Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Daggers in your collection Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Daggers in your collection         Reply with quote

Swords get a lot of press around here, but daggers are essential items for most collectors. I thought a new thread for people to showcase the daggers from their collections would be fun. We have a "Your last sword" thread, but here you can show off any and all daggers from your collection you think people might want to see.

Groups shots of all the daggers in your collection would be great, but individual shots are welcome, too.

People have already seen my dagger collection, but here it is again to kick the thread off:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have several daggers but this rondel is the only one that I help build. I did the bronze rondels and provided the blade. A friend of mine made the cocobolo handle.

The blade is 5160 at R50 or so and is 12" long.
I've carried this guy for a long time.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Only two daggers in my lot...

Windlass Scottish dagger...companion to my Scottish back-sword formely owned by our man Nathan..

&

a custom stiletto by KBW - Knives by Will.....

Attachment: 12.37 KB
KBW Stiletto dagger.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i don't have many daggers, but the last one I bought was a 17th century replica Del Tin 2175 (photo from Albion)

Attachment: 47.69 KB
dt2175-a.jpg
DT2175
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
i don't have many daggers, but the last one I bought was a 17th century replica Del Tin 2175 (photo from Albion)

I've always thought that one was cool. Do you have pictures of your other daggers? This thread is not limited just to your last/latest.

Happy

ChadA

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

I've always thought that one was cool. Do you have pictures of your other daggers? This thread is not limited just to your last/latest.

I have a few MRL daggers (models dropped and out of the catalog) that I've used for stage work. Other than those, the only other dagger I own is the A&A classic medieval dagger - http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg058.html
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a few I made myself. There's something very satisfying about making a dagger, possibly because it's not too big a project and daggers are such 'personal' weapons/tools that you can put a lot of yourself into them.

Attachment: 26.97 KB
Yew-wood Dagger 2.JPG

Attachment: 29.7 KB
Bollock Dagger (Lacewood) 2.JPG

Attachment: 29.63 KB
Misericordia 1.JPG

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

I have a few MRL daggers (models dropped and out of the catalog) that I've used for stage work. Other than those, the only other dagger I own is the A&A classic medieval dagger - http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg058.html

The A&A classic dagger is a good one. I kind of have one. Happy The second dagger from the top in my pics above was once a bronze-hilted A&A classic dagger. I then had the guard changed to the straight Crusader guard. Then I re-wrapped the grip with cord and leather. I like the end result.

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julian Reynolds wrote:
Here's a few I made myself. There's something very satisfying about making a dagger, possibly because it's not too big a project and daggers are such 'personal' weapons/tools that you can put a lot of yourself into them.

Julian,
Those are pretty nice. What kind of steel and wood are they?

Happy

ChadA

Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a Scramasax from Hanwei / Paul Chen's factory. I've had it a few years. It's got a very nice blade-heavy feel to it. The scabard is fairly heavy leather.

This one is not really historically accurate... it was custom made for me by a local smith. I'm very fond of two very different cultures -- Celtic / Viking / Norse, and Japanese. It is pattern welded, forged in a Norse / Viking style but the blade shape of course is a Tanto. After receiving the bare blade, I finished the knife myself. The handle, scabard, and habaki were all self-made, the tsuba is an antique from Japan.

A couple more pictures of these two are in the Gallery.

-Stephanie
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: My "short" blades         Reply with quote

These are some of my "short" blades including all of my more recent ones and some old fav's. I also have some utility type knives, bowies, and sgians that are more in the category of working knives but these are my show and tell minus a couple of antiques. Sorry for bad photo quality - indoor lighting without the flash

Starting at the top
1. Pillow or scarf sword, early 18th c., hollow ground (both sides) single edged blade 22 inches. The kind of blade a coachman might hide around his person while driving at night. Interesting blade - very baroque in style - have never seen another one like it. Cut and thrust
2. Hunting dagger/sword, early 18th c., English, Silver mounts, double edged hollow ground blade 21 inches. One of my all time favorites. Wish it was in better shape. Beautiful hollow grinding. quillons are dogs. Ebony handle.
3. Short sword, Austrian, early 19th c. double edged, 18 inches. Interesting brass on this - very light in color (high in tin). Probably made that way due to shortages of material in wartime. If I had to grab a short blade to defend myself this would be it.
4. Kukri, Mark III 1944. Personally, I would not want to mess with someone who had this in hand and knew how to use it.
5. Malay dagger/knife, old damascus, horn hilt, probably early 20th c. or late 19th c. Neat blade, found it in Singapore years ago
6. Reproduction hanger, Dan Graves. Modern random damascus. 18 inches. Filework on top. Almost too beautiful to cut with. (not)
7. Serpent in the steel #9, J Arthur Loose. Integral guard. One piece of steel folded into shape. Amazing work that guy does!
8. Reproduction Jacobite Dirk, Michael Tinker Pearce. Based on 'Swords and the Sorrows' 2:6.
9. Reproduction Dirk, Glenn McClain. Based on Neumann #25K (thanks Chris!)
10. Tibetan or Bhutanese dagger, single edged, early-mid 20th c. Nice silver mounts. Hairpin folding.
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my collection (or all but two of them). Some are recognizible, some more obscure. See if you can ID them all!

Attachment: 64.66 KB
100_1492.JPG

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
Here is my collection (or all but two of them). Some are recognizible, some more obscure. See if you can ID them all!

Not sure about the top two, the bottom 3 on the left are probably Hrisoulas pieces, the bottom 2 definitely are. On the right it looks like 3 arms and armor pieces (gustav, medieval knife, italian stilleto) and the bottom one I'm not sure of but guessing MRL?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

Unfortunately, I don't make the blades myself (I wish I had a forge!). I tend to buy in blanks or recycle old blades and grind them to suit my purposes. The top dagger has a Yew wood handle and sheath and an old FS blade. The bollock dagger has a 10" blade from a French maker, with a Lacewood grip. The 14" Misericordia is the top half of a blade from an old (repro) rapier (the bottom half of which I used to make a parrying dagger for WMA). The grip is Lacewood.

Below is another dagger I made using an old FS blade that I cleaned up. The handle and sheath are Laburnum. I love working in nicely figured wood, as my main hobby is Mediaeval decorative woodcarving (see Green Man below - sorry, it's off-topic).

I also pick up the odd interesting piece that catches my eye, such as the antique stylet dagger.

Attachment: 25.39 KB
Laburnumwood Dagger 2.JPG

Attachment: 139.8 KB
Green Man (Ash).jpg

Attachment: 18.72 KB
Stylet Dagger 1.jpg

Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could add to this thread but most of the daggers I have owned are ones that I have made, and all have been sold and are therefore no longer in my collection. Being a part-time custom maker I'm not sure if it would be considered a plug to post pictures of them to begin with. In any event this thread is an interesting one to me, I would love to see more of what folks have been collecting in the way of daggers. Thanks to those who have shared!
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
C. Gadda wrote:

Not sure about the top two, the bottom 3 on the left are probably Hrisoulas pieces, the bottom 2 definitely are. On the right it looks like 3 arms and armor pieces (gustav, medieval knife, italian stilleto) and the bottom one I'm not sure of but guessing MRL?

Pretty much correct throughout! Some of the highlights:

- The Hrisoulas piece you were unsure of is one of his cable welded jobs. Got it for a relative pittance off of eBay awhile ago. Its not my favorite, but it is very interesting.

- The Gustav parrying dagger is actually a semi-custom piece that I got just a few months ago. I had the folks at A&A use the Gustav hilt with the blade from the Elector of Saxony, which is a little shorter and broader than the stock Gustav. I really like the look better.

- The bottom right stiletto is indeed and old MRL piece, made in the US. The detail is not as good as the A&A stiletto, but it is still very nice.

- The top left piece is an old MRL Pugio. I am uncertain as to the maker - the catalogue claims the blade is made in Italy, but I do not see any Del Tin markings on it. It was hilted and provided with a scabbard in the MRL shop. Ah, the good old days before Windlass bought them up...

- The top right piece is rather unique. It started as a Steven Moffat job that I purchased second hand on eBay (along with a Gustav Vasa rapier, hence the need for me to order the parrying dagger from A&A!) but ended up being somewhat extensively refitted by myself. When I got it, I dismounted it to inspect and clean. In so doing I discovered that the blade had a crack in it. I mulled making a new blade, but in the interest of time ended up modifying a Windlass dagger blade (I had gotten it cheap on eBay) to fit the scabbard and to a lesser degree the existing fittings. The hilt is mostly the same, but I added the walnut spacer and had to replace one of the sandwich plates - it originally had a nice top plate with an etched or engraved design. But when I went to fire blacken what I thought was a steel plate it literally melted before my eyes - it was PEWTER!!! (missed the staff meeting on that one, I guess). No biggie, just wish I'd known that before I set to work.

Last edited by C. Gadda on Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
- The top right piece is rather unique. It started as a Randal Moffat job that I purchased second hand on eBay

It looks like a Steve Moffatt piece...

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
Some daggers from around the world.
1) Silver mounted and ivory handled Dha Hmyaung of the Shan people of Burma.
2) Persian dress dagger with gold washed blade, latter part of the 19th Century.
3) Inlaid bone handled dagger from the Surmene area on the Black Sea.
4) Full tang bone handled dagger probably 19th Century Khyber region.
5) Horn handled long dagger or short sword from the Surmene region on the Black Sea dated 1910.
Regards,
Norman.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:

Pretty much correct throughout!

Cool! Of course that just means I've spent to much time staring at works by various makers. Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
C. Gadda wrote:
- The top right piece is rather unique. It started as a Randal Moffat job that I purchased second hand on eBay

It looks like a Steve Moffatt piece...

Apologies - Nathan is absolutely right, this is by Steven Moffat. I had no idea there were two separate individuals with the same uncommon last name. I had seen Randal posting quite a bit over the last several months or so and his name became stuck in my mind.

Sorry for the confusion. I've edited my original post to have the correct attribution.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Daggers in your collection
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: