Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How quickly did armor styles change? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well here is a place you can get a breast/back plate or a plackard for just a bit over $250 in munitions quality, I have both and I am happy with them as they are functional armour and Allan has some of the best customer service one can find:
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/index.php?c...f8hhd12aa1

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam H. wrote:
I would like to say that I am going for something of a middle class character, but I'm not sure if that even existed back then with the feudal system.

The armors in the picture you've put up are from the 15th century, and by that time Europe certainly had a middle class of sorts--a fairly large one, in fact. Most of the English longbowmen that participated in the Hundred Years' War, the Wars of the Roses, and some of the Franco-Burgundian Wars largely came from the rural middle classes (the yeomanry) and probably some urban sources as well (mostly middle-class artisans and craftsfolk). The archers recruited into the French and Burgundian Ordonnance companies might have relied upon the middle classes as one of the principal sources for their personnel, too, though I'm rather less sure about that. So yes, there was a middle class, and such a background would have fitted perfectly with the archer figure you've chosen to replicate in your kit.

A couple of notes I'd like to add: you could and probably should go without the full leg protection shown in the picture; unarmored or partially armored legs would be a much more plausible choice, since (if I remember correctly) a full leg harness was fairly rare among archers. It might be a good idea to keep the spurs, since--as everybody else have said--an armored archer at the time was very likely to have been a mounted infantryman. Last but not least, an archer with your kind of kit would have been expected to do more than "skirmish;" the English longbowmen habitually involved themselves in intense hand-to-hand combat, especially when the men-at-arms needed their help to shore up the defenses or put some additional mass into a charge. So the sword is a must-have, and better still if you can find a matching buckler because the longbowmen were particularly known for their prowess with sword and buckler--except if you're trying to make a French or Burgundian impression, in which case a longsword would fit the bill.
Adam H.

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.reliquary.co.uk/brig/image/image2/IMG_0400.jpg

THIS IS IT! That's what I am after! Can anybody point me in the direction of somebody selling one of these for $300 or less, I'll be set! =D

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How quickly did armor styles change?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: