Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Freak out - My first Albion! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah well my first sword was a kirby wise sword...16 weeks is cakewalk Happy .
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Gregory! I'm sure you'll be very happy with her. You're starting on a much higher level than I did. I came into the sword world when MRL was the epitome of production sword greatness, about the time they switched from Del Tin to Windlass. So enjoy! An Albion may seem expensive, but that is the sort of thing you can be just as happy with twenty years from now. A few weeks on beans and rice is a small price to pay. Wink
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In a way I'm envious of you folks who are jumping up to Albions at the age of 19. Wow. It took me about 20 years of sword collecting to make that step.
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Talking about starting right. My first sword was a cheap Kat from a store on Broadway when I was 17. I didn't get my first Albion until I was 30 and it was a growing interest in WMA that sparked that purchase.
Winter is coming
J. Erb

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In a way I'm envious of you folks who are jumping up to Albions at the age of 19. Wow. It took me about 20 years of sword collecting to make that step.

I think of it less as jumping up, and more as buying quality -- or, to put it another way, you get what you pay for. Wink I usually don't spend too much money on a day-to-day basis, so when I do make a significant purchase, I prefer to just spend more and get something that's worth the buying. Since I'm primarily what you would call an "armchair" sword enthusiast, I can only forsee myself acquiring a handful of swords, and I'd rather go for straight for quality. Big Grin

"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well 20 or 30 years ago the choices where just not there or very few or not well known before the internet.

Today one can go for bad swords, not so bad swords, guilty pleasure swords ( Nice designs with bad materials or ugly designs but well made ), decent mid range swords, high end production swords, almost custom small volume production swords and full customs work going from moderately expensive to reallly really expensive custom swords ( Usually with very long wait times unless bought in stock ....... if one can find them in stock ! Wink Laughing Out Loud

Oh, and marketplace swords here or on other sites that can be great bargains with NO waiting for it to be made.

Well, one can add real period originals but I was just thinking of modern made sword above. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Freak out - My first Albion!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: