Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Footmans harness vs horseman's harness? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
George Hill

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Footmans harness vs horseman's harness?         Reply with quote

I was telling a friend about armor recently, a completel newcomer to the topic, and I may have over extended my knowledge. As I would hate to create one of those damned rumors that seem to make sence but are abjectly false, (Like the ones about 'blood groves') I thought I would place this before the group, and see what they had to say.

In short, I've noticed that historical harness have two primary designs between the breastplate and the legs. (If anyone knows of more please speak up.)

The two styles are as follows. One relies on a great many faulds, and covers the wearer to significantly below the groin,
Such as in this image of Saint George. http://forum.milua.org/files/ukrainian_knights2_70.jpg (Sorry, I'm having trouble finding images of this, appearently less popular style.)

Here is what I beleive is a modern reproduction of this style.
http://p7.hostingprod.com/@illusionarmoring.com/14th.html

and the other has fewer faulds, significant tassets (Articulated tassets or not,) and more or less exposes the groin.

Something like this.
http://p7.hostingprod.com/@illusionarmoring.com/bgsuit.htm

Now, I have always thought that the first style, where the faulds come down further, is intended primary for use on foot, as it seems it would be harder to sit the horse with these faulds, though of course I imagine they could be adjusted to telescope or some such, whereas the second style was intended more for the horseman, as it would be somewhat less protective, (though one would certainly add a skirt of mail to help it out.)

Now, does my understanding hold water, or am I overlooking something vital? For all I know both work fine on horseback, are merely stylistic differences, and I lack some peice of information.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
George Hill

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, please note I do NOT refer to the 'tonlet' harness, such as the one shown here, (bottom of page)
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_ana_charlesv.html as it is (Or so I understand) strictly tourniment armor. That said, the idea seems to be quite similar.

Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi George,

I know that looks like a reasonable assumption, but it just doesn't hold up. Take for example the harness made by Robert MacPherson for Tobias Capwell in the attached picture: I assure you the fauld extends *way* down like the first example you gave. As it happens, I was in Mac's shop several times while he was building this harness and we discussed it quite a bit. Toby intended to use this harness for jousting (in fact, Mac made him a saddle at the same time and Toby used both for jousting), so he had to be able to ride in it. The culet (back fauld) seems like an even worse fit for the saddle, actually. In practice, however, Toby could ride in it with no difficulty: Mac says the lames of the fauld just scrunch up a little bit (remember, in that kind of a saddle you're more standing than sitting anyway). So you can ride perfectly well in this harness.

Note, too, that in the example you gave of the long fauld the fauld is cut away in the middle: This is to make it fit over the saddle better. So this harness is *definitely* intended for mounted as well as foot combat (note the saint's destrier behind him).

I think what it comes down to is that the English simply liked this kind of harness. Yes, they had more of a habit of fighting afoot than other cultures, but frankly all of them fought on foot a lot, too (much more than most people, who see men at arms as primarily cavalry, realize), just as all of them including the English did things on horseback (e.g., jousting).

Attachment: 93.33 KB
Tobias Capwell's Harness [ Download ]

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I apologize for any amature like questions, I just don't know.

Quote:
Now, I have always thought that the first style, where the faulds come down further, is intended primary for use on foot, as it seems it would be harder to sit the horse with these faulds, though of course I imagine they could be adjusted to telescope or some such, whereas the second style was intended more for the horseman, as it would be somewhat less protective, (though one would certainly add a skirt of mail to help it out.)

Concerning the faulds; Where as the faulds are open or on a harness where there are no faulds, was chain maiile always worn to protect the groin/pelvic area?

I am asking with concerns that... As I am finishing my chain maille, I can extent half sleeves to full sleeves or I can extend the body down to a skirt length to cover this open area. Having little knowledge of the subject regarding history, If I do extend the arms and leave the chain maille at a shirts length, when I buy a harness would the recomendation be to buy a harness with faulds?

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
I apologize for any amature like questions, I just don't know.

Quote:

Concerning the faulds; Where as the faulds are open or on a harness where there are no faulds, was chain maiile always worn to protect the groin/pelvic area?

I am asking with concerns that... As I am finishing my chain maille, I can extent half sleeves to full sleeves or I can extend the body down to a skirt length to cover this open area. Having little knowledge of the subject regarding history, If I do extend the arms and leave the chain maille at a shirts length, when I buy a harness would the recomendation be to buy a harness with faulds?

Mail (not "chain maille"--that's a Victorian abomination caused by misunderstanding medieval art) was usually worn under armor, but in various configurations. How you'd wear it depends on the harness you're designing. Transitional harnesses (i.e., those from the 14th century, to paint it with a broad stroke) would be most likely to be worn over either a hauberk of mail (in the early part of the century) or an haubergeon of mail (in the latter part).

By the Age of Plate (very late 14th century onward) wearing a full haubergeon under your breastplate would be fairly uncommon, the more so as the period progressed (of course, common soldiers would wear haubergeons under their jacks, brigs, etc., for the entire period; I'm speaking here only of full plate harnesses since I think that's what you're asking about), but certainly not unknown, especially in the first quarter of the 15th century. More commonly, men at arms would wear "voiders" or small patches of mail pointed to their arming doublets to cover the parts of their bodies not well covered by plate (e.g., the armpits and insides fo the elbows). Some wore partial shirts that covered just the upper arm and chest so they *looked* as though a full haubergeon was being worn, but they'd only reach to just under the armpits. This substantially reduced the weight of the harness.

In either case, however, the groin would be protected by either a mail skirt pointed to the arming doublet or by a pair of mail shorts (or, less commonly, both). These shorts seem to have been most popular in Germany and consisted of what looked like short pants but the front was open; there was a flap of mail that hung down behind and was pulled up between the legs and attached in front over the groin.

I will attach a picture of a scene from an Italian MS showing a man at arms donning a partial shirt (you can see he's already wearing his mail skirt) and a picture from an amazing 15th-century document entitled "How a man shall be armed" that clearly shows voiders and a mail skirt pointed to his arming doublet.

I don't have a great picture of the mail shorts anywhere, but in this picture you can sort of see them:
http://base.kb.dk/pls/hsk_web/hsk_vis.side?p_...p_lang=eng

Of course, there were variations on these themes: I have pictures that seem to show a double skirt of mail under the breastplate, suggesting a mail skirt worn under an haubergeon (often in Itlaian sources), and others that seem to show mail shorts being worn under an haubergeon or mail skirt (in the Paulus Kal Fechtbuch, for example) and still others that show no mail protecting the groin at all:
http://base.kb.dk/pls/hsk_web/hsk_vis.side?p_...p_lang=eng

The bottom line is that it depends upon the date, region and type of harness. I hope that helps.

Attachment: 131.25 KB
How Armed.gif
How a man shall be armed

Attachment: 26.68 KB
Italian Shrug.jpg
A short shirt

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It wold seem that having faulds that extended to mid thigh was quite common even for mounted knights in the late 14th c, though these where covered by surcotes. However. the fact that they have their sword belts tightened around the tighs indicate that there is plate underneath...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So with all those faulds over one's posterior, how does one achieve a proper weld between the rider's buttocks, and the rear shelf of the saddle?
Kelly Powell

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. VaugnStrever: Hey man, you do not need to apologize for asking a question.....Your's was definatley NOT stupid.....You were using the empiracal method....you observed and made a hypothesis based on your observations and the knowledge you have aquired.......And your questions have caused commentary and discussion....Good job Big Grin
I would imagine that the faulds would fold up and "fan in" a smidge.......I do not believe you would be sitting on them...they would ride up someand maybe be uncomfortable nesting between the small of your back and the back of the high saddle......But if you were not in battle a lot of guys would wear scaled down armor(I hope I'm right about that, would not want to reinforce a urban myth!) for less strenuous ramblings.
Here is a question about foot man vs horsemen armor....1: Was or was not the leg articulation reversed for a horseman vs a footman? wasn't a cav guys articulation going upwards to keep a foot guys spears and such from going in between the lames?
2: did not they have the equivilent of a cup as added groin protection? Either boiled leather or metal......Something stouter then the average "cod piece".
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kelly Powell wrote:
I would imagine that the faulds would fold up and "fan in" a smidge.......I do not believe you would be sitting on them...they would ride up someand maybe be uncomfortable nesting between the small of your back and the back of the high saddle......But if you were not in battle a lot of guys would wear scaled down armor(I hope I'm right about that, would not want to reinforce a urban myth!) for less strenuous ramblings.

Sometimes in sieges men at arms wore lighter harnesses; for example, kettle hats instead of closed helmets. And in lethal fights on foot visors were often left off, whereas they would be worn in friendly fights. I'm not sure that's what you're saying here, however.

Quote:
Here is a question about foot man vs horsemen armor....1: Was or was not the leg articulation reversed for a horseman vs a footman? wasn't a cav guys articulation going upwards to keep a foot guys spears and such from going in between the lames?

Horsemen *were* footmen. Fully-armored troops (men at arms, in other words) had to be able to fight both afoot and on horseback. And no, there's no evidence for that kind of rule about articulation. Would men at arms change their leg harness when they got to a battle and dismounted to fight?

Quote:
2: did not they have the equivilent of a cup as added groin protection? Either boiled leather or metal......Something stouter then the average "cod piece".

In the later period some men at arms wore a piece of armor called a "brayette" which resembled a codpiece to some extent, but this is *long* after fully-armored men at arms were the primary combatants on the battlefield. There is no evidence for any other protection through most of the period than the mail shorts or mail skirt.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
So with all those faulds over one's posterior, how does one achieve a proper weld between the rider's buttocks, and the rear shelf of the saddle?

Hi George,

You let the culet overlap the back of the saddle. When Mac was building Toby Capwell's harness (the one I posted the picture of) I asked him the same question, so Mac put the fauld up on the saddle (he built a frame to hold the saddle during construction) and voila! the culet hangs over the part of the saddle that sticks up in the back. If you could see Toby's saddle, it has a high brace at the back kind of like the cantle on a modern western saddle, but very vertical, not laid over as they are on most saddles today (I have a picture of it but I don't know if I'm allowed to post it). Yet if you look at the picture of his harness I posted, you can clearly see Toby sitting down firmly into the saddle.

Edited to add: I will post a picture of a man at arms (St. George, actually) with a harness with a long fauld and culet sitting (well, standing, really--that's part of the point) in the saddle. As you can see, the culet hangs over the back of the saddle and the fauld fits down inside the front. This saddle is a bit different from Toby's in that it doesn't have the high cantle in back, but the principle is the same.

Attachment: 30.8 KB
St George c 1435-compressed.jpg
St. George c 1435

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Kelly Powell

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking of when not actually going to battle they would wear lighter armor.Ie mail or cop for everday protection....much like the differance in a cop wearin his kevlar vest for daily routine vs his ceramic chest plate and all the limb protection.....
As for the footman vs cav armor.....1: there are some troops that will be in the saddle for longer then others.....mounted infantry vs say the winged hussars.....trying to clarify my question....I know I got a lot of bad info in my head and some of that is to be blamed on armor manufacturers, that's where I got the info on "horsemens legs"....It's not that it would be ineffective if they dismounted, but running the articulation thre way theydo would prevent point from going beneath the lames......But just cuz it makes sense does not make it right, either.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:

They are made so that they "compress" when you are seated. Each ring is larger than the next.
The chances that you are hit in the lonins or buttocks would at any rate be slim. If the rear legs where a important target, they wouldn't be the first pieces of armour omited when lightening the suit. (from full to 3/4 harness)

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kelly Powell wrote:
I was thinking of when not actually going to battle they would wear lighter armor.Ie mail or cop for everday protection....much like the differance in a cop wearin his kevlar vest for daily routine vs his ceramic chest plate and all the limb protection.....

Then you're not wrong--men-at-arms habitually rode around in light armor when they were doing light cavalry duties like scouting and raiding, and in some cases (like the Black Prince) they might even go without any armor at all. However, this probably only became applicable in the 12th century or so, after the men-at-arms' armor had begun to accumulate additional pieces like reinforced surcoats/coats-of-plates, great helms, and plate armor for the limbs. Back in the time of the Normans (i.e. the 11th century) the "heavy" kit of hauberk, shield, and helmet was still light enough that Norman scouts didn't seem to have felt the need to strip any of it when they had to play the light cavalry game.

Quote:
As for the footman vs cav armor.....1: there are some troops that will be in the saddle for longer then others.....mounted infantry vs say the winged hussars.....trying to clarify my question....I know I got a lot of bad info in my head and some of that is to be blamed on armor manufacturers, that's where I got the info on "horsemens legs"....It's not that it would be ineffective if they dismounted, but running the articulation thre way theydo would prevent point from going beneath the lames......But just cuz it makes sense does not make it right, either.

I think the information you got was not so much wrong as confusing. I've only ever heard about the "reverse overlap" idea in connection with the scale and/or lamellar armor worn by Roman and Persian soldiers in late antiquity, and somewhere along the line somebody might have mistaken it as a piece of information that applied to medieval plate armor. So, while it wasn't true for medieval plate armor, it might have been true for some types of armor in classical antiquity and for the lamellar pieces worn in Eastern Europe and Byzantine areas.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Footmans harness vs horseman's harness?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic