Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thats odd, you found something different. these are the GDFB jack chains I received, no fancy elbows on these. I got these in the last week from KOA.

theres a pre-drilled shoulder cop, a pre-drilled elbow rondel, and two links articulating on rings. I have had the same idea as you but you are a little ahead on the curve from me. Big Grin tr
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

these jack chains are made sort of like the ones in the paintings. (cant remember the name sorry). in Lord Greys Retinue we have a member with these pointed to his jack sleeve. works out very nicely. you can see them on the jack laying on the table on the right hand side of the picture: http://www.replications.com/greys/Image%20Gal...CN2552.jpg
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hendrik De Coster wrote:
Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
Thom R. wrote:
Todd - looks really good! Of course there is always a tendency to add too much when one is going for the WOTR mid 15th c infantry look, and then the next thing ya know you're back to full plate again Cool ..... but I think a pair of simple shoulder cops from Allan, tied right over the top of those jack chains, would look good with your elbows etc. TR

LOL..ya see your already adding armor to it Happy

The only thing I need now is a spit catcher (bevor), kettle helm, medeival tent, bench, wine, and someone to sit and drink it with me Happy

I have to say Hendrik's harness is fantastic. I loved his painted Sallet, very sharp! Tip Top!

thanks! a great piece of advise to you might be to also make a livery displaying on which side you fought;)

Hendrik,

I'm an ungly american with Irish decent...I can never stay on one side Happy
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
thats odd, you found something different. these are the GDFB jack chains I received, no fancy elbows on these. I got these in the last week from KOA.

theres a pre-drilled shoulder cop, a pre-drilled elbow rondel, and two links articulating on rings. I have had the same idea as you but you are a little ahead on the curve from me. Big Grin tr

Thom,

GDFB offers 2 different jack chains, one with the elbows and one without, thier 15th century pants also come in 3 different colors now....plain, black, and brown. I'm very happy with thier 15th century pants.
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have to say that while GDFB is definatly a step in right direction, I would not be satisfied with the 15h cent pants they provide. They lack the fit of genuine hose. Most of the clothing that they offer is so. While I will continuously sing their praises about affordable good-quality weapons (pole-arms especially) and armour, (hell I'll even go for one of their gambesons) I would follow the old (and much overused, even if right in this case) advice seen here to save your money and buy properly fitted garmets. The soft kits are the hardest to get right. Happy
"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my 12th/13th century Black Knight kit again with a shield from The Mercenary's Tailor added along with some of his elbow copps, although only the straps are visible.

Attachment: 219 KB
DSCN0081.jpg

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Here is my 12th/13th century Black Knight kit

Your helm is modeled after either the Pembridge helm or Black Prince funerary piece... Both of these date to between 1350-1375 in both construction and style. The size and shape of your heater is roughly useful from 1250 'til about1400 when such shields phased out of popularity, but would be considered "large" by the later decades mentioned. The large plaque belt fits into the 14th century, as well. I'm not sure what sword you're using, and the rest of the kit is a bit anachronistic so I won't bother commenting...

Anyway, definitely not 12th century is the point I'm getting at. I'd say late 13th to mid-14th, at best. Overall, though, it looks like a very well styled kit and I'm sure you get a lot of good impressions from onlookers! Cool stuff.

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know what bums me here? Most, if not all the outfits shown in this thread knock the socks off of many Hollywood movie get-ups. I'd like to see someone who is making a movie take a look at this thread and start contacting you guys to star in or at least be an extra in their movie. Heck, I wouldn't care if they mixed you guys all together so you got 9th century guys clashing with 15th century guys. It would still be neat to see...

On the other hand, maybe that's a bad idea. Someone might get killed in short order, what with all the sharp objects and various arguments on what is actually historically accurate. Wink
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At least, my kit.
It should be a 1360/1370 Italian knight, but I'm still waiting the arm harness I've ordered 3 weeks ago and I have to order the legs one.

By gustovic at 2010-04-26

CLANG!!

Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your helm is modeled after either the Pembridge helm or Black Prince funerary piece... Both of these date to between 1350-1375 in both construction and style. The size and shape of your heater is roughly useful from 1250 'til about1400 when such shields phased out of popularity, but would be considered "large" by the later decades mentioned. The large plaque belt fits into the 14th century, as well. I'm not sure what sword you're using, and the rest of the kit is a bit anachronistic so I won't bother commenting...

Anyway, definitely not 12th century is the point I'm getting at. I'd say late 13th to mid-14th, at best. Overall, though, it looks like a very well styled kit and I'm sure you get a lot of good impressions from onlookers! Cool stuff.

-Gregory[/quote]

Well, okay, if you want to be painstakingly exact, which was never really my goal, you may be right on a few points. Maybe the dating would be 13th century more than 12th for sure. But there are a few reasons I did this the way I did. One, I like the look. Period. Anyone who wants to try to pick it apart for fun, go ahead. But I have my reasons for doing it the way I did, which I feel now needs explaining.
The sword is a Norman by Albion (11th century, right?). The scabbard is from Christian Fletcher. It is made so it looks like an earlier sword in a later scabbard. I ordered the scabbard like that on purpose as well so the sword appears to be handed down, as in fact they were, and I think a sword would outlast a scabbard, which would need replacing eventually. The silver plaqued belt is made by Urweg, with a design taken from the Valsgaerde hemet panels, far earlier than the period shown. I'm aware of that. I also could care less. If it looks good, it works, as far as I am concerned, because I like the double-belted look. There is a lot of silver in both those belts too, which was also uncommon but not unheard of.
The long split surcoat is simply an earlier style that I like. I special-ordered it, and it is leather, which I also know was not common, but I wanted durability as well as good looks.
I just like the helmet design which is a modified "Black Prince," but great helms go way back before the dates you mention, starting around 1220 AD or so. So it's not THAT far off, as great helms go, outside of style perhaps.
The large heater was also for a reason. The large heaters were possibly cut down from older Kite shields, and offered more protection to a knight clad mostly in mail (like mine) compared to a later era knight when plate did more of the job, and the shields got smaller and eventually disappeared. Allen of The Mercenary's Tailor recommended this shape for this kit, and I agree with him.
This whole suit is a more or less transition-era kit, when plate began to be added to areas like the knees and elbows, and the great helm began to show up. I wanted something that covered a broad historical area, in a style that I like, since I can't afford to do this more than once, with bits and pieces from different periods that would still work over a span of perhaps 100-200 years. I have no doubt that most knights mixed and matched pieces all through the centuries as long as they were useful with small regard for what was "PERIOD" unless they could afford to be so persnickety.
There were also rich knights and not-so -rich knights as well as downright poor knights. I went for the not-so-rich look of a knight who made the most of what he had been given, won, or inherited from predecessors, as was certainly the case back then probably more often than not.
Oh yeah, the mail is blackened butted. Not historically accurate either, but how much modern mail really is? I had to cut cost somewhere, and this is a hobby, not an obsession. But it's strong, heavy and rust-free. Works for me.
So that's my reasoning, as well as I can explain it.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Here is my 12th/13th century Black Knight kit again with a shield from The Mercenary's Tailor added along with some of his elbow copps, although only the straps are visible.

I really like your kit Jeff! I have a shield on order from Merc Tailor as well and am really looking forwards to getting it. Where did you get the helmet from?

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also really like that kit, Jeff. Period is always nice, but for the time and money we put into these things, you gotta go with what YOU like. After all, how many people do you run into in that get up who are going to question your pairings of helms and swords, and surcoats? They are just going to see one thing: a REALLY cool looking knight!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

I really like your kit Jeff! I have a shield on order from Merc Tailor as well and am really looking forwards to getting it. Where did you get the helmet from?

Scott

Hi Scott-
Didn't I talk to you on the "Show us your shields" thread? Hello again if I did.
I got the helmet from William Hurt of "Age of Armour." He's a very likable fellow but he is always way backed up on orders since he's pretty much a one-man show. He did all the heat-blackening on the helm after some cosmetic modifications to personalize it for me a bit. A pretty tricky thing to do, from his description. He also made the mantle (with some final trim work by me) and even a period-appropriate liner that is very, very cool, since I wear it a lot of the time without a coif, like in this picture. So I can go either way. What a guy, huh? Give him a shout and see what he has to say. He may remember me if you mention my name and the job.
I am sure you will like your shield. I love mine. Allan never disappoints.
Drop me a pm with your e-mail if you like and I will send you some larger pics that may help you. I have to reduce them down to such a small size on the boards that you really can't see much. The pics are HUGE when opened up full size, though. But you get a lot of nice detail. Nice to talk to you again.

Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Hamilton wrote:
I also really like that kit, Jeff. Period is always nice, but for the time and money we put into these things, you gotta go with what YOU like. After all, how many people do you run into in that get up who are going to question your pairings of helms and swords, and surcoats? They are just going to see one thing: a REALLY cool looking knight!
AA

Amen, brother. That's really what it's all about. FUN!Cool

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff,

I am pretty sure we did talk about you shield in that thread. I also agree with T. Hamilton about having some fun with what you put together. As long as you like that is the important thing! I will also keep you in mind if I do approach William Hurt for any work.

Take care,
Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Jeff, I wasn't trying to put your kit down. It's very lovely. I was just caught off guard by the 12th century remark, because all in all it makes a much more decent early 14th century kit, which certainly means that from an educational perspective it may be worth introducing it as such!

I also didn't notice you were wearing mail. Do you have any closer shots of the kit?

Cheers.

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Mark A Smith

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: My First Kit         Reply with quote

Seeing your pictures, Jeff took me back more than 30 years ago when I put together my first kit and persona. Not having the creativity of some, I based my crest on my son's lego set and called myself Sir Legolas! I had an early Pembrige Helm by Christopher Poor (sold through Museum Replicas pre-Windlass) and a Del Tin 2133 basic Brazilnut Pommel. Before I was ready for full combat I had made my first mail shirt out of those disposible key rings one gets from the locksmith. (Hey, I was young, enthusiastic and dumb!) Knowing nothing about period footwear, I painted my leather Nikes black and hoped no one would look down!

Seeing me in this kit also lead a friend to remark what has since become my signature line:

Attachment: 131.88 KB
Lego Knight.jpg

"...nothing can hurt me as long as I keep this bucket on my head."
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Kit         Reply with quote

Mark A Smith wrote:
Seeing your pictures, Jeff took me back more than 30 years ago when I put together my first kit and persona. Not having the creativity of some, I based my crest on my son's lego set and called myself Sir Legolas! I had an early Pembrige Helm by Christopher Poor (sold through Museum Replicas pre-Windlass) and a Del Tin 2133 basic Brazilnut Pommel. Before I was ready for full combat I had made my first mail shirt out of those disposible key rings one gets from the locksmith. (Hey, I was young, enthusiastic and dumb!) Knowing nothing about period footwear, I painted my leather Nikes black and hoped no one would look down!

Seeing me in this kit also lead a friend to remark what has since become my signature line:

HAHAHA-What a great story. Ah, to be kids again. Well, I'm trying. I like your signature line too. In that vein, I have found my worst enemy when wearing my "pot" isn't what's in front of my face but what's in front of my feet. Nothing looks less heroic than pratfalling over a tree root or tumbling down a hill while wondering where your sword went.

Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Sorry Jeff, I wasn't trying to put your kit down. It's very lovely. I was just caught off guard by the 12th century remark, because all in all it makes a much more decent early 14th century kit, which certainly means that from an educational perspective it may be worth introducing it as such!

I also didn't notice you were wearing mail. Do you have any closer shots of the kit?

Cheers.

-Gregory

No offense taken, Greg. I do admit that you are right, I probably dated it a bit early. I'm just trying to cover a broad area with one attempt, and that does involve some compromises looks-wise, like the earlier surcoat and the later helm. So I just aimed for a "Frank Frazetta" style Black Knight, which is the look I was really after, without getting too far into fantasy-land. I still need a voluptuous scantily-clad woman clinging to my leg though. Here is one more picture if I may impose upon everyone's patience. It's similar to one posted a while back only with a shield, helm and elbow copps this time.

Attachment: 217.96 KB
Black Knight 2.jpg

Mark A Smith

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Black from hoof to plume, the ill-omened knave..."

Gee, Jeff, too bad your boots are still brown! Do you want to borrow my black-painted Nikes? Laughing Out Loud

"...nothing can hurt me as long as I keep this bucket on my head."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 36 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: