Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gränsfors axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Johansson

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Gränsfors axe         Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new here so I'll probably be butchered by people here for this question...

I have my eyes on Gränsfors' Two-Lugged Beard Axe/Broad Axe: http://gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

I've mailed them asking a little about it and they say it's functional and works great.

Anybody used that one? Is it worth the money (about 1800 SEK/228 USD for me since I live in Sweden)? I wanna hear all about it and about the axes from Gränsfors.

Cheer Happy
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the method of forging they use and the philosophy of their research arevery sound. As far as I can tell they have a good grasp of the story of your historical axes so you should get a first class product.
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually got to handle one of these at a recent knife show. It is a wonderful piece! I couldn't get a real feeling for how it handled (too many people around) but I liked the way it sat in the hand. It's smaller than the pollaxes I'm used too, but I liked it!
Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own Gransfors Bruks' Viking broad axe. Basically, I lucked into it....

It is awesome, as should be expected. The method of construction is based on originals -- the harder steel "head" is welded to a softer iron body, just like real Viking-era axes generally were.

And it's totally functional -- I haven't chopped wood (let alone Saxons or Franks) with it, but I did take on some big nasty chunks of ice this last winter (long story -- the snow removal folks in this town have no idea what they're doing). It worked!

I got it for about half price on eBay. Lucky me! Big Grin

Attachment: 119.94 KB
swords 09 2 001 axe1.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
J. Johansson

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I just placed an order. Unfortunaly I'll have to wait until the end of the year until I can get it, apparently they have problems with production capacity for their relics line. But he who waits on something good never waits too long. Happy
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my wall hanger....mint, never has cut anything but air...

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sell gransfors and have handled most and used many of their axes and this is my favourite of all of them and the price you paid was very fair, so be patient, it will be worth it.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Gränsfors bearded axe with eyesocket and am most pleased with it. I've used various modern axes for splitting wood on camps and for the stove of my parents-in-law over the years, but none of those could ever compare to my trusty Gränsfors axe.

I like the looks of the two lugged beard axe more, but I was concerned it would be less fitted for splitting firewood due to the empty space behind the beard. I have no experience with this type, so I based my purchase on this speculation.
All I can say is that you'll be very pleased with your new axe, as their quality is unsurpassed.
J. Johansson

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben van Koert wrote:
I own a Gränsfors bearded axe with eyesocket and am most pleased with it. I've used various modern axes for splitting wood on camps and for the stove of my parents-in-law over the years, but none of those could ever compare to my trusty Gränsfors axe.

I like the looks of the two lugged beard axe more, but I was concerned it would be less fitted for splitting firewood due to the empty space behind the beard. I have no experience with this type, so I based my purchase on this speculation.
All I can say is that you'll be very pleased with your new axe, as their quality is unsurpassed.

Thanks. Your axe looks rather dark (some sort of paint on the metal I guess?). Did you get the axe that way or is it something you added later on?
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

$228 seems very cheap for what I remember of their prices in the past, and is certainly a bargain for what I have heard of their quality (If I could get a similar price to the UK I might be tempted myself). That said, I don't see a price list anywhere on their site. Is it something you have to request?
J. Johansson

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Emmet J. McGauran wrote:
$228 seems very cheap for what I remember of their prices in the past, and is certainly a bargain for what I have heard of their quality (If I could get a similar price to the UK I might be tempted myself). That said, I don't see a price list anywhere on their site. Is it something you have to request?

Probably, They sent me a pdf-file with their prices on the relics line. In terms of £ they range from 110 - 270, and in terms of $ 180 - 435 (roughly calculated from swedish SEK).
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Johansson wrote:

Thanks. Your axe looks rather dark (some sort of paint on the metal I guess?). Did you get the axe that way or is it something you added later on?

It's rather dark, but it's also because of the photo that it seems darker than it actually is. It isn't painted, but still black from the forge. Here are some photos I took last night to show the colour and finish:

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gränsfors axe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic