Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > attachments for 14th-15th Cent. armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Cowan

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: attachments for 14th-15th Cent. armour         Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions about attaching armour plate.
1. would points be attached from spaulders and the revebrace to a full mail shirt or the aketon underneath?
2. what is the name of the pin at the top of the greaves used for alining it to the bottom of the poleyn and would it
be on late 14th cent armour?
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: attachments for 14th-15th Cent. armour         Reply with quote

Peter Cowan wrote:
I have a couple of questions about attaching armour plate.
1. would points be attached from spaulders and the revebrace to a full mail shirt or the aketon underneath?

I think the simple answer here is 'yes' - I think you can find examples or at least reasons to speculate either.

Personally, I have found it more reasonable to point the armour directly to an arming coat / gambeson (which is usually better tailored to your body than your maille). Additionally, there was an italian fashion (portrayed in art of the early 15th C) to wear the arms under the sleeves of a short-sleeved maille haubergeon. So pointing to the maille isn't an option.

Peter Cowan wrote:

2. what is the name of the pin at the top of the greaves used for alining it to the bottom of the poleyn and would it
be on late 14th cent armour?

As far as I am aware it has no specific name. As for it being on late 14th C pieces (say 1390-1400), it is possible though not common as far as I am aware (not really an expert though - I think relatively few surviving pieces actually have the pins or holes for pins).

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > attachments for 14th-15th Cent. armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic