the royal armouries collection in leeds. it is very simple but highly typical of type. You might be intresred to know that a great many scots favoured this type over more traditional scottish arms as they were lighter and more robust.

I have just done some research and found my clan names sake the lovatt f/ frasers favoured this type but exapmpes of actual swords are impossible to locate.


Edward, I own a version of your sword, made by the Mad Piper. My pommel is conical, and the inner and outer guards are simply pierced with triangles and round holes, but other than that it's the same type. Also, Armour Class lists a very similar sword for around 210 UK pounds on their 17th century page (page 3, bottom sword), so they are available, if you're looking for a less expensive (and quicker to deliver) option to the excellent Eljay sword. But I'd still go ahead with the Eljay commission - his work is the very best! "sigh" perhaps someday!

Cheers,

Christopher Gregg

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
View user's profile Send private message
Ivan Kraljic




Location: Croatia
Joined: 17 Sep 2009

Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Niall O'Neill, 2nd Baron of Killeleagh, Lord Lt. of Ireland. Portrait ca. 1680. Killed at the battle of the Boyne, 1690.

In addition to many other items of interest here, the subject wears a baskethilt sword that Eljay could help pin down for you, stylistically. We've seen lots of 16th and 18th c. baskets from EBE. I'd love to see what he'd do with a fine hilt of 1650-1680.

If you can borrow a copy of the Mazansky book on baskethilt swords, that'll help you, but I think Eljay has that in his library.




I am no expert in history nor paintings but that cuirass on the left looks Japanese.

Can anyone explain?

Ivan
View user's profile Send private message
Thom R.




Location: Tucson
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Reading list: 30 books

Posts: 630

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ivan that portrait has been discussed many many times on mA before Big Grin

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=dart

tr
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Lovatt




Location: UK
Joined: 01 Aug 2009

Posts: 15

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Edward Lovatt wrote:
Congratulations on your forth comming commision,

You have stired up quite a response from the community, I have an english basket hilt image from the royal armouries collection in leeds. it is very simple but highly typical of type. You might be intresred to know that a great many scots favoured this type over more traditional scottish arms as they were lighter and more robust.

I have just done some research and found my clan names sake the lovatt f/ frasers favoured this type but exapmpes of actual swords are impossible to locate.


Edward, I own a version of your sword, made by the Mad Piper. My pommel is conical, and the inner and outer guards are simply pierced with triangles and round holes, but other than that it's the same type. Also, Armour Class lists a very similar sword for around 210 UK pounds on their 17th century page (page 3, bottom sword), so they are available, if you're looking for a less expensive (and quicker to deliver) option to the excellent Eljay sword. But I'd still go ahead with the Eljay commission - his work is the very best! "sigh" perhaps someday!

Cheers,

Christopher Gregg


Thank you for your reply Christopher.

I probably didnt phrase my question very well. I was after pictures of antique swords of the colloden battle period. I'm finding it hard to place a period sword with a given clan or actual person.

I'm interested in scottish jacobite basket hilts that may have been used by the Lovatt Fraser clan. cheers Ed

with hope (spe)
View user's profile Send private message
J Anstey





Joined: 21 Jul 2007

Posts: 233

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lovatt wrote:
Congratulations on your forth comming commision,

How long have you been waiting for the comission as I have just contacted Ejay for a six year future date and yet to get a reply (but it is early days)

Hope image is of useand attached as itrs my first attempt on this site - let me know.

Ed


Hi Ed,

I think the wait was 2 years when I got in, but as with many sought after craftsmen the wait increase with demand, I don't think ElJay does this full time, I gather does his craft passionately so these thinks cant be rushed. I also think his prices are quite reasonable for the level of work he does.

In regards to response times to emails - don't be worried I am sure he will get back to you - in fact he PM'd me saying we were getting closer to start time and we should firm up the type of baskethilt I wanted. To this I asked him to recommend something that HE would like to make. He gave me a few suggestions with estimates on how much the reproduction would cost. I chose the most complex one he liked so I think we have a good match.

THom,

THanks for the pic of the scabbard!!! You don't perchance have any others or ones that show the chape?

I don't have the Neuman book. I have Mazansky but am a little disappointed that they show only the hilts - It is a great book but possibly should be called "British Basket - Hilted Sword Hilts" Rather than "...swords" Wink

THanks again to all that have replied. It's kind of like going on a big holiday - half the fun is in planing and talking about it! Happy

Jason
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Lovatt




Location: UK
Joined: 01 Aug 2009

Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Anstey wrote:
Edward Lovatt wrote:
Congratulations on your forth comming commision,

How long have you been waiting for the comission as I have just contacted Ejay for a six year future date and yet to get a reply (but it is early days)

Hope image is of useand attached as itrs my first attempt on this site - let me know.

Ed


Hi Ed,

I think the wait was 2 years when I got in, but as with many sought after craftsmen the wait increase with demand, I don't think ElJay does this full time, I gather does his craft passionately so these thinks cant be rushed. I also think his prices are quite reasonable for the level of work he does.

In regards to response times to emails - don't be worried I am sure he will get back to you - in fact he PM'd me saying we were getting closer to start time and we should firm up the type of baskethilt I wanted. To this I asked him to recommend something that HE would like to make. He gave me a few suggestions with estimates on how much the reproduction would cost. I chose the most complex one he liked so I think we have a good match.

THom,

THanks for the pic of the scabbard!!! You don't perchance have any others or ones that show the chape?

I don't have the Neuman book. I have Mazansky but am a little disappointed that they show only the hilts - It is a great book but possibly should be called "British Basket - Hilted Sword Hilts" Rather than "...swords" Wink

THanks again to all that have replied. It's kind of like going on a big holiday - half the fun is in planing and talking about it! Happy

Jason


Anstey,

Eljay just PM`d me to say he found my project both worthwhile and exciting, he has placed me on the 2013-2014 work book list and congratulated me on my forward planning. now I know how you feel it really is like a holiday with all the ideas buzzing in your head and long term planning.

I don`t think this forum will help with my ideas in same way they did with you. I need to contact clans and specialist scottish web sites, even historic organizations. I have good contacts at edinburgh castle and the royal armouries in Leeds. My research will be long hard and great fun. Six years is a long time but I think I will need it find what I`m looking for. Even if I don`t it will be fun trying.

Thanks for your reply and encouraging comments.

Good look with your commission and be sure to post images of the final sword - looking forward to seeing it. Mine will be some 4 years or 3 times longer in the making but as we are creating a family heirloom to pass down the generations, very much worth it.

Kindest regards

Ed

with hope (spe)
View user's profile Send private message
J Anstey





Joined: 21 Jul 2007

Posts: 233

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sounds awesome Ed.

I hope you post some of your findings along the journey.

Cheers

Jason
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Lovatt




Location: UK
Joined: 01 Aug 2009

Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason,

If I find anything I sure will - but don`t hold your breath this is a six year voyage into the unknow.

Cheers.

Ed

with hope (spe)
View user's profile Send private message
J Anstey





Joined: 21 Jul 2007

Posts: 233

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All

I received this wonderful hilt a few months back now, here are the pics. Unfortunately work has taken a turn for the worse so it will be listed shortly for sale Mad







Eljay is an amazing craftsman/artist and is deserving of his reputation.
View user's profile Send private message
Jimi Edmonds




Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined: 25 May 2009
Likes: 8 pages

Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't do it! sell something else, else you sell everything and still gain nothing...there will always be bills!
View user's profile Send private message
J Anstey





Joined: 21 Jul 2007

Posts: 233

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jimi

Yeah, I know I will regret it down the track. Cry but looks like it is sold pending funds anyway and I am sure it is going to a great home.
View user's profile Send private message
Justin H. Nez




Location: Hyde Park, UT
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 142

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jimi Edmonds wrote:
Don't do it! sell something else, else you sell everything and still gain nothing...there will always be bills!



Sell the bills keep the sword!! Eek!

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
View user's profile Send private message
J Anstey





Joined: 21 Jul 2007

Posts: 233

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin H. Nez wrote:
Jimi Edmonds wrote:
Don't do it! sell something else, else you sell everything and still gain nothing...there will always be bills!



Sell the bills keep the sword!! Eek!


I like that concept Big Grin
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > E.B Erickson forthcoming commission
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2020 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum