Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Italian Falchion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Italian Falchion         Reply with quote

Located a t LionGate Arms & Armour

http://www.antiqueswords.com/ew134.htm

-- Carl Croushore
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian Falchion         Reply with quote

Carl Croushore wrote:
Located a t LionGate Arms & Armour

http://www.antiqueswords.com/ew134.htm

What about it? I want topics on our forum to be discussions.. and rich ones, at that.. lots of other forums on the 'net have people posting one and two-line little posts. I don't see a lot of value to that...

Carl: How did this catch your eye? Do you know of other examples that are similar? Are you intrigued by a particular feature of this piece? Can you tell us some history of this type of weapon that you've found elsewhere? Can you contrast it with other pieces or types of swords? Are you potentially buying it and would like to inquire as to the value of it? Etc. Etc.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quite right Nathan. To expound...

I was first attracted to the sword by the pommel shape. I thought it unusual to find an asymmetrical pommel, and was intrigued. Upon inspecting the close-ups of the design, I began to wonder if the pommel at some point were damaged by a strike or some similar occurance, then smoothed in it's remaining shape, rather than replaced as a whole. I also found the lion head engraving to be a nice piece of understated elegance.

The S guard hilt accompanied by the guard is a very functional design, and with the shape of the pommel, whether intentional or no, gives the silhouette of the falchion an overall uniformity of design, fitting well with the shell shape of the guard.

The blade gave me the impression of easy handling -- of solid presence but balanced. I realize this is impossible to surmise fully unless the sword is held, but the lines of the design suggest it to me. Hazarding a guess, I'd put the POB at 3-4 inches from the hand, and the COP 16-17 inches from the hilt.

As for purchasing the sword myself, I can't unless the lottery gods grace me with their divine lightning. And as i don't play the lottery...

Hope that was a little more personally informative. Big Grin

-- Carl Croushore

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Italian Falchion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic