Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Finishing wooden weapon parts in the middle ages Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Finishing wooden weapon parts in the middle ages         Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering, aside from boiled linseed oil, and perhaps painting, how exposed wooden weapon parts (handles basically) were finished? Did they use stains? Varnishes? I'm betting that it's really hard to say for sure, but I'm wondering if there isn't some evidence for them doing certain things in particular.

I also wonder if they wouldn't stain things to get something to look like something else. For example, if ebony wasn't available or affordable, would they use something to darken some wood to look like it (surely they would?) and, if so, what methods/materials would have been available?

Thanks!

Dan
Andrew V

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Inlay, overlay, wrapping, ebonising, natural stains and dyes, oil-based stains and paint, all manner of wax finishes, even varnishes
If your afraid to ask, you'll never learn
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, they seemingly could do it all! So I guess just about anything could potentially be period correct...? Interesting!

Thanks for the info!
Andrew V

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You don’t specify which part of the medieval period. By late gothic/early modern anything goes. My favourite 15th century crossbow is ebonised fruitwood stock with baleen inlays, while at least one royal Mid 15th century crossbow used carved and painted antler inlays with engraved lines filled with black mastic. IAs a sort of guide, if artists were painting with it, and people were dyeing cloth with it, woodworkers would also be using it, I can’t see anyone arguing against stains and ebonising throughout the medieval
If your afraid to ask, you'll never learn
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew V wrote:
You don’t specify which part of the medieval period. By late gothic/early modern anything goes. My favourite 15th century crossbow is ebonised fruitwood stock with baleen inlays, while at least one royal Mid 15th century crossbow used carved and painted antler inlays with engraved lines filled with black mastic. IAs a sort of guide, if artists were painting with it, and people were dyeing cloth with it, woodworkers would also be using it, I can’t see anyone arguing against stains and ebonising throughout the medieval

Ah! The classic mistake! Yeah I meant later (15th century). Thanks!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Finishing wooden weapon parts in the middle ages
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic