Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass 'Erbach Bastard Sword' Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Windlass 'Erbach Bastard Sword'         Reply with quote

Was just scanning the Kult of Athena website and noticed this :

looks pretty good for a Windlass sword.

Would be interested in others impressions and comments on this sword.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Corey D. Sullivan

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too am very interested in this sword. There was some commentary on it here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=erbach

Conclusion is that it looks very good for the price, and should be a good value, considering the quality of MRL's latest pieces.

If someone purchases one, I'd love to see a review. Wink

"He had scantly finyshed his saienge but the one armye espyed the other lord how hastely the souldioures buckled their healmes how quikly the archers bent ther bowes and frushed their feathers how redely the byllmen shoke their bylles and proved their staves redy to appioche and loyne when the terrible trotnpet should sound the blast to victorie or deathe."
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I checked this sword out today in particular, although it's pretty nice sword for the money, there's too much play in the blade for my taste, seems kind of like the blade is too thin. Also, I noticed waves in the blade as I looked down the length of the blade from the hilt.
Although the price is much different, Kult of Athena "Does" have the Arms & Armor Schloss Erbach sword in stock, also which I've wielded and it's a very nice sword indeed Exclamation

Hope this Helps!

Bob
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not seen it in person or handled it, but the blade looks too wide in comparison to the A&A piece or the pics I have seen in Records of the original. It also seems a bit short by about an inch. I would not surprised if it is popular, but its not going to be great I imagine. But again, I have not handled it.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bob. Wink

It always helps to get a 'hands on' report of a sword. Its very difficult just going off pictures and raw stats.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bob, how is the weight and balance? Too heavy to use single handed? When you say "play" what do you mean? to much flex, to whippy? thanks foir the input.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is what I put on another site, after handling it in the MRL showroom.

Schloss Erbach: This sword is sweet. The PoB is about 3.5-4" from the hilt, and it just comes alive in your hands. Easily able to be wielded one handed, from a weight perspective, though with two, it flowed from one guard to the next. Great work on the etching for the pommel and guard. It has a decent amount of taper, though not as much of a thruster as others, more of a "big sword" overall. I would classify the blade as "springy" instead of "whippy". There was a decent amount of flex, along with a bit of wobbling when struck on the pommel (about 1" overall). Great looking sword.

I would classify the blade as springy, rather than whippy, compared to other Windlass pieces. The piece is easily wielded with one hand, and handles beautifully. For the price, it is a nice sword. If used against targets, I would hesitate to tackle heavy targets (sticking to lighter ones such as mats or water bottles).
Li Jin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI sir

I too are likely to get this sword, but when I look on the guard of this sword, it looks like it would be pretty over flexible . But I still think is nice looking sword, on the pommel design, but the shape of the sword doesn't look very nice, I heard
there is a same model in Arms and Armour, is $680 in KOA I think.

Jin
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled this sword yesterday in Reliks and I concur with Sean.

This is a handsome, large sword. I suppose I was expecting to feel something massive when I picked it up, but what a surprise: with its relatively light weight and good balance it just seemed to float there in my hand. Quite amazed I was that a sword of this size and price could feel so good. I was not able to swing it in the store of course, but it was clearly a true 1.5 hander, light enough for one hand and room for one to squeeze in a second hand if needed.

The blade was noticeably hollow-ground, wide but rather thin. So it has a mid-rib, but likely not as prominent as the original (this is merely a guess, since I have not seen the original except in pictures). So typical of windlass, the blade was relatively flexible. Perhaps this is a deal-breaker for some.

Nice sword. I would have got it, but I'm trying to focus my collection in other areas.

-JD
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot believe that Bob Burns does not own the A&A Schloss Erbach already. When I got my A&A 12th century, the Schloss was the other contender. The two have similar dimensions. I was going to ask if the A&A Schloss seemed as "springy" as the MRL version, or if it is good and stiff like the A&A 12 th century.

Seems to me the Schloss should have been an even better thruster, given the time period.

BTW, I must admit my bias towards A&A. I know Albion is all the rage, and their swords are great, but A&A has a special understated quality that is hard to define.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jul, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also found this sword to be a little too flexible, or 'whippy'. Windlass swords tend to get that way on the longer blades.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jul, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:

The blade was noticeably hollow-ground, wide but rather thin. So it has a mid-rib, but likely not as prominent as the original (this is merely a guess, since I have not seen the original except in pictures). So typical of windlass, the blade was relatively flexible. Perhaps this is a deal-breaker for some.

-JD

Hi JD

Actually the original is not hollow ground. The blade profile is if anything slightly convex in the plane surfaces of the diamond section. I have not seen the MRL to compare. But the original does not have the type of blade one would call flexible.

Best
Craig
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jul, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When Windlass presents pieces alleged to be based on documented originals I think it's best to ignore that pretense and evaluate them as generic examples of the given types. There are always too many differences to be satisfied if one buys a piece expecting it to be a close reproduction of the original. Buy this sword and you'll get not a reproduction of the Erbach sword, but a hollow-ground Type XVIII with writhen cross and pommel.

The sword probably is a good value. I'd certainly buy one if I didn't already have a nice Type XVIII. I'd work on it, though--at least a new grip, new finish, rebuild....Don't worry about ripples in the blade. I've seen the same thing in a beautiful antique longsword at the Wallace Collection. Almost anything hand-made will have such "imperfections".

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Tim May

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jul, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I definitely have to agree with Sean, any handmade blade will have imperfections, but instead of detracting from the appearance, I really think it makes them more personal, especially when buying a mass produced replica. The quirks you notice on a sword whether in hand or on paper, to me at least, help establish a connection with the sword.

My MRL St. Michael, which by the way has an incredibly stiff though well tempered blade (I could have just gotten lucky), has ripples down the grind, but it really seems to make the sword (which is a bit fancy) much less like a wall hanger and more a true replica.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jul, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed again.

There is something about a sword with an even, factory-machined look that does not feel right to me, whether on the lower end or the high end of the market. (This is not to criticize anyone else's taste, just to point out that different people have different tastes.)

Last edited by J.D. Crawford on Sun 27 Jul, 2008 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jul, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello I have handled the original schloss erbach sword and would like to add that the "writhen" pattern as I believe it is called looks quite different from the picture of the MRL one. Also the blade is incorrect the original is not hollow ground. I have seen the A&A copy and it is just about identical. As far as an exact copy I think the MRL is rather shoddy but it does look like it would make a decent sword by itself, if you want an exact copy buy the A&A one.
Best Regards,
Chase

Charles Stewart Rodriguez

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass 'Erbach Bastard Sword'
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic