Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying an old ATrim sword: AT1543? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Identifying an old ATrim sword: AT1543?         Reply with quote

I have an old ATrim sword. I don't know what model it is.

Straight cross with down-curved ends, wheel pommel, leather grip with riser at pommel and guard, slightly blued fittings.

It's probably closest to a Type XVIII or XVa...

Does this look like a AT1543 to you? That's what I have written down for it, but I can't find that model anywhere for reference.

Attachment: 10.43 KB
atrim-sword.jpg

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, so another approach: if anybody owns an AT1543 can you please supply some basic measurements so I can compare?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I.... wish I owned one... sorry

I should rephrase that... I want to make my own like that... and I will soon... =)
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I remember correctly All Saints use to sell the 1543 though I can't remember who the owner was, maybe you can track him down and see if he has some stats. You might want to contact Christian Fletcher. That is definately one of his guards on the sword. Maybe he kept some stats.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Hemmingway was the first All Saints proprieter. There was a sever up with images until a couple three years ago and then Poof! it was gone. Now I'm trying to remember who asked if it was ok to download all the pages. Maybe it was PK Hansen, often on the Schola board. Since the recent server move at SFI, the old store images are not currently linked either.

Ken Jay is the other name that comes to mind as another Atrim librarian.

Cheers

GC

I'll check out another angle on this too
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the insight. I didn't realize this was a CF-modified piece. I bought it secondhand and can't remember from whom. The grip is nicely done so I figured that was an upgrade but didn't realize the guard was too. Is it the ecussion that is the giveaway or that and the curved ends? All in all, it's a nice sword. i like the blade geometry.. it's a bit lightweight but that's by design I'm sure.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus was machining these guards as shown and I believe it was one of the Blacksmith bros who was hooked up for the darkening. They were options on the All Saints side bar at the time. Some compound hilted stuff was routing through Christian but being ordered there.

I'm still looking, I had the number sideways on my last jaunt but still didn't see this blade. (Direct, Swords, ASA etc)

This does have that old blocky point though and the hilt isn't as black as my All Saints piece, mebbe it really was an earlier one through Christian. That would put the blade pre phat basterd, his penultimate XVIIIa.

Cheers

GC
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilt components have a cold blue on them that could be polished off rather than the oxide finish on the really, really black stuff seen on some swords. It might have been done by the original owner for all I know, really...

This one has been a fun one to use for cutting.

Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thank you guys for the insight. I didn't realize this was a CF-modified piece. I bought it secondhand and can't remember from whom. The grip is nicely done so I figured that was an upgrade but didn't realize the guard was too. Is it the ecussion that is the giveaway or that and the curved ends? All in all, it's a nice sword. i like the blade geometry.. it's a bit lightweight but that's by design I'm sure.

http://www.myArmoury.com/desktop_cfatrim.html Big Grin
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, I ran the numbers in a search at SFI and there is only one fuzzy bare blade picture with no stats but I think you have the number right. Josh did have Cristian do one up in oxblood and there was some interest in more. He never had a pitcture of the upgrade on the All Saints site (but I do remamber those guards). taking a better look at your picture and it isn't as blocky a point as I first thought. There were just 25 hits for that number in a general search. Maybe six threads with any mention of the sword.

All the players are still around but they are kind of silent these days. Christian apparently did have 1543 pictures at one point.

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another person you might try is Russ Ellis. He seems to log every piece that comes through Tritonworks.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
http://www.myArmoury.com/desktop_cfatrim.html Big Grin

I don't know if that's the same type of sword, though. That's where I got the AT1543 moniker. Not sure if this simpler sword is also a 1543.

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the grip on my All Saints sword, the night it arrived. I can't make out the risers on your sword too well. this one was an oddball 1319 with an eight inch.

Russ had been offering bluing and grip work but I am not remembering the look (without looking)

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying an old ATrim sword: AT1543?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic