Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Christopher! Hopefully the weather will hold out opening weekend of Scarby for you to wear it.
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ha, look at you kneeling... what great articulation on the legs! Q1: did Allan make that helm? Q2: what is the total weight of the kit? (without mail)?
tr
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Troy,

Last time I was at scarby the day was full of drizzle and an off and on hard rain... I still wore the kit. And I will do the same this time around if the conditions are so. Though I won't be taking my poleaxe. I would have to practically wrap the entire thing in leather (they are pretty strict about their weapons policy) and I cannot bear to have the beauty of that thing wrapped up...
Thanks for the compliment.

Hey Thom,

Yes the articulation of the suit is impressive, after standing for long hours, I find kneeling can aide in helping me to recover stamina.

1, Yes Allan made the helm, the articulated Neck Sallet. I was told by quite a few people that there were better choice's out in the market for helms, however I was intent on owning a full suit by Allan and thus from before the time of the first order I placed with him, I was always fond of the articulated neck sallet. I am glad I made this purchase. The helm is great and the wear of the helm feels nice and solid.

2, I am so sorry I cannot answer the question. However I can give an estimate. Without all the details... The maile and armor weighs in at roughly 90~95lbs, the maile weighs in at roughly 25~30 lbs. These are not exact weights because I have since made modifications when that weight was taken. Now with these new pictures the weight is different. I was so happy to get it all on and have a field day with it sort to speak that I completly forgot about pulling out the weight scale (Which I usually do) Next time I am able to suite up I will take those weights.

So I would guess the weight of the armor (plate) itself is around 50~60 lbs (dont forget about all the weight that went into that 90~95 lbs. that being of padded garments, shoes I wore at the time (steel toe boots) and a pouch full of stuff. Along with a large mug for drinking ale)

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice armor Christopher. I see you're enjoying the excellent articulation of Allan's work as well? Perhaps I'll catch a glimpse of it if I make it to Scarby.

Made a couple of updates to the kit before I clank around this upcoming faire. I'm now carrying Valiant Armoury's Malatesta, and have reworked the suspension and made a new swordbelt. You cannot see here, but I'm also wearing a pouch my buddy made. I think it turned out rather well, so I can't resist showing off here. Happy

Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ Chris:
Now you have to find a new period and start over.

I know these are for Ren faires, but I feel I also have to comment on the Pouches worn on the outside of the armour: I feel that a pouch worn on the outside of the armour detracts from the whole thing. No matter how good the harness looks, they reduce it to "badly researched" status.

With respect

Zac
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
@ Chris:

I know these are for Ren faires, but I feel I also have to comment on the Pouches worn on the outside of the armour: I feel that a pouch worn on the outside of the armour detracts from the whole thing. No matter how good the harness looks, they reduce it to "badly researched" status.

With respect

Zac

I get what you're saying, and agree to an extent. It doesn't make much practical sense to wear a pouch outside your harness if you're about to enter the fray, which, is almost surely what you're about to do while wearing full harness. However, I think regarding a harness you see that is intended to be worn while roaming around a ren fair ought to be given a little lee-way as far as a pouch goes. A guy's got to have a way to get to his modern day belongings in that sort of situation, and a period looking pouch is just the best way to do it on the long term.

If you want to look at it in a downright practical sense, there is no purpose for a man to be wandering what is essentially a a hybrid celebration and mercantile in harness in the first place. I'd hold labeling a kit as badly researched for having a pouch at a ren fair as a little harsh really. In combat, or during reenactment, critique away, certainly, but consider the situation. All in good fun at the ren fair, folks.

Cool

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
@ Chris:

...Wha, whaat?... I was just... Awww here I go again. lol

Thanks for that point on the pouch Zac, I do have a soft kit for a squire and this is just the pouch they could wear. I never consider'd that issue, though you are right. I feel lee-way on the faires is just like Robert mentioned. Though If I ever put on a "demo" or anything of the sort I will be sure to leave the pouch "off" of the kit.

btw, Robert I was comparing the "old" and "new" pics of your kit and that sword suspension looks alot better then before, good work on that.

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pouch ..... POUCH ..... " The Horror " Eek! Razz If you looked closely or if it wasn't in the shadows you would have seen my
" CELL PHONE HOLDER " tucked in close behind my pouch. Razz WTF?! ( A little tell tale glint is visible if one looks hard and knows it there in the pic ).

Just a practical consideration in case of a personal emergency.

Actually I never noticed that we never see a pouch on the belt of a knight when in armour ! ( Or do we ! ???, I never noticed that it was or wasn't there either ).

I guess in a world of knights having servants, pages or squires in their service they would have someone to hold they personal civilian effects when in armour but I wonder if they might still have a pouch available if they where armoured but more patrolling their lands or travelling so as to have a place to put some coins or whatever small portable effects they might consider indispensable ?

Anyway, an interesting point I never thought of questioning or read discussed. Wink

NOTE: The above said in good humour and the pouch comment wasn't addressed to my Post or the pic of my kit, just wanted to make this clear as a misreading of my comments above might give the impression I was angry or something which I am not at all: Just having fun with the idea of having some " modern " stuff on one's belt. Wink Happy Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just having fun with the idea of having some " modern " stuff on one's belt. Wink Happy Cool

Now you did it... Now I'm getting all kinds of weird visions of knights with utility belts. Batman style... Wink
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the right Happy
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you check period art, effigies et al the only thing you see hanging from a knights belt is his sword, dagger, and and sometimes on rare occasion a buckler.

No:

cellphones, pouches, batman utility belts or drinking vessels.

The knights of the 1360-1390s would have their belt of knighthood low on the hips.

Note the stupid hair and lack of "dangles"

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."

Last edited by David Teague on Sat 27 Mar, 2010 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thing I've never seen is someone in 15th century doublet wearing a belt and bag. Whenever a belt and pouch is worn its worn over a coat. Ever since I found that out, I've not worn a belt unless I absolutely have to, as my coat isn't finished yet. Things I've done instead: Worn a drawstring purse around my neck inside my shirt, get a friend to carry my stuff, and when all else fails, stuff it in my codpiece.

There are records of people keeping money in their codpieces, but then I'm sure that not everyone nowadays is quite as into historical accuracy as I am.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now I would totally be interested in buying a cod piece.... especially if that cod piece had a secret compartment to hold my value'bels -- I mean wallet.
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess depending on the period you are attempting to portray a small drawstring pouch may be acceptable after looking at the effigies below. On the other hand everything is always up to interpretation. I am guilty of wearing a large leather pouch at the faire as most. I can't help it, I need it. Hahaha. I'm only a pawn in this game. Big Grin

Attachment: 51.81 KB
Hamo de Weston 1189.jpg
Hamo de Weston 1189

Attachment: 49.38 KB
High Ercall Knight 1300.jpg
High Ercall Knight 1300

v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Troy G L Williams wrote:
I guess depending on the period you are attempting to portray a small drawstring pouch may be acceptable after looking at the effigies below. On the other hand everything is always up to interpretation. I am guilty of wearing a large leather pouch at the faire as most. I can't help it, I need it. Hahaha. I'm only a pawn in this game. Big Grin

That's what I get for saying... "If you check period art, effigies et al the only thing you see hanging from a knights belt is his sword, dagger, and and sometimes on rare occasion a buckler."

What I should have said was in the period I've studied... which in this case was the art & effigies of the 1360-1390s. Blush

Looks like the earlier period knights had small purses. Confused

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
Another thing I've never seen is someone in 15th century doublet wearing a belt and bag. Whenever a belt and pouch is worn its worn over a coat. Ever since I found that out, I've not worn a belt unless I absolutely have to, as my coat isn't finished yet. Things I've done instead: Worn a drawstring purse around my neck inside my shirt, get a friend to carry my stuff, and when all else fails, stuff it in my codpiece.

There are records of people keeping money in their codpieces, but then I'm sure that not everyone nowadays is quite as into historical accuracy as I am.

well manly because if your just wearing your doublet and hosen its sorta like going out in your undies Wink so why wear the belt and purse then? the gown is the outer garment in the 15thc its meant to show you off. in my group unless you are working in the fire,woods,training grounds or kitchen slave you have to wear either your gown or your livery.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:

well mainly because if your just wearing your doublet and hosen its sorta like going out in your undies Wink so why wear the belt and purse then? the gown is the outer garment in the 15thc its meant to show you off. in my group unless you are working in the fire,woods,training grounds or kitchen slave you have to wear either your gown or your livery.

Good call on that. The only reason I don't wear a cote all the time is because mine is half finished hanging up in my room. As soon as its done, I'll wear it most of the time. The one exception to that is stuff like fighting, or chopping wood, but then that is, as you say, like stripping down to your vest.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Troy G L Williams wrote:
I am guilty of wearing a large leather pouch at the faire as most. I can't help it, I need it. Hahaha. I'm only a pawn in this game. Big Grin

I'm extremely guilty of this. All day attendance at a renfaire provides me with a need for multiple pouches, hence all of my armor photos contain them.

I know it's inaccurate, but sometimes practicality has to win out.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Matthijs van Halteren

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do Russian and Slavic re-enactment 1000-1250 AD period, so here is my equipment, still havent finished the mail on my helmet yet as I ran out of rings.
This year I will buy a steel lamellar armour and a hauberk and plan on making a gambeson

And here is a picture in my clothes I made
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I especially like the blunt saber. Who made it?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 32 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: