Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New old sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: New old sword         Reply with quote

Well I consoled myself with this addition while I wait to recieve my money back from an obvious and amateur paypal dispute. This is a nice M.1845 French Officer Sword dated 1855. It also comes with an "original" sword lanyard.(Hard to say on that score, though it appears to be an old sword lanyard.) It has the Chatellerault Arsenal inscribed on the spine. It also makes up ( a little) for the Chatellerault Mounted Artillery sword I lost out on earlier this year, though that was dated 1821. Still, all in all, I like foot officer swords. They are always a well balanced cut and thrust weapon and never over long in length.
I have one question. Were the M.1845's always leather wrapped? This grip is apparently horn, that has been dyed/stained.

Attachment: 10.08 KB
FRENCHMODEL1845INFANTRY1.jpg

Attachment: 14.09 KB
FRENCHMODEL1845INFANTRY2.jpg

Attachment: 10.93 KB
FRENCHMODEL1845INFANTRY3.jpg

Attachment: 10.08 KB
FRENCHMODEL1845INFANTRY4.jpg

Attachment: 11.79 KB
FRENCHMODEL1845INFANTRY5.jpg

Attachment: 7.54 KB
FRENCHMODEL1845INFANTRY6.jpg

inkothemgard!
Peter G.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulation on your new sword.
I really like the french saber/sworddesign-they manage to make them both elegant and deadly.
I usually donŽt buy swords made after Waterloo (apart my first ever and one used in the 1848 german revolution) but i was tempted more then once.

Thank you for showing

Peter

ps: my new baby just cleared customs if the usps-parceltracking is right-so iŽll be able to post new pics this weekend :-)
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like another nice one Morgan.

I'm wondering when they swapped to iron scabbards on these, I know a great many we see have no scabbard, or they are lether and brass. Mybe I am confusing the German made examples with the issue. I see horn on French officer grade swords quite often and usually without wire. I don't know if the wire is just often absent, or whthere no wire was pretty normal.

The sword knot is (I believe) not correct for this piece. this looks like a cavalry trooper's knot. A nice bonus with the piece but not the knot or portepee one would expect on an infantry officer's sword.

Cheers

GC
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeah, I was suprised to see a metal scabbard as well. But I have decided I like them. A sword makes a nice raspy hiss when you draw it from a metal one. I didnt think the sword knot was correct, but I agree, it is a nice bonus! If anyone has info on a Chatellerault Arsenal M.1829 Mounted Artillery Sabre let me know. It would make a nice companion piece. I like them better than the U.S. M.1840 version. The French model is shorter and has more of a curve to it.
Thanks for the answer to my horn grip question Glen, good to know. Especially if it's true that they maybe didnt use a wire wrap on them.

inkothemgard!

Last edited by Morgan Butler on Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My French M.45 officer field sabre arrived today. It is a sweet weapon, very tight and well balanced. Horn grip is in great shape. We thank Athena for this fine sword!
inkothemgard!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New old sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic